Saturday, May 21, 2011
I am so sad to learn that WillowWinds has passed away. She was an inspiration to many, a woman of compassion and faith. God hold her family close to His heart and comfort them in all the ways they need. This is a great loss to SparkPeople but a great gain for heaven, where I know she is whole, healthy, rejoicing to be in the presence of our Lord, her Beloved.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
I know that Jessie is with our Savior, forever to remain with Him, in perfect health, where there are no tears, having heard the words we all long to hear: Well done, my good and faithful servant. I am so very honored to have known this remarkable young lady and I look toward the day when we will spend eternity together with our God.
Jessica Denise Meriwether
October 17, 1991 1:42 am
May 11, 2011 10:30 am
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
I will still stand in faith, believing for the miracles Jessie needs. Please remember her and her family in your prayers. This is today's update from her dad. Remember to thank God for the health of your children.
I tried to post earlier, but my phone would not cooperate, so I had to come home and use the computer.
We have discussed all available options with the Dr.s and basically there are none. In order to treat Jessie's disease, we would have to wait and hope her body recovers enough to even begin treatment. Treatment would consist of chemotherapy and full body radiation to destroy the bone marrow, and have a complete bone marrow transplant again. Then we would have to hope and pray the new bone marrow would graft its way through the scar tissue or fibrosis. She would constantly need red blood cells, and platelets. She would also be in constant pain thru out the entire process. The oncologist said this disease is extremely painful, and out of the individuals who have ever elected to receive treatment, less than 20% live longer than five years.
Jessie let us know, unconditionally, she was NOT going to do another transplant long before this ever started. We as her parents would never put our baby through such pain and suffering. You who have watched Jessie over the last few months know how much pain the necrosis has caused, and now to put the fibrosis pain on top of that, well I can't imagine what that would be like.
Jessie's body is all ready beginning to fail. Yesterday her ventilator was set at 40% oxygen, today its at 60% because her marrow is not producing enough platelets, and she is bleeding into her lungs.
After talking with all the Dr.s, we have decided to let Jessie go; she will remain sedated, and free from pain. Which is what she asked for months ago. To be free from pain. We don't want her suffering any longer.
Tomorrow morning, Jessie will begin to be weaned off the oxygen and ventilator. Dr. Grier has sworn to do all she can medically do to make sure Jessie is comfortable, and does not suffer. She will no longer be receiving platelets nor red blood cells.
Jessie has touched countless lives, never in these two years has she ever asked God why her.... She constantly gave Him the Glory and Praise due His wonderful name. Constantly I would hear her praying to God to heal her, and release her from the pain, (who wouldn't) but she would just as quickly pray, "But, if I need to walk through this to be used by You to touch someone else's life, I WILL."
We want to thank all our family and many, many friends for walking with us through this. We will need you more than ever, to pray for us that will remain in this world, as we deal with the loss of such a wonderful young lady.
Daddy will all ways love his punkin...
Sunday, May 08, 2011
I am again asking you to join me in prayer for the miracles Jessie needs. This is the most recent update from her dad. Please, pray for her entire family and her doctors.
At a loss for words at the moment. Talked to the Dr.s and they are coming to the conclusion that Jessie has Myelofibrosis. Myelofibrosis is a disorder of the bone marrow, in which the marrow is replaced by scar ( fibrous ) tissue. The cause is unknown. There is no treatment for this. In young people, bone marrow transplant appears to improve the outlook, and possibly cure the disease. Only problem is, Jessie would never survive another transplant. She would need to under go chemo and radiation again. Her body just wouldn't make it.
Very frustrating visit tonight. Jessie was awake enough that she was trying to tell us something. I would move heaven and earth to know what it was. She looked straight into my eyes, I know she wants to say something and can't. She is still intubated, and since she has been bedridden for over a month now, she can only move her left arm, and that's barely. Her right arm is useless. She wants us to understand something about her right leg, I think..... we just can't tell. She looks at you with pleading eyes, and her face gets so flushed, her eyebrows furrow with frustration.... I can't describe how helpless we as parents feel.
Monday will be a big day for us, LSU oncologists and Dr. Berryman will be putting their heads together to see if something may have been overlooked, but its doubtful. There is some hope that it still maybe a fungal infection, and the test results we get back monday will clarify that or not.
I wish I had better news, but I don't.
Dr Grier called us tonight and gave us the news I just shared with you, she was on the verge of tears as she relayed the information to us. She told Angela it was not fair to have worked so hard to fix her, to now not be able to fix her. There needs to be more Dr.s in the world like her and others who take such a personal investment in their patients.
Continue to be in prayer, because unless Jessie recieves a miracle from God.....
Thursday, May 05, 2011
This poor kid takes one step forward and gets knocked down three. First of all, a HUGE thank you for those of you who are standing in faith with us, believing for Jessie's miracles. I will NOT back down from the absolute knowledge that God is doing something mighty for, in, and through this remarkable young lady. Lest I fail to report all that is happening today, I will paste to you what her dad wrote on their Caring Bridge post for today. We visited with her grandfather today (her grandmother, our good friend, is up in Shreveport with her) and the entire family is concerned, if not alarmed by this new turn of events. I will NOT worry. I will NOT fret. I will run to my refuge, my fortress, my God in whom I trust and see His glory unfold. Please continue to pray for our young and beautiful friend, Jessie, and her family and doctors.
Well we've hit a snag in jessie's treatment. Some other things are going on that they can't figure out. Jessie has been receiving alot of blood products, red blood every three days or so, and platelets about every other day. Her body is producing plenty of white blood cells, but for some reason is not making the other components, or are not making them fast enough to keep up with the demands of the body. So something is going on with her bone marrow. The hematology Dr, talked to us about the results from their biopsy they did. As usual for jessie, nothing is conclusive. He sees cells that could possibly be leukemia, as in they have the apperance of, but they can't get confirmation from anywhere else in her body. If it was leukemia, there would be signs of it in her blood. There is none. They tried unsuccesfully to pull some liguid from her bones at the bone marrow biopsy they did, if they could have gotten any it could or would have been used to confirm either the existence of leukemia or not. Hematoc Dr says she has a very fiberous bone marrow. He thinks she possibly has a fungas or a virus causing this, which would also affect the componets of the blood. We are awaiting results to confirm that, meantime he is going to start to treat Jessie as if she does have fungal or viral to get a jump on it. If tests come back negative, we just back off treatment.
So, there is a possibility she either has fungal or viral infection causing fibrosis in her marrow, or some form of leukemia is there or both. Just to let you know, if it is leukemia she is not medically able to survive treatment. They odds of survival are very minute.
Treatment of bringing her off the ventilator has sorta stalled. She was progressing very well till today. She became very agitated to the point that they had to go back up on the sedation. She has blood in her lungs because her plattlets are low. She was receiving a blood transfusion when we visited this morning, she is scheduled to get another plus platelets. Once the platelet count goes up the bleeding should stop. Since she has blood in her lungs, her breathing is more labored than it has been in a while. That's also why they went back up on sedation and ventilation.
We should be getting results back in a couple days. The results will only be about the fungal or viral infection, but not about leukemia. They see cells that could be leukemia but can't confirm it. They want to do a pet scan to look at her bones, but she is not stable enough to leave I.c.u to get one done so alot of this is guess work. Pray for all of us...
Get An Email Alert Each Time YATMAMA Posts