I am part of a Biggest Loser challenge....the 1st challenge is to list 5 things on a blog that would motivate me during the 10 weeks of the Summer Challenge. I am not a blogger, but I am a team member, so here goes my 1st blog…
1. My vacation in August – I think that was the real reason I became serious this time to lose weight. My husband, our daughter and I are going to my home country in August. We have not been there for 4 years, and I gained 30LBS (yikes!) since then. When you see someone all the time, the slow gain is not so apparent. But this drastic change and my friends’ eyes on me would make me feel very embarrassed. Being on SP for 3 months helped me to lose 11 lbs. I am counting on the Summer Challenge to help me to lose more.
2. My athletic nature – I had been going to the gym until about 8 years ago. I loved it, and I always had my gym bag with me. So the change towards a healthier life style now is not that foreign to me.
3. My love for recreational sports - Last year for the 1st time I was not able to get up on water skis. What a frustration that was. I probably tried for an hour or more until I couldn’t feel my arms and the boat was getting low on gas (and I had to wear my husband’s life vest because mine did not fit). And this year I went snow skiing 1st time after 7 years. It made me want to be in shape even more. Snow skiing – downhill or x-country - is my favorite recreational activity, so I am not ready to retire! My husband and I did a few scuba diving trips in the past. I would like to do more diving instead of just looking at the Scuba diving magazines. And I can’t wait to play tennis with my daughter, and learn roller skating with her. Thoughts about these activities with my family are a huge motivation for me. If 2-3 years ago my daughter and I ran and I would slow down to let her “win.” Now I have to really trick my 6y.o. so I can win sometimes in running.
I think it’s time to get in shape!
4. My passion is in clothing – And I don’t mean shopping. I teach apparel construction courses in Fashion Design Department. Our students are in-tuned with style, trends, and fashion. Getting dressed into larger sizes, I look less and less like a Fashion Design Instructor. And I must be a role model and inspiration to my students. Of course, my skills and my knowledge for students are number 1, but if I read about “a little black dress” I would love to be able to wear one.
5. My competitive nature – somebody said Summer Challenge…. competition between teams? I am in! I love to be on a team. I miss it from my PE classes and other competitions in High school. And in fact, it’s fantastic to be a part of a small team. Since I joined SparkPeople in February, I have started to feel special connections with a few Spark People, but I was still feeling lost with so many teams. Now I look forward to the messages from my team members every day! And I truly hope to be a good Spark friend to my team to motivate when needed.
6. This is for an extra credit for being late with my blog
– When I turned 40 two years ago, all I heard “40 is a new 30.” And I wanted to scream “for whom?” Gaining weight, loosing spark in me, feeling sad about all of it – I got to change this, and I shouldn’t feel that 40 is to blame for all of it. Getting into exercising again is making me feel so great.