Fall - Fresh Start
Friday, September 17, 2010
I am so glad that I logged onto Sparkpeople today because I’ve been kind of off and on for a little while now and haven’t been very consistent with anything, but I read a blog by Coach Nicole about reasons to make a fresh start this Fall, reevaluate your goals and plan, and try some new things. I too have always felt that Fall was a magical time of year and perfect to start over, which is what her blog has inspired and motivated me to do. She mentioned that it would be good to blog about your goals and reasons for wanting to lose weight, especially now that the body baring season is coming to a close. So here I go…
Starting weight on Friday, September 17, 2010 – 169 lbs, size 14 pants (So embarrassed to even type this and this is heaviest weight I have ever been at)
Goal – Lose at least 30 lbs to get to 139 lbs, by losing 1 lb a week
Reasons for wanting to lose weight:
• My 3 yr old son. I feel so lethargic most times and sometimes too tired to play with him the way he wants me too. I also do not want to ever feel like I can’t take him somewhere because I’m too embarrassed about my weight, too tired, etc.
• Yoga. I am currently finishing the last 2 months of my yoga teacher training (I will finish in November) and it has been a longtime dream of mine to be a yoga teacher. The training has helped me learn so much about myself and who I want to continue to strive to be, but my weight is holding me back from exploring all my options. I feel like:
o 1) I can’t do some of the poses to my fullest potential because my weight and rolls of extra fat around my belly keep betting in the way.
o 2) Lack of confidence in my appearance when other people watch me practice. I sometimes feel like people will not want to take a class that I teach because physically I am not pleasing to the eye right now, which is making me doubt my ability to teach, and if lack the confidence I need to get up in front of people, maybe I shouldn’t teach at all.
• Health. Last year I got sick an awful lot and almost ended up in the hospital. Thank goodness I didn’t, but I don’t want to end up in that position this winter. As a single mom, I can’t afford to get sick and possibly end up getting my son sick too.
• Doing more. There are so many more things that I want to do in my life and try. Losing weight, getting fit, and eating healthier will definitely help me experience my life more fully – no question.
How am I going to do this?
- 30 minutes cardio dvd, at least 5x’s per week. I plan to get up 30 minutes earlier in the morning, but if things don’t always work out the way I plan I need to remember not to give up on everything and try to do something I night, no matter how tired I am.
- Weight training 3x’s per week. I will use the weights in the gym at my workplace on my 30 minute lunch break. I should be able to do this no problem. It’s the cardio that I hate right now.
- Yoga practice, at least 15 minutes each day, even if it is while I am watching tv. It really does help me to sleep and I know all the benefits for my mind and body. I feel yoga is necessary to my survival!
- Eating 5 servings of fruits and vegetable per day.
- Knowing that I will probably fail if I go on a super strict “diet”, I will practice thinking more about making recipes and meal plans for my week using healthier, and fewer non-processed foods, but not to give up again if I fall of the wagon for 1 or even 2 meals. I will pick myself back up and try, try again.
- Knowing it is okay to snack, but in moderation and think of why I am eating before I start a binge.
- Consistency, consistency, consistency. So many times I give up on everything if things don’t work out exactly the way I plan. I cannot do this if I want to succeed this time.
- Having support. I know that I need to log onto SP daily for little bursts of motivation and to get the support I so desperately need right now.
Anyway, thanks for reading and letting me just put it all out there. I need to take all the little steps every day to really accomplish all my goals – I feel strong in motivation right now, but I think this will help me in a few weeks when the new, fresh feelings may start to wear off a little bit.