Over the past two months, I have analyzed myself rather thoroughly. What triggers me to eat or smoke, what makes me happy, what causes me to be depressed. Where does exercise really fit into my life?
I have discovered I tend to eat more when I am stressed or pushed beyond the limit of my patience. Anger is a big trigger with me. Especially when it comes to smoking. The other day I had such an experience. I was upset with a very rude neighbor in my building. Enough so, that I am sure my friend could see the steam rising right our of my ears! When I came up to my apt. and was alone, the first thing I wanted was a smoke.
Since I had "FOOLISHLY' purchase a pack last week, I grab one, lit it and took a drag. However my conscience said,
don't inhale that.
It tastes nasty, you don't like the taste...It messes with your sense of smell, and that smell is not pleasant!
The little guy on my other shoulder
kept saying go ahead one smoke won't hurt! I tried to reason with myself. By then I was up to the third drag. That's it said my little
. I put it out and stuck to a new goal I have.
Since this smoking thing is so difficult, I decided to cut myself a little slack. I will allow myself 3 drags a day....That is ALL! After the first of the month, I by some commit lozenges. Actually I am doing quit well, and I will give myself credit for that. I have no intention of becoming a smoker (who smokes 1 pack to 1 1/2 each week). I am weaning myself, but it is going to take longer than I want.
I found dieting or learning healthy living practices, and quitting smoking at the same time was very, very difficult. I AM NOT GIVING AN INCH WHEN IT COMES TO EXERCISE AND HEALTHY EATING. That is easier to work with, by all means.
I found when I am bored I definitely tend to want to eat, that also applies to smoking. If I keep very busy, I am ok. I don't think of either of my vices. Boredom, also along with many other triggers, tends to bring my depressive moods out.
I am so lucky to have Spark People and Spark Friends. Being on the computer certainly helps keep me away from cigarettes, 95% of the time at least but I will definitely work on the other 5%. Success takes work and patience. I have time for both.