Tuesday, March 23, 2010
Last Monday is a day my family will not forget for a long time. Our house caught on fire and is a total loss. Thankfully, everyone is safe and we have found a new place to live for the next year or so. It will take some getting used to being back in an apartment but it close to our house which allows us to keep my son in his same school and doesn't really change our routines.
It appears the fire started from a space heater being too close to the sofa the night before and it smoldered until the morning when my son noticed the smoke. Thankfully he got out of the house and was waiting for me when he saw it burst into flames and then called 911. The fire engines arrived very quickly but it was too late.
Last week, I felt that I had gotten a handle on life and was going to get back into my routine and then that happened. In spite of the stress, I did my best to focus on the positive aspects of my life. The love and support of several neighbors warmed my heart which helped me ignore that another neighbor was videotaping the fire and laughing with her friends. Funny thing there...the other neighbors were shocked by this and told me that they were uncomfortable around her after that. Moments like that expose a person's true colors to be sure.
All of my exercise equipment is gone and the apartment complex has a gym but the equipment is pretty anemic...going to sign up at a gym this week and keep moving towards my goals.
Here are a couple of pics of the inside of the house...they are kinda grainy as I took them on my cell phone but I think you will get the idea.