As I close in on 100 pounds lost, I've been thinking about how far I've come in just 10 months... losing 97 pounds makes SUCH a huge difference in my life! Here are some of the note-ables:
1. I used to have to hold my breath to bend over and tie my shoes. I even avoided shoes that had to be tied, for this reason. Now, I don't even think twice about bending over, and it certainly doesn't make me lose my breath.
2. I used to sit down very slowly into a chair, for fear of breaking it. I exceeded the weight limit of most lawn chairs. I used to have a nice leather couch, and one day when I sat down too hard, I heard the wood break. Now, I know that if I break a chair, it wasn't MY fault--it was a faulty chair!
3. I used to feel very shameful buying candy or junk food because of what people would think. Now, I feel just as entitled as everyone else to buy junk, and I don't feel like people are staring at me thinking how fat I am.
4. I used to have a large open gap in my bath towel when I wrapped it around me--it just wouldn't go all the way around. Now, I can wrap it around me and overlap it with comfort.
5. Sex is TOTALLY different... in a good way!
6. I never used to be able to curl my legs up underneath me, or sit Indian-style or cross-legged. Now, I can do all of that with ease. I even sat Indian-style on my chair at the movie theater!
7. It took me a while to figure out why I had bruises just inside of each of my knees... I discovered it was because my knees can actually TOUCH each other now! When I sleep on my side, the bones press together and that's how I got the bruises.
8. I used to have to take breaks while blow-drying my hair, because my arms got sore from holding them up for more than a minute or two at a time. Now, I can blow-dry my whole head and never feel achy.
9. I can paint my toenails now! I used to not be able to bend over long enough to paint them.
10. I can take off my wedding rings now! They were stuck on my finger for more than 5 years.
11. When I go shopping, I don't automatically look for the largest size clothes and see if there is something I like. I look for clothes I LIKE first, then I look to see if it's in my size.
12. I don't feel horrified when I see pictures of myself. In the past, I HATED getting my picture taken, and now I kind of like it.
13. I used to snore and have sleep apnea, and now I sleep quietly and soundly :)
14. When I went to the doctor, they used to have to get out a larger-size blood pressure cuff to fit around my arm. Now, I can use the regular cuff just fine.
15. I used to be hot all the time... even when everyone else was freezing. Now, I'm always cold.
16. In group photos, I always used to stand in the back, trying to hide behind everyone. Now, I enjoy being in front.
17. I received a gift certificate for a massage two Christmases ago. I waited almost until it expired t use it, because I was embarrassed. Finally, I went to use it, and the spa robe wouldn't fit around me. I was horrified. Now, I KNOW I could fit into the robe.
18. When I go for walks, I love to see my shadow now--I can actually see nice curves in the right places.
19. I used to avoid hugging people because I didn't want them to feel my fat. Now, I enjoy hugging people.
20. I used to get winded just walking around my house. Now, I run 5k three times a week.
21. I once drank corn syrup right out of the bottle because I had such a strong sweet craving and we didn't have anything sweet in the house. Now, I can eat just about anything without added sugar (or sweetener). My sweet tooth is very sensitive now :)
22. I used to sweat just SITTING, and it was horribly embarrassing. Now, I love that I get super sweaty on my runs (and that I don't sweat unless I'm exercising).
23. When I hold up a pair of jeans, I think, "There is NO WAY I can fit into those! They're so small!" But then I try them on, and they FIT.
24. When my older son Noah was learning to ride a two-wheeler, I sat in a lawn chair and my sister ran along side the bike, because I couldn't do that. When it was my younger son Eli's turn to learn, I ran up and down the street with his bike over and over again. It was ME that taught him!
25. I asked the man working at a liquor store if he sold any other beer that was under 70 calories per bottle. He looked at me and said, "You don't need to worry about calories!" This meant a lot to me because he didn't KNOW about my weight loss. He only talked to me for a moment and assumed I was a thin person.
26. I used to worry about sharing a hotel room with other people, because I snored so loudly. Now, I don't snore at all and I'm more than happy to share a room.
27. I never thought that FEET could be fat, but they, too, went down a whole size.
28. Some girls have told me to stop losing, because I'll be TOO skinny... you know that means they only view me as competition! ;)
29. I've developed a whole new set of taste buds... I used to hate fish, and now it's part of my regular menu. I think certain foods are "too sweet" now. I love garbanzo beans! And OATMEAL. My goodness, I could eat oats for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
30. I used to head straight for the Women's section of department stores. Now, I can shop Misses or even Juniors.
31. I used to wake up feeling sore and achy. Now, I feel refreshed when I wake up.
32. I used to plan my day around binges--thinking about what I would binge on later. Now, I plan my days around my runs--I make sure to get in 3 runs a week, whenever I can.
33. I used to get embarrassed and try to hide when I would see an old friend while out and about. Now, I stop to chat with them.
34. I never used to eat breakfast. Now, breakfast is my FAVORITE meal of the day (oatmeal!)
35. When walking the half-marathon at my heaviest, I thought that everyone would look at me and say to him/herself, "Well, if SHE can do it, I certainly can!" At the 2010 half-marathon, I was passing up people that were MUCH thinner than me.
36. I used to worry that I was an embarrassment to my family, because they are all thin. Now, I fit right in for the family pictures and I look like I belong.
37. I used to avoid social situations because of how fat I was and how embarrassing it was for people to see me like that. Now, I love to wear a cute outfit and spend time with friends.
38. I used to think my husband was a liar when he told me I was pretty. Now, I believe him.
39. I'm not embarrassed to talk about how much I love certain foods anymore, even if it's a junk food. As a fat person, I thought it would be humiliating to say "I love cookies!" Now, I feel like it's okay to say that I love chocolate so much I would marry it if I could.
40. When I was fat, I used to wonder if every ache or pain in my chest was a heart attack. Now, I know that the odds are very unlikely that I'd be having a heart attack.
41. My husband and I can lie next to each other on the couch now.
42. When my husband and I take a shower together now, we can trade places without bumping up against the walls of the shower.
43. My underwear doesn't look like a slipcover for an over-sized arm chair anymore. I can buy cute undies!
44. I used to shower 2 or more times a day in the summer because I was worried that the sweating would make me smell bad. Just one shower is definitely enough now :)
45. I used to feel invisible when at a store--nobody would really pay any attention to me. Now, as shallow as it is to say it's because of my weight, people look and smile and offer to help me.
46. If I'm cold at a friend's house, I can ask to borrow a sweatshirt. In the past, I used to pretend I was comfortable just because I knew her shirt would never fit me.
47. I don't have to take pictures at certain angles to get rid of my double chin... I simply don't have a double chin now!
48. I feel worthy of saying, "I'm hungry" or "I'm starved!" When I was fat, it would have been almost like a joke to admit to being hungry at 253 pounds.
49. My husband can wrap his arms around me far enough to touch his elbows.
50. I never used to drink water. Now, I drink an entire quart first thing in the morning, and I get an additional quart or two throughout the day.
51. I've set goals that I never would have thought possible when I was 253 pounds... like run a 5k, 10k, 15k, even a half-marathon. I truly believe that I can do those now.
52. I've come to terms with the fact that I CAN'T "be like everyone else" when it comes to eating and drinking what I want, when I want. I'll have to do my own thing for the rest of my life, but I'm actually okay with that.
53. I've really started to recognize signs of physical hunger (the not-so-obvious-as-my-tummy-gro
wling kind of signs)--headache, empty feeling, crabbiness, weakness. I've learned that my stomach doesn't growl until long after I first get hungry.
54. I truly ENJOY eating the foods I eat. I don't eat anything I don't like. In fact, I haven't eaten a single salad throughout my entire 97-pound weight loss!
55. I actually enjoy drinking my coffee black and unsweetened now. I used to put about 1/4 cup of creamer in ONE cup of coffee! And not to even mention the amount of sugar...
56. The closer you get to your goal weight, the faster the clothes sizes drop.
57. I've actually been hit on by men since losing the weight. That never happened when I was fat.
58. Knitting is one of my passions, but I never wanted to make garments that I would wear--it takes a heck of a lot of yarn and a lot more time. Now that I can knit a size small or medium, knitting sweaters is definitely an option for me! And I did--I've made two sweaters so far.
59. Numerous people have told me that I inspire them. That just blows my mind! I've never been "the success story" before.
60. I used to have horrible insomnia, and I would toss and turn all night long. Now, I sleep soundly (provided my kids actually let me!)
61. I've saved a LOT of money from eating at home. We used to eat out and order in very often, but now we never do. I truly enjoy home cooked food much more than restaurant food, and it's so much healthier.
62. When I went to see the gynecologist for my annual pap smear, I asked her about a lump I felt just under my breast. She informed that it was my rib! lol
63. I can see my knee bones now. Before, it was just a big round joint, and now it's angular.
64. I can see the bones in my hands and feet, too.
65. I actually FEEL feminine now. When I was 253 pounds, I felt like a sexless blob.
66. Feeling feminine gives me the desire to style my hair, wear make-up, and wear cute clothes.
67. Hell, I even wear cute pajamas now! No more of my husband's t-shirts.
68. I make everything accommodate MY lifestyle now--if I'm going to a party and I don't think the food fits in with my plan, I simply don't eat it (I eat in advance). I don't let anyone make me feel guilty for doing what's best for ME.
69. My blood pressure is now 90/60! I've never had HIGH blood pressure, but it was about 120/80.
70. My resting heart rate is 50... it used to be 75.
71. I can wear cheap jewelry now--the cute necklaces, rings, and bracelets actually fit.
72. My hands used to go completely numb sometimes, especially when I was sleeping. That hasn't happened at all since I've lost the weight.
73. I don't feel self-conscious about what is in my grocery cart anymore... because 95% of what I buy is healthy food!
74. I feel really good about cooking dinner for my kids, because I know they are eating healthy. I make one meal for the whole family, I don't do a "diet" meal for myself and a "regular" meal for my family.
75. I enjoy food even MORE now--sweet foods taste sweeter, spicy foods taste spicier, creamy foods taste creamier, etc. It's like I have brand new taste buds that are super sensitive (in a good way!)
76. I used to get excited to go to events like weddings and parties because of the food. Now, I rarely even eat at the events, and instead I enjoy spending time with people.
77. I rarely get cravings for any particular food anymore. And if I do, it's for something completely random (like an english muffin, or a really crisp apple, or oatmeal).
78. I used to worry about getting sweat spots under my arms, and I would have to choose a shirt that wouldn't show the spots. Now, I only sweat while exercising.
79. I used to not be able to fit into certain chairs, or it was a very tight squeeze (chairs with arms). Now, I usually have room on either side of me to spare.
80. I used to love wearing oversized clothes in order to hide my body. Now, I only wear fitted clothes and I get rid of all clothes that are even a little bit big.
81. I choose what to eat based on whether it's really worth the calories. At the beginning of my journey, eating a 100 calorie pack of cookies was no big deal, because I could eat a lot more calories. Now that I can eat a much smaller amount of calories, the 100 cal pack of cookies is a HORRIBLE deal. I would never waste 100 calories on something so small and not-tasty!
82. I successfully gave up white flour for Lent. If you had told me just a year ago that I would do that, I would have laughed in your face. I enjoy whole grains a lot now!
83. Once in a while, I have a dream that I binge like I used to, and it makes me feel horrible. When I wake up, I'm SO RELIEVED that it was just a dream!
84. When I buy clothes, I can only plan on wearing it a couple of times before it's too big... so I shop at thrift stores and look for clearance items.
85. My bowels are very "regular" now... and that's all I'm going to say about that ;)
86. I've lost almost 4 inches in my neck... my NECK!
87. My BMI category went from "morbidly obese" to "obese" to "overweight"... and now less than 13 pounds from being "normal".
88. My thighs used to get chaffed from rubbing together. Now, they barely brush together when I walk.
89. I used to be too self-conscious to wear shorts. I would suffer all summer long in jeans. As soon as the temp went up this year, I bought about 10 pairs of shorts.
90. I went from a 24W down to a size 8 in just 10 months.
91. I used to look at old pictures of me when I was thinner, and wish to look like that again. Or anywhere even close to that! However, now I am THINNER than I was in those pictures! It's a very strange feeling.
92. I walked a half marathon at 253 pounds, and one year later, at 165 pounds. It was a MILLION times easier and SO MUCH MORE FUN the latter time.
93. My alcohol tolerance is much lower, now. I used to be able to drink a 6-pack of beer and not feel a thing. Now, my limit is 1-2 drinks before I start to feel like it's too much.
94. You know how when you get to a certain age, and someone asks how old you are, you have to stop and think for a minute? Well, I do the same thing with my weight. A lot of times, I still start off by saying, "Two--I mean, ONE hundred fifty-six pounds". It's going to take a while to get used to it.
95. I used to "hoard" my WW points/calories for late in the day. I was always worried that if I use them now, I'll be STARVING later. Now, however, I use them when I'm hungry and in turn, I'm rarely hungry later in the day after using my calories. Also, I always used to think I had to save my "dessert" for a bedtime snack. Now, I eat my daily dessert whenever I feel like having something sweet!
96. When I sit down, my stomach doesn't rest on top of my thighs anymore.
97. I can fit into ONE LEG of my old size 24W jeans!