The race for The Cure

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Last night as I was almost finished with my blog, we lost our electricity. When it came back, my blog was gone, of course. So hopefully I can get this done today.
So I woke early as usual and I dressed in my new running suit. I will post the pictures on my webpage. It fits perfectly and I felt good. I had a small breakfast. My trainer said that carb loading was a bad idea unless I wanted to visit the porta-potties.
I left the house by 6 and headed to the Metro. When I got there, it was a mass of pink! I don't think there was anyone there who was not going to the run. I saw three young ladies in a suit much like mine, but stenciled on their rear was "Save The Boobies" Each girl had one word on the backside and they stayed in the proper line.
I talked to dozens of people. We got to the Smithsonian station and when I came out onto the mall I was speechless! I later heard that there were 55,000 people in the race and probably half that many others. The Mall was wall to wall people. It reminded me of the days of the protest marches.
I walked the several blocks to the registration tent and gave them a late donation from my boss. It raised my total to $1000.00 so I was pleased.
After that I went to look for my team, the NOVA Sparkers. I must have been late because they have gone. I really didn't mind since there was SO much going on. I noticed a large stage really packed with ladies in pink shirts. These were the breast cancer survivors. Someone told us that one of The ladies there had been a survivor for 35 years. There were speeches and we were addressed by the founder of the Race for The Cure, the sister of Susan Komen.
Finally it was time! The runners were to leave first and we had a countdown. About 10 minutes later it was the walkers turn. I got as close as I could, a block or two from the actual start. Everyone started moving and I couldn't find space to run at first. But soon I was able to find some space. I started to run but it was not easy at first to get throughthe crowd. But I ran for most of the first mile slow but steady. The crowds on the sides of the streets were cheering us on. There were people dressed in costumes and there were the Redskin's cheerleaders. It was wonderful! I talked to people and I passed out at least a dozen spark cards.
I walked most of the second mile because the sun was very hot and I was sweating like a racehorse. But I ran when I could. As I turned a corner there was a water station, I had already drank both of the bottles of water so I was happy to see that. I took one cup and poured it over my head. The second I took with me. Finally I looked and there was the finish line! I was so excited that I ran though it. I wasn't even really that tired, just hot.
They had an area where you could get drinks and yogurt and all sorts of stuff. I was so excited, I went running through it before I realized it.
I was told that I could go to the prize tent and pick up my gifts. I did so and then as I was walking back with my goodies, I saw a group of people over by the team area. I was lucky because the team captain, Louisa recognized me.
There were many hugs and I got intoduced all around. I had my picture taken with them and we arranged a later meeting at a local coffee place near where I live.
We all decided we were hungry (I was starved) and so we walked over to Union Station, our train station, just a few blocks away. We went to the food court and had lunch. We chatted like the close friends I realized we were.
I was eager to get home and so I said my goodbyes and headed home.
U was just thrilled with my wonderful day. I fully intend to do a 8K in September and a 10K on Christmas Eve. I never felt any better than I did while I was there.
My time was nothing great-1 hour and 4 minutes but OMG! a year ago, 3.2 miles would have taken me a week to walk. I am so proud that I challenged myself.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    Loved the blog. Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. You're doing GREAT! Congratulations on doing the run/walk and doing it WELL! Love, Dawn
    2836 days ago
    Great story--what an accomplishment for you! I'm happy to hear about your future race goals, too. Once you do one race, you never go back--only forward. emoticon
    2840 days ago
    I so enjoyed meeting you although I was late meeting back up with everyone since I stopped to shop after the race, LOL.

    I had started this Race for the Cure team back in February when a few of us talked about it and decided we would do it. I never dreamed we would have gotten 17 team members and raised so much money! And our total online doesn't even include the donation you (or anyone else) dropped off at the race, meaning we WELL surpassed $3000! I will definitely start our team for the 2011 race in the next week or so. A lot of people won't be ready to join yet, but at least the team will be there and people can join when they are able or ready. With a whole year ahead of us, we can get a huge team and really have a long time for donations. I'm thinking maybe yard sales, etc for donations.

    emoticon for all your hard work and emoticon on a job well done with the race!
    2841 days ago
    Congratulations Mary Lou!!! I am so proud of you!! Sounds like you really had a fun day! Thanks for writing it all up for all of us to read! Hugs, Nancy

    2841 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.