Monday, August 02, 2010
.. which .is almost 4 miles!
I live more or less in the middle of nowhere - but it sure is a beautiful nowhere! I went out for my walk tonight and thought, yet again, how absolutely lucky I am to be able to walk where I walk b/c these are the things I see on a regular basis on my walks:
1. Deer - the last few evenings it's been a doe and her twin fawns - about 20 feet away!
2. Baby bunnies - everywhere and too many to count
3. Birds - yellow finches, red cardinals, blue birds, purple martins, buzzards, hawks, sparrows, swallows, and last night's favorite - a hummingbird along the pine trees.
4. The 3 Amish farms - complete with cows, mules, horses, and a donkey (they were teaching it to 'drive' the other evening - thing brayed like no tomorrow :)
5. Flowers - every color of the rainbow - I'll make the list another day (but at least 25 different ones - and that's just the wild ones. I also pass cultivated gardens - that's another huge list.
6. Trees - More kinds than flowers - I'm not too good at recognizing trees - so I just look at all of the varied shades that green can be :-)
7. Cats, dogs, horses - every color, every size!
8. Neighbors - I'm out so often we are all waving to each other now :)
9. Two brooks (creeks) which I stop at and use as an excuse for a 7th inning stretch - but it's really so I can look to see if there are any fish or critters getting a drink!
10. The clouds - if I time my walk just right, I'm walking home when the clouds are orange, pink, and purple...it just doesn't get any better than this!
Tonight, two of the huge beautiful golden Amish work horses were playing (fighting???) - and rearing up on their hind legs so it looked like they were standing on 2 legs... it was amazing... and they did it at least 5 or 6 times before they went back to the business of grazing... I felt like I was in the middle of Wild Kingdom... I actually stopped as did a truck driving by - they had to have stood at least 12 feet tall...and I got to witness it.
I could drive to one of the many different parks we have around here - but with the scenery I have, I happy just to walk around my block every day!