Wednesday, January 13, 2010
We all know what the real "tricks" to losing weight or getting healthy are a low-fat, nutritious diet, and exercise. To save more money on healthy-eating, make foods ahead of time that are cheap and convenient. Here are some tips to saving money while eating better:
* Instead of spending money on chips, cookies, and other snacks that are not good for you, think of inexpensive and convenient healthy snacks that you can substitute.
* If you spend a little time preparing snacks before you need them, you can save even more money. Try peeling and cutting your own carrot sticks and keeping them in the fridge instead of spending twice as much on baby carrots.
* Make a large batch of bran muffins to store in the freezer. Take a frozen muffin with you when you run errands and in a short while it is defrosted and ready to eat.
* Drink water! Water is super cheap, filling, and most of us don't drink enough. Learn to substitute water for alcohol and soda, neither of which are good for you. Hopefully, you have a cheaper alternative for drinking water besides buying bottled water. At restaurants, order water only.
* Brown bag your lunch. If you are spending money going out to lunch often, you need to start taking your lunch with you. Don't even try to pretend that you can eat healthy on fast food. You'll also save a lot of money on bringing lunch with you every day.