Friday, August 29, 2008
I sat down and planned dinners, snacks, and baked goods for the next two weeks or so. (I'm SURE we'll grill out over the Labor Day weekend, too.)
These are kid-friendly, including pastas, breads, ranch dips, and such things. We tent to be very light on the meat, and I offer several veggies/fruit to fill our plates. For me, I'll have very small portions of the pastas & breads, serve both brown and white rice (and eat the brown), skip the dips and cheese, and eat all of the fruit & veggie options rather than only, say, the carrots! The baked goods are things the boys want to learn to make and want to eat. They will be half white wheat flour (whole wheat flour that bakes up lighter than the standard), and my portions will be small.
On hand for snacks etc:
- Plums, peaches, apples
- Blueberries, maybe blackberries
- Tomatoes, bell peppers
- Carrots, celery, cabbage, lettuces, green onions
- Dried apricots, prunes
- Raw almonds, raw pecans, roasted peanuts, peanut butter
- Hard-boiled eggs
and of course some breads.
- Burritos. Homemade Mexican rice, refried beans, black beans, diced tomato or homemade salsa, and cheddar in flour tortillas. Served with a salad, and tomato wedges and carrots with ranch dip.
- Enchiladas. Our rice and bean fillings (above), rolled up in enchilada-sauced-corn tortillas, topped with a bit of cheese and more enchilada sauce, and baked. Will make these with leftover burrito fillings, and freeze. Served with a salad, and tomato wedges and carrots with ranch dip.
- Shrimp tacos. Cooking Light Aug. 08. With fruit.
- Big salad. Romaine lettuce, shrimp, tomatoes, shredded carrot, bell pepper strips, and dressings of choice; hearty bread.
- Spicy shrimp pasta. Broccoli, basil, crushed red pepper; replace oil-packed sun-dried tomato with lots of bell pepper strips, and generally triple the veggies. Better Homes and Gardens Sept. 08.
- Spaghetti and meatballs. With a big salad and Italian green beans.
- Meatball mini subs. With veggies with ranch dip: carrots, celery, bell pepper, tomato wedges.
- German apple pancake. With sausages. Cooking Light Aug. 08.
- Steamed rice, shredded tuna (canned), green beans, and (cooked) carrot coins.
Side dishes/lunches for me:
- Italian green beans and a few red potatoes. Cooked, then tossed with olive oil, seasoned bread crumbs, freshly grated Parmesan, sea salt, and pepper. Serve warm, cool, or room temp.
- My blackeyed pea salad. Diced bell pepper and onion, balsamic vinaigrette.
- Southwest Confetti Salad. Diced veggies, fresh corn, brown rice, black beans. Cooking Light July 08.
- White bean and tomato salad. Everyday Food Sept. 08.
- Avocado, tomato, and cucumber salsa. Cooking Light Aug. 08.
Breakfasts/lunches to make with the boys:
- My "Busy Mom's Coffeecake", preferably with yogurt or sausages, and fruit.
- Yogurt parfaits. Vanilla yogurt, mixed berries or other fruit, granola.
- Homemade cinnamon rolls/buns. Baker's Catalogue/King Arthur Flour recipe. Preferably with cream cheese or sausages or bacon, and fruit.
- Quick breads. Banana, zucchini, pumpkin? Delicious toasted and topped with a bit of peanut butter, or cranberry preserves (pumpkin). Or with a smear of cream cheese (not for me though).
The baking waits for the elusive nice cool night/early morning... and for my oven to be fixed, which should be this afternoon, if all goes well. Tonight we're having burritos; I'll make the leftovers up into enchiladas for the freezer tomorrow morning.