Saturday, September 05, 2009
1. Husband -- 30 years later, what I still know for sure is that the smartest, luckiest thing I ever did was marrying Mike.
2. Kids -- works in progress (as all we are) but both terrific human beings who make me proud. And of course number one above had quite a bit to do with this item as well!
3. Sister: would never never have survived without her. What an amazing woman, and my admiration for her has only increased as I've watched her dealing with recent serious health problems with grace, dignity, courage.
4. Dog Charlie -- what a sweetie! I've loved all my dogs, heaven will be the place where I'm reunited with every one of them eventually; Fritz, Pepper, Skippy, Kabul, Ambrose, Sabrina and Rufus will also be just inside the Pearly Gates, wagging and smiling! But Charlie is the Platonic Ideal of dogs; loving, companionable, never obsequious, just understanding there is no loss of self in wanting to please others. I have learned a lot from Charlie about how to get along with people! "What would Charlie do?" Greet everyone at the door wagging and with a carefully selected toy!! Wonder what he'll have for me at those Pearly Gates?? (And nope, this isn't irreverent at all).
4. Friends. Understanding, kind, supportive and delivering kicks in the rear end as required!
5. Work colleagues. What a great group of people to share a big chunk of time with every day! And the work itself: keeps the brain ticking over and some days feels like I've been useful to someone . . .
6. Nature: sunshine in its ever-changing manifestations from sunrise to sunset throughout all of the seasons; big skies and distant vistas; birds; flowers; trees; forests; rippling fields of grass; oceans; beaches; tiny northern lakes ringed by white pines; dewy mornings; hoar frost sparkling after sleet storms . . . all of these sights plus the scents of lilac and mown lawn; the sounds of cicadas and howling winds; the textures of bark, fur, powder sand, squishy spring mud. The world is an infinitely beautiful place with the power to sustain and to console us through its sheer loveliness.
7. Food! especially fresh fruits, vegetables -- yup, really really do like these best -- and oatmeal. And dark 85% cocoa chocolate! Which is or should be a food group all its own.
8. Exercise: it makes me feel great right then, and the cumulative effect of exercise keeps me feeling great all day long. Can't buy that feeling, can't achieve it any other way than by sweating it out -- may never want to roll out of bed at 5 a.m. to go to the gym but I'm always glad that I did when it's over and I'm heading for the showers.
9. Anticipation. What's coming next? What am I planning -- what treats are on the horizon to give zest to my days? What great things will happen that I never even dreamed of? Postive anticipation is the reverse of negative worry . . . worry about stuff that may never happen -- and when it doesn't happen I never wish that I'd worried more! So the deliberate cultivation of anticipation helps me manage worry.
10. SparkPeople. This is an amazing site with remarkable resources. Yup, I really really like this virtual community of like minded people!