I've never considered myself an athlete...until today, the day I get sidelined with an injury due to my vigorous fitness routine. Eesh!
So my profoundly flat feet must not like the jumping and bouncing of my beloved Turbo Jam and that sucks....because now I've strained a ligament in my left foot and am now forced to wear a sexy boot. Soooo sexy.
In disbelief, I asked my podiatrist over and over and over again, "So you're saying I can't workout? Not even low impact? Not even walking?"
Sadly, he said no -- but recommended I swim or do the stationary bike. The problem with that is that I don't belong to a gym (nor do I even WANT to), so access to a pool and a bike will be tricky.
Luckily, my apartment complex is completing construction of a brand new gym only yards from my apartment which should be done soon (thank goodness!) And I live about a mile from a local recreation center which I can use for dirt cheap.
*sigh* I guess this attractive gray boot and only 2-3 weeks of little to no exercise is better than the MRI and/or possible surgery I may need if I ignore doctor's orders.
So, the only thing that makes me feel better is that I have a plan of action:
1. Lower calorie intake and be diligent about clean eating. I've heard you can still lose weight, even with no exercise, by eating clean and closely monitoring calories
2. Continue strength training, minus the cardio beforehand. I can do upper and lower body weights just fine without straining my foot, I'm sure!
3. Do my prescribed foot and ankle stretches, and the ice treatments as well.
4. Keep a positive outlook and find ways to be active even without exercise
5. Sign up at my local rec for a membership and begin doing bike and swimming. Who knows...I may even drop a few pounds with this change to my routine!
Appreciating my blessings still,