Saturday, January 09, 2010
I have a huge love/hate relationship with the scale - and continually have to overcome that a number is a number. Some days I do this well; others, not so well. In fact, just the other day, after a particularly bad number day, my husband said, why don't you put it away and only take it out once a week! Yikes - no way I said, I cannot do it! :)
I realize now, it took me awhile to make the number go up; it will take time for it to go down. But more importantly I am learning along the way that there are other things to keep my eyes on besides that little tiny box in the bathroom with numbers. Important things like:
1. When your teenage girl says "mom, you are "looking" skinnier -- wow, those were powerful words last night!
2. When the size of jeans I shrunk out of (the right way) about three weeks ago now can be pulled down when they are still buttoned and zipped!
3. When the swimsuit (which has to go on a beach soon) fits better then it did last summer even though I tried on 3 days after Christmas!
4. When the next size jeans are so close I can now zip and button them, but not quite yet comfortably wear them but with continued hard work the reality that I can wear them comfortably is SOOOO close I can visualize it.
A. I am thinking those jeans in #2 will not even stay up when I hit the next size down - and how sweet that will be!
5. When coworkers you have not seen for awhile say "whoa, look at you"
6. Your husband is actively seeking out 5K race opportunities for me -- and believes that I can do it as much as I can!
7. When every day this week the time for each mile jogged is dropping - and the distance is growing when I choose to push it out further. Yipee!
So tomorrow, maybe I'll stay off the scale - but I doubt it!
If you step on the scale today, and it does not quite say what you'd like as fast you'd like, here's wishing for you that you have your own list of things you can use to pick yourself up!
I decided to write a few of those things in my daily journal I use for my quiet time -- so on those days where I sometimes go back and review my quiet time thoughts, they will be there to inspire me to keep going.
Looking forward to the continued journey ...