150,000-199,999 SparkPoints 190,535

My mom had surgery today

Thursday, June 04, 2009

It took me a long time to fall asleep last night. Since I was planning on picking up my bone scan report while at the hospital for my mom's surgery today, I was feeling a little anxious over what it might say, as I always am when I have those done. So, it was a little hard to get up and get moving today.

I got up too late for much of a breakfast, so I just had a banana. After getting dressed, I went out and uncovered my plants; we had some frost last night, but all the plants and flowers were ok. It's only supposed to get down to 40 tonight, so I am thankful I don't have to bother with that tonight. Around 11am, I made myself a sandwich for an early lunch, since I didn't know when I'd have a chance to sit down for a real meal.

My mom and dad picked up at 11:30am on the way to the hospital. We got there just before noon. They had my mom change into a gown, and while she was doing that, I went down to the medical records office to get a copy of my bone scan report.

I couldn't understand a lot of it, with it being written in "medical jargon"; even looking up some of the terms on Google after I got home tonight didn't help much. It doesn't look like there are any changes in my left hip, where most of the bone mets are, and where my pain is now, so it does not appear that it's the cancer causing the pain. It looks like I have a new spot on my spine, and a few new spots on one rib, but I am not feeling pain in those areas, and since they sound like small spots, I am not alarmed about that. I am not going to worry about it for now, I don't see my oncologist until June 30th, and if there is something there that needs attention before then, I know they will call me to come in earlier. But I didn't want my mom to worry about it today, and since she didn't ask, I didn't say anything or show her the report.

By the time I got back to my mom's room, she was just coming out of the bathroom with her gown on; I couldn't help but giggle; she's only 5'3", and the gown was huge! It went all the way down to the floor. It kind of reminded me of one of those "snuggy blankets" they sell on tv. (The room was so cold, hospital gowns made out of snuggy blankets wouldn't be a bad idea, lol).

My mom went into surgery a little after 2pm, pretty much right on schedule. My dad and I went to the cafeteria, but they had finished serving lunch at 1:30pm, and they wouldn't be serving meals again til 5pm. My dad got something out of the vending machine, and I ate the little single serving bag of a Smart Food snack I brought; can't remember the exact name of it now, but it was popcorn with a cranberry flavor, very good!

Anyway, the surgery took about an hour, just like the surgeon said, and he came out and told us that it went well, and that she was doing well, and she'd be in recovery for an hour before going to her room. I was getting a headache from not eating enough by then, so I went downstairs to where they had more vending machines to see what I could find. I found one of those machines that had sandwiches and salads and stuff like that in it, and decided on a little plate of cheese, grapes, and crackers. I got one for my dad too. I think the protein from the cheese was just what I needed to keep me going til I could get home to eat. I had my water with me too.

We went back to my mom's room after she came out of recovery, it was around 4pm by then. She was very tired, but otherwise felt fine. Not really feeling any pain then, but that is because she was still very numb, and that numbness will probably last into tomorrow. We left the hospital a little after 5pm. They dropped me off at my house before going home themselves. She will need to go to the surgeon's office Monday and have her stitches looked at.

I am sore from doing too much sitting, but not hurting as bad as I thought I would be. I took a pain pill after I got home, and I'll probably go to bed early tonight. I was so tired when I got home. After "googling" some of the information on my bone scan, I got into pjs and had my leftover salad from yesterday for dinner. Didn't get all my fruit and vegetable servings in today that I should have, but I'll get back on track with that tomorrow. I did my stretching exercises before dinner, instead of doing them at bedtime. I was afraid if I waited, I'd be too tired and not want to do them, and I do not want to get into the habit of skipping them.
Share This Post With Others
Member Comments About This Blog Post
    I'm glad to hear that things went well for your mom. You are right, I wouldn't worry about anything until your MD calls you. Hope that your mom recovers quickly and smoothly!
    3207 days ago
    Glad to hear that things went smoothly with your mom's surgery. Hope she makes a speedy recovery. Good job on your food choices today. Hospitals are not the best place to get healthy meals. Kind of ironic, huh?
    3208 days ago
    Being in a hospital all day takes a lot out of you. I hope you and your Mom sleep well tonight. A good night's sleep always makes thinks easier. Sending healing hugs your way. Pat
    3208 days ago
    Glad things went well with your mom's surgery. Hospital cafeterias need to be 24 hours, IMO! :)
    3208 days ago
    I'm glad your mom is doing well after her surgery, and I hope there's nothing to worry about on your scans.
    3208 days ago
    Mom2acat it sounds like a very busy day for you. You sound like you have everything under control as far as your health is concerned. It sounds like your mom went home so the Dr. wasn't too concerned about it. Just a busy day for all of you. Maybe its a good thing you skipped the cafeteria line because you would have been tempted to eat more. Those sciatic nerves are really painful and pain pills usually don't work on them. I'm not sure about the spots but I'm sure if the Dr. saw them and was worried he would have told you.
    3208 days ago
  • Add Your Comment to the Blog Post

    Log in to post a comment

    Disclaimer: Weight loss results will vary from person to person. No individual result should be seen as a typical result of following the SparkPeople program.