Renovated General Tsao's Chicken
SUBMITTED BY: VBMOM2010 (sparkrecipes)
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
4 tsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 medium scallions, chopped
4 Tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
3 Tbsp splenda (or sugar)
3 Tbsp corn starch
1 lbs boneless skinless chicken, cut ino bite size cubes
1.5 C chicken broth, low sodium
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 C rice (kept hot) - rice not included in calorie counts
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, cornstarch, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger; set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallions, garlic and pepper and cook 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
3. Add reserved sauce and simmer until sauce thickens and chicken is cooked through, about 3 minutes.
4. Serve chicken and sauce over rice. Yields about 1 cup of chicken and sauce and 1/2 cup of rice per serving --- RICE NOT INCLUDED IN CALORIE COUNTS!
Number of Servings: 4
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 55.0 mg
Sodium: 858.5 mg
Total Carbs: 9.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 25.0 g
* I made this dish on Saturday night and I LOVED it! It made me feel like I was eating chinese food without all the extra fat. It also kept me full for a very long time!! Give this one a try for sure!