Tuesday, January 06, 2009
It's time to review how I did last year and to look ahead to what I may accomplish this coming year.
- I did not reach my goal of slimming down to 175 pounds, but I did drop over 25 pounds (over 10% of my weight!) to get below 195. Not too shabby.
- I dropped from the "Obese" category for my height to well below the top threshold of the "Overweight" category.
- My eating habits are MUCH healthier, now including frequent, daily doses of fruits, vegetables, grains, and lower fat content.
- My eating discipline has MUCH improved and I now routinely pass up the chocolatey, gooey desserts and can avoid overeating with pizza and pasta (my weaknesses).
- I've developed strategies that help me to easily avoid overeating at lunch and dinner. I now eat a light mid-morning snack (usually a breakfast bar) and also a light mid-afternoon snack (usually fruit) that cuts my hunger for the heavier, lunch and dinners.
- When I go to restaurants, I now package half the meal before eating or I split the meal with my wife. Overeating at restaurants was a real problem area for me.
- OK, since 2008 was a pretty good success story for me and since I now have the tools and discipline to help me reach my goals, I'm setting a stretch goal for weight loss. I feel that I can comfortably reach last year's target of 175 pounds, so I'm going it one better and dropping the goal to 170, which would put me into the "Healthy" category for my height.
- I recently joined a gym, but have not yet been disciplined about going there on a regular schedule. I'm setting a moderate goal of getting there at least 3 days a week, which is doable.
- I can't actually commit to changing my family's health habits, but I do commit to taking actions every month to SHOW them the details of what I do with SparkPeople and to register one or two family members and start tracking items for them.
- I commit to getting my bicycle in shape for the Spring, to get back on my rollerblades when nice weather returns, and to swing a golf club every week.