Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Why is it that I always seem to blog about the "negative" things going on in my life? I can't remember the last blog that I didn't come off as a total whiner!? Needless to say, this blog is no different; I feel the need to vent and lucky you--you've decided to read my blog!
This past week has been hectic, with trips to the pediatrician, a family reunion, conflicting schedules and the adoption/death of a puppy. Last Thursday was my 10 yr old daughter's last day of school and I received a call from the nurse; Cheyenne had what appeared to be ringworm and my daughter (the drama queen) was flipping out. After reassuring her everything was okay (she wouldn't perish or be scarred for life), we went to the doctor and she was prescribed two different types of cream (although the area tested negative for ringworm)--major meltdown complete.
Saturday was my husband's family reunion; while there, my hubby decides it would be a good time to visit the local animal shelter. Our daughters have wanted a puppy for quite some time (Cheyenne is THE animal lover), so I agreed and feel head-over-heels in love with a puppy we named Sophie. The shelter administered her shots and sent us home with worm medication (to be given over the next 6 days); our family bonded with her quickly and to our surprise, she was basically potty trained!
All was well until Sunday afternoon when Sophie started acting weird: she refused food/water, had runny stool and seemed lethargic. My parents used to breed dogs (and the shelter was closed), so I called my mother for guidance. She informed me it was normal after shots/worm medication for a puppy to behave this way--the worms were being flushed from her system and to give her a few days (after completing the worm medication, which wasn't until Thursday). I followed her advice (after confirming with the animal shelter's vet) and Sophie stayed pretty much the same until late Saturday evening.
On Saturday, Sophie started having blood in her stool and her feces had a horrific smell; I left a message with the animal shelter and my hubby looked up info concerning the issue online. I never received a return call, but the online research seemed to indicate it wasn't a big deal--blood in her stool was most likely due to her having runny stool/flushing worms from her body. I watched over her throughout the night and she seemed a bit better by morning.
Late Sunday, Sophie started acting weird again and by Monday morning, she had copious amounts of blood in her stool, refused food/water, lethargic and began vomiting. I called the animal shelter and they agreed I should bring her in; hours later, the vet informed me Sophie needed to be euthanized due to parvo. Since then, I've cried buckets of tears and feel like I should have somehow known something was wrong...perhaps if I had taken her in sooner, the vet could have saved her?
My husband and I decided against telling our girls until a later date; we've told them Sophie is still at the vet under observation. I have no idea how to explain to either of them what happened and we can't just get them another dog--parvo remains active in the ground for 9 months/in the home for 6 months. How do I tell a 10 yr old and an almost 3 yr old that their puppy died? I feel extremely guilty and wonder I can help them grieve?!
Upon returning home, Madilyn (my almost 3 yr old daughter) was very clingy and restless after her usual afternoon nap. As she'd been complaining of her teeth hurting the previous week, I assumed that's was the problem (she's at the age to get back molars) and gave her motrin & orajel; this seemed to do the trick for a few hours, but then she became hot to the touch and extremely cranky. Her temperature was 101.0 and the soonest the doctor could see her was this afternoon. In the meantime, I pushed fluids, bathed her several times and continued the motrin--I know puppy parvo can't be contracted by people, but I was worried nonetheless (you never know these days!) and was up most of the night.
With a temperature of 101.8 and a red throat, the doctor ordered a strep test (which was negative) and drew blood to test for an infection/virus--the virus won. Her pediatrician informed me viral infections have been going around and to continue with the motrin/bath/and lots of TLC treatment for about a week. I was beyond relieved, but Madilyn looks horrible (she's currently sleeping) and I feel hopeless...aren't mommies and doctors supposed to make it all better? I know there are days when I wish my girls would quiet down, but I can't wait to hear her chasing her sister again!
Cheyenne is in bible school this week and thank goodness my sister-in-law is taking her back and forth (her live-in nephew is also attending)! Josh (my hubby, the cop) has been working crazy hours and just informed me he won't be able to watch the girls during my mammogram appointment on Thursday! My mother-in-law has come to the rescue, but she's a germ-phobe (aren't most teachers? LOL) and I pray she doesn't become sick--she teaches summer school 3 times a week.
I have mixed emotions when it comes to my mammogram on Thursday...I've never had one before and I pray the lump in my breast is benign. Either way, the doctor has said it'll be removed, but a tumor is much easier to deal with than cancer! Please keep me in your prayers and I hope to have the results soon--I hope it doesn't take forever for this medical concern to be solved!!!
Enough babbling for now...I need to check on the girls and get dinner on the table. I'm sure this blog rambles quite a bit, but please forgive me...it's called lack of sleep! Best wishes to all and I'll be to blog again with an update: )