"Good" food is expensive. Chicken, fish, berries, avocados, nuts, fresh produce, fresh fruit.... I used to NOT spend the money on those things, with the mindset that I "couldn't" spend that kind of money on stuff that would disappear down my throat. But NOW after a year of shutting up about it and JUST DOING IT...I realize several things.
1. My budget hasn't even noticed the extra 'expense' of quality food to put inside my body. Because I'm treating myself to these beautiful, natural, God-made, colorful foods, I am more appreciative of it, I eat less, and I do not "blow" other money on Taco Bell, Wendy's and Burger King drive thrus. I'm worth so much more than that.
2. Even if I had to cut out something else in order to "afford" an extra $40/week on fresh produce/fish at the grocery store, it would be so worth it. So many people comment on my skin now...how it "glows" and it so "clear". What do you use? they ask. I use any old moisturizer from Avon...but the key is the fresh fruit and veges, and especially my avocados, which I love. I eat 1/2 avocado just about every day and that = clear, creamy skin :)
3. I would have argued these points last year BEFORE I TRIED IT. Now I KNOW. Now I won't ever go back to putting any crap in my grocery cart! If you told me over a year ago that I wouldn't be relying heavily on LeanCuisine and Weight Watchers for lunches...I'd have said well, what do you expect me to eat? Fast food? Nope...now I take a little time planning meals and lovingly making them for a very special person....me! Whole wheat pasta w/ veges, lots of salads, homemade sushi...just to name a few. Yummy.
4. I treat myself better every minute of every day BECAUSE of how much thought, money, time I put into my "machine" (my body). If you buy an expensive car...you wanna take care of it, right? I am so much nicer, calmer, happier, quick to laugh, than I was a year ago. Who knew?
5. For way too long I was overweight, unhappy, depressed...but too unmotivated to do anyting about it. Because yes, it is work. BUT, it is the work of your LIFE. And now that I've jumped right in....I love swimming!
6. I think I learned that I could either stay pitiful, or get powerful. But not both. Now, I am powerful. What about you? You have to either put up, or shut up.