Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Here is a list of books that I highly recommend to our members who are struggling to overcome disorderd eating behaviors, poor body image, and obsessions with food and weight:
1. Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls by Mary Pipher, Ph.D.
2. Hunger Pains: The Modern Woman's Tragic Quest for Thinness by Mary Pipher, Ph.D.
3. (This is my top recommendation!) Intuitive Eating; A Recovery Book for the Chronic Dieter; Rediscover the Pleasures of Eating and Rebuild your Body Image by Evelyn Tribole & Elyse Resch.
4. It's Not About Food: Change your Mind; Change your Life; End your Obsession with Food and Weight by Carol Emery Normandi & Laurelee Roark
5. How Much Does Your Soul Weight? Diet-Free Solutions to your Food, Weight, and Body Worries by Dorie McCubbrey Ph.D.
6. Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food by Susan Albers
7. The Art of Happiness: A Handbook for Living by HH The Dalai Lama & Howard C. Cutler, MD