Today I want to talk about tools for success.
1. A food scale.
This has been very important on my road to successfully getting rid of my excess weight. We can only determine correct portions, therefore correct point’s values, if we know the size of our portions. My scale has helped me to learn what my portion sizes look like. So, when I cannot use it I have a better idea of how close it is.
2. Measuring spoons
- another great tool for correctly getting the portion sizes down. I especially use these when measuring high fat foods - oils, nut butters. A slip on these measurements can add many points to your day.
3. Measuring cups
- yet another tool we need to determine correct portion sizes. Measuring out your healthy whole grains are important also. These foods tend to be higher in calories and the size does matter.
4. Blender - This is great for times when I am short on time and I want to get in lots of nutrients. Some ingredients I use are milk, fruit, protein powder, ice, yogurt, flax seed, peanut butter…………. Blending smoothies
can be very satisfying for in between snacks also. They can also feel like a treat when you want something special.
5. Kitchen Table - yes your table!!! That is where I work on eating all of my meals. Sometimes I eat at my desk while working – trying to wean away from this. When standing in front of the refrigerator or over the sink we tend to forget what we ate and leave them out of our journal. Our hips remember them even when we don't!
6. Body Scale
is a great way to see our success but it is not the only measure of our success. I don't like to weight myself every day because those weight fluctuations can affect me. If they don't affect you weighing daily is okay, but I prefer to weigh in weekly.
7. Tape measure
- This is another great way to measure your success. When results are not showing on the scale you can still be slimming down due to exercise.
8. Lunch tote
- as my WW leader calls it a "4 later bag". Always pack some healthy snacks to take along with you when you leave the house. You never know when you will be stuck and need something healthy to carry you over. Remember just because you pack it doesn't mean you have to eat it! My bag that I bring to work has two snacks, lunch and the rest of my breakfast!
9. Shopping list
- never go food shopping without a list or on an empty stomach. This will help you to stay on your food plan for the week.
- It is a great way to stay connected when you need that extra boost of confidence or motivation! I email and log on to Spark.
11. Crock pot - A great way to ensure I have a healthy meal to come home to after a long day at work.
12. My sneakers
and my exercise equipment
- I need them to keep myself active and ensure I earn those Activity Points! Exercise is one aspect that has helped me to maintain my weight loss all this time.
13. My journal (a small pretty notebook)
and pen. I probably should have listed this first and not last - or maybe I saved the best for last! My notebook and pen follows me every where I go. I am always writing in there even if I don't do well. I log everything I eat and drink or pick on in the book. It helps to keep me honest. I track my daily target points, activity points and my weekly points used at the back of the book.
14. My Goals
- My journal again - In the front of the book I list my goals – Daily, Weekly, 12 Week, Yearly and very long term. I work on reading them often to keep them in the front of my mind!
"We become what we think about all day long".
Ralph Waldo Emerson, philosopher
"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up."
Thomas Edison, inventor
What are your Tools for Success?