Today I got to thinking about my weight loss journey. I have been feeling a little down on myself because of what I have not done. Then, I started thinking about what I have done . . . and that took me back to thinking about what I have not done in a more positive light. I know that probably doesn’t make sense, so let me explain.
1. I have lost 50 pounds . . . I have not reached my goal— but I only have 20 pounds more to go.
2. I have maintained this weight loss for 2 years . . . I have not become one of the 95% of people that gain the weight back.
3. I have joined a gym . . . I have not become one of the people who pays for their membership but never goes.
4. I have been going to the gym 4-5 times a week for almost one year . . . I have not been inconsistent in my workouts.
5. I have gained muscle mass and firmed up . . . I have not been repulsed by the muscles I have built up-- in fact, I love them!
6. I am accustomed to hydrating my body with lots of water . . . I have not given up caffeine, but I have cut back.
7. I have learned to eat 4-6 servings of fruits and vegetables everyday . . . I have not complained about washing them, cutting them, cooking them or eating them.
8. I have lowered my blood pressure . . . I have not raised my LDL “bad” cholesterol.
9. I have raised my HDL “good” cholesterol . . . I have not missed the fried and fatty foods I used to eat.
10. I have been enjoying shopping in the regular-sized women’s section . . . I have not missed the plus-sized section at all.
11. I have been able to wear the high heels I love . . . I have not missed wearing the practical shoes I had to wear when I weighed 220 lbs.
12. I have slipped up and had bad days . . . I have not let myself fall back into that old “all or nothing” mentality.
13. I have gotten right back on track after over indulging . . . I have not gotten mad at myself for being human.
14. I have learned to think positively . . . I have not allowed myself to harbor the negative thinking patterns I once had— no more violin playing for me!
15. I have come to like the person I see in the mirror . . . I have not set unreasonable expectations for myself— like looking like a supermodel.
16. I have come to accept a bulge here and a stretch mark there . . . I have not returned to self-defeating notions of perfection that set me up to fail.
17. I have come to learn that there is beauty in imperfection . . . I have not compared myself to others like I used to.
18. I have become accustomed to the fact that my husband can wrap his arms all the way around me . . . I have not missed the size 44 DD bras I used to wear— my 36 C’s are just fine with me and with him.
19. I have accepted that my husband thinks I am a sexy Goddess . . . I have not argued with him over this fact like I used to when I was heavier.
20.I have accomplished so much . . . I HAVE NOT GIVEN MYSELF ENOUGH CREDIT FOR EVERYTHING I HAVE MANAGED TO DO!!!
Be kind to yourself; remember success is a journey not a destination; and don’t forget we are all on this road together. Together, fellow Sparkers, we can triumph against all odds!