Wow, I haven't done a five-year plan since high school :) This is a good exercise to do every now and then, for many reasons. I distinctly remember when I first started practicing law, I ignored almost everything except for work. One day I looked in the mirror and realized 5 years had gone by. I had gained more than 50 pounds and hated my job. I felt like a bunch of time had been wasted. NEVER AGAIN!!
In the next five years, I will turn 40. Seems hard to believe, but it is true. I always thought that I might go back to school at some point, because I really do enjoy it. It is not about getting another degree; I certainly don't need that piece of paper. But I do enjoy the discourse and exercising my brain. I'm not sure that school is really in my five-year plan, but I do want to remember that it is out there on the horizon.
With that out there, my goal over the next five years is to find a job that is both intellectually satisfying, but also not all-consuming. As I have been doing for the last three years, I am struggling to find the balance between being a wife, a mother, and a professional. As part of this plan, I want to put as much money as reasonably possible towards retirement, so that I can comfortably go back to school when the time is right.
Steps to take for this plan:
1. By the end of 2008, read "Things you can do with a Law Degree" and take a few self-assessment tests. I have been saying I was going to this for years, and now I just need to do it!
2. Start putting at least $500 a month away for retirement NOW.
3. Send out resumes.
4. Go to bar association lunches. Go to my first one by October 1, 2008.
One more thing in my five-year plan -- another baby. I'm not 100% sure that we want another one, but this must be decided within the next five years (We're not getting any younger!)
The steps for this plan are pretty simple:
1. Decide if we want another baby (duh). Have this discussion with dh by January of 2009.
2. GET TO GOAL WEIGHT -- by February 2009.
3. Set out a plan for the best time to get pregnant is within the next five years.
4. Get pregnant