WOMYN42   16,226
15,000-19,999 SparkPoints
WOMYN42's Recent Blog Entries

Getting Back to the Gym

Thursday, September 08, 2011

Well, after more than a year away, I'm ready to get down to business and get back to the gym for some toning, firming, and weight loss activity. After back surgery, a broken knee and wrist that kept me in a wheelchair for a while, and then rotator cuff and biceps tendon repair, it was pretty hard to exercise much at all. Now, though, I have no excuse, and in fact, I'm anxious to get back into the swing of things as I'm seeing some definite "flab" re-appearing, and I get fatigued a lot easier than I used to. I'm thinking that more activity will help BOTH of those issues! When I stopped going to the gym prior to my surgeries, I was working out for about 3 hours at a time - half an hour on the treadmill doing the "weight loss" program, half an hour on the stationary bike doing the "random hills" program, 15 minutes worth of crunches, 15 minutes on the rowing machine, 30 minutes of physical therapy exercises, 30 minutes of strength training, and 30 minutes of swimming. I seriously doubt I can jump back in at the same level.... but I will definitely be giving it my best as I work back up to a point where I'm feeling good about myself again! Wish me luck!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

RAVENNARUE 9/9/2011 4:31PM

    I'm going to go get my first gym membership this weekend, so I'm there with ya!

I'm not overly thrilled with weight training, but I recognize how important it is. :)

I hope your return to the gym goes smoothly!


Report Inappropriate Comment

It's good to be alive - REALLY!!

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Well, today I count myself lucky to be among the living. I'm basically healthy, mostly full of energy, have dealt with all the "repair" things that need to be done to my body except for the knee replacements that I know are looming..... and have even begun taking care of things that are more "cosmetic" in nature, like dental work. I have a gold crown on my right rear molar, that I got at age 15. That's 43 years ago. They told me it would only last 15 to 20 years. Well, today, it finally fell off. It was there at 10:30 this morning, I know, because my tongue is drawn to it because there is a big "hole" in it, and my dentist has been urging me to get it replaced. Anyways, I've been avoiding chewing on that side for a while because food gets caught in the hole, and there are some jagged edges at the top of the crown that have either broken off or something.... well, I was standing in the lunch room while my soft (scrambled eggs) lunch was heating up, and talking to a co-worker, doing nothing special or unusual..... and when I got back to my desk with my lunch, my tongue went automatically to the crown "just to check it out".... and OMG!!! It was gone!! In its place was a very sharp and jagged crater that immediately cut my tongue. Ahhhh - where did it go???? I certainly didn't feel it in anything I was chewing up, I didn't feel a lump go down my throat, I hadn't had a coughing or sneezing fit that might have blown it out of my mouth.... the only logical assumption is that I swallowed it!

Well, I made an emergency appointment with my dentist to get a temporary crown put back on so that my tongue and cheek wouldn't be turned into "hamburger".... and while they were fitting me with an aluminum replacement, they got too close to the back of my throat, and my hyperactive gag reflex kicked in, and I gagged, and my throat opened wide, and this huge aluminum crown fell off the back of my tooth and right down my windpipe. Oh man.... Panic time! I began to cough and gag and spit and cough some more, but it just kept working its way down my throat until it felt like it was about halfway to my stomach. Although I was coughing violently, it didn't feel like it was going to come back up, so I began swallowing, trying to get it to go down. Wasn't working. FINALLY after about two minutes of vigorous coughing, someone whacked me on the back hard, and a final violent cough sent it flying out of my throat and onto the floor! Man, that thing was about the size of a dice cut in half!!

I felt sorry for the poor dental assistant, she was scared out of her wits, and wanted to call 911. I didn't THINK I was in danger of dying, as I was able to cough and get SOME words out.... but that thing with its sharp edges really cut a trail down my esophagus, and I'm still coughing from the irritation nearly 10 hours later.

They finally got a temporary replacement crown on that back tooth, and the doc made sure he glued it in really SECURELY.... so, all's well that ends well.

But, I have found a real and unusual reason to be glad I'm alive today. I hope none of you ever have to go through that kind of panic! I hope I never have to experience it again!!

Thank you, blessed Mother!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

DEBIGENE 8/23/2011 7:22PM

    OH MY how frightening !!! It is good to hear though that someone had the sense to wrap you on the back to cough it out !!! As KOFFEENUT said be gentle with your throat for a while.

Report Inappropriate Comment
2BMYOWN 8/21/2011 10:06AM

    Wow......that'll sure be playing on your mind next trip to the dentist, won't it??? I am so glad you're safe and weren't harmed, tho, OMG, that would just be scary as hell!! Sounds like you have quite a bit to be thankful for, to me! I had all of my bottom molars yanked some years back and chose to go with a partial. Have actually been considering having the rest of them jerked and just going with dentures but haven't totally made up my mind yet. May just do that on the bottom for now and just have veneers on the top, since I've never had a problem with the top teeth, I dunno. Would be nice to have a bright white smile! LOL My teeth have been dingy all my life,thanx to the antibiotics they gave me as a child when I had pneumonia, I have a set of snap ons that I use for pictures because of my self-consciousness about them. Hope you don't have any more scary episodes like that, that would almost turn you off of going to the dentist entirely!

Report Inappropriate Comment
RUBYCLAIRE 8/20/2011 6:56PM

That MUST have been horrible. I had crowns, too at different times, but NEVER had one fall down my throat. Now I have an upper plate & no real molars.
Thank the gods you are okay now.

Report Inappropriate Comment
KOFFEENUT 8/20/2011 6:33PM

    You were so fortunate to be able to cough the darn thing up - although the ragged edges likely weren't good for your esophagus, they wouldn't have done any favors to the rest of your digestive system, either! Be gentle with your throat for a couple of days!!!

Report Inappropriate Comment

After 39 years .....

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I am preparing to take my oldest daughter to meet her biological father for the first time in her life. They have never set eyes on each other. I was barely 19 when I got pregnant, and he was well into his 30s. Of course, he denied it was HIS baby....but that was understandable, seeing as how he was a deadbeat dad to four other children, too. That was okay, we didn't need him in our lives.... and with his issues, not only did we not NEED him, I didn't WANT him in our lives. After my daughter was born, I tracked him down in Salt Lake City and called him once again (just out of fairness) to let him know that he had a 6 month old daughter who looked just like him, and the first word out of his mouth was an expletive. That was all I needed to know. I hung up the phone, and never talked to him again. We got along fine without him. I eventually married, and my husband raised her as his child. We never lied to her though, and she was always aware that there was a "sperm donor" out there somewhere who had a part in her creation.... but she never even asked any questions until she was 23 years old. Then, because there were some health issues, I gathered a sampling of pictures of her from birth through the years to the current time, and made color copies, and wrote a letter to him. I began it by saying that in 23 years, I'd never asked for money, never called or tried to contact him, never took legal action to try and make him pay child support, and as a matter of fact would not be contacting him now if his daughter didn't need to know some things that were health-related. Being an alcoholic, after he got my letter, he drank himself some liquid courage and then telephoned me. He kept me on the phone for nearly an hour, constantly asking if I was sure she was his kid, and how did I know, and how could he be sure I wasn't lying to him? Finally I told him that if I was going to lie to my daughter about who her father was.... I'd sure as HECK make up someone better than HIM!!! That shut him up pretty fast. Eventually, he called her.... and they chatted for quite a while, with him drunkenly repeating himself and making excuses over and over again, until she was able to politely disengage. That was when she was 23 years old. They have kept in touch sporadically - he sends her Christmas cards and advertising calendars from his business.... and once, he even sent her $50. That was a shocker! She's now 38, and FINALLY has decided that if she ever wants to meet him, she'd better do it quickly, because he's got to be in his 70s, and being an alcoholic, who knows how much longer he will live? I phoned him a couple of weeks ago, and asked if he would be willing to meet with us, and he said "yes" - that he'd like that. And he even said that he would make an effort to see if some of his other grown children would care to meet her. Apparently they all know about her, but they don't much care for him.... so he's not sure if they'll be willing to meet her, especially if HE is in the picture. That's sad.... but - if they know about her, then she can feel comfortable contacting them through FaceBook (she's already looked them up and found out what they look like, who they're married to, and other things about them - but hasn't wanted to intrude in their lives unexpectedly). So, this weekend will be an adventure - I hope it goes well, and that she gets what she needs from it. I'm there for her, and always will be.


  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

SLIMLILA 8/20/2011 2:15AM

    Wow! What a story.... and it has many similaries to mine, one difference \i married the guy, and it took over 5 years to divorce him finally. But when my daughter was 27 she contacted him, spoke by phone only a couple times, met one half-brother, and he sent her a pic of himself, which she gave to me, she didn't want it and now she too, at 38, doesn;t have anything to do with him. As a matter of fact, she too asked if she had any siblings when she contacted him, and he wouldn't even tell her...Some real deadbeats out there...Hope the weekend goes well for you all.

Report Inappropriate Comment
2BMYOWN 8/18/2011 8:33AM

    I hope it goes well, if nothing else, to give your daughter a sense of maybe 'closure' about things....and I don't even know if that is the proper word to really use. But I can relate to this in a big way, since I was adopted as a child and never knew my bio parents. Health history is very important.....I tried repeatedly to obtain medical insurance for myself thru the years, because I was self-employed. The sole reason I was denied time and time again was due to the fact that I was adopted and had no medical history for myself. Not knowing what is in your genes can impact your healthcare to a large extent. I am sorry that her father was a deadbeat dad, and had no interaction with her thru the years, but possibly this will be good for them both to meet now. I am sure, given his age, that he has had many years to think about all of the mistakes he may have made along the way, and whether or not he ever verbalizes it, even to himself, I am sure he has many regrets, as do we all. We are all victims of one thing or another during the course of this lifetime that we are given, and it's not possible to make it thru without making mistakes. May God bless all of you and hopefully bring something good from a situation that seems predominantly bad for all of you.

Report Inappropriate Comment
CSDAYS 8/18/2011 1:13AM

    Blessings to you and thank you for sharing.

emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon emoticon

Report Inappropriate Comment
SALEX52 8/18/2011 1:01AM

    This will be an interesting weekend for you and your daughter. I hope it goes well, especially for your daughter.

Report Inappropriate Comment

End up in the Hospital - one way to stay on track!

Friday, August 20, 2010

emoticon My beautiful, 18 year-old cat bit the heck out of me Monday morning. I don't blame her....she is old, autistic, and arthritic....and the two younger cats were harrassing her, so she was hiding on my bed, and it was time to leave for work, so in trying to shoo her off so I could close my bedroom door, she showed her angst by letting me have it - HARD - on the left forearm. I washed it out as well as I could, but within two or three hours, it was clear that hadn't been good enough. A trip to Urgent Care after work had them putting me on heavy-duty oral antibiotics, but after a dose that night and another Tuesday morning, the redness and swelling was definitely increasing. So, after my PT for my back, I headed to the Urgent Care again, where they started an IV and gave me a heavier-duty dose of antibiotics, and told me to come back if it got worse in the next 6 hours. Well....it did. I went back Tuesday evening at about 5:00, and they promptly sent me to the emergency room, where I got still another round of IV antibiotics, and was admitted to the hospital. Couldn't believe it, they kept me from Tuesday night to Thursday afternoon. Was so frustrated, because I basically missed dinner Tuesday night (good thing I had my lunch box with me and had a big container of plain, fat-free Greek Yogurt mixed with some vanilla, a couple packets of Splenda, and two tablespoons of sugar-free strawberry preserves. That, a piece of Weight Watchers string cheese and a protein bar served as dinner. Then, come the next morning, I find out they've got me on a Bariatric Clear Liquid diet (because I told them I am a bariatric patient - but I'm waaaay past clear liquids....I'm 18 months out!). So, they changed it to a cardiac diet, which gave me carbs I couldn't have, and would NOT let me order the high protein meats and cheeses I needed!!! Grrrrr. Finally, I got them to change me to a Regular diet, and I just picked the foods that I know I can eat....tilapia, salmon, turkey, fresh fruit, EggBeaters, Low Fat Cottage cheese. Think I lost 2 pounds while I was in there. Boy, it's good to be home!

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

ANDREA409 7/29/2011 5:05PM

    Oh, man, what an experience! Glad you got through it and can now eat your normal food again.

Aw, hope your kitty is feeling better. I had a friend who worked with autistic cats at an animal shelter. Love, love, love cats.

Report Inappropriate Comment
JEWITCH 8/21/2010 8:21PM

    Wow what an ordeal over a cat bite. What a way to loss a couple of pounds. I hope you are doing well and your kitty is okay too. Have a nice weekend. Brightest blessings and warm hugs.

Report Inappropriate Comment
RHIDENISSEN 8/21/2010 1:03AM

    Cat bites are just the worst! I have one diabetic kitty that needs insulin shots every four hours, and another kitty with a skin condition that requires that he be shaved down regularly. I'm INTIMATELY familiar with unhappy cats. Fortunately, I've never been bitten.

This just makes me twice as glad I haven't! Good thing you were on top of it, and that you had emergency food supplies in your bag. I've devolved to telling hospital food service that I'm a Kosher Vegetarian and letting them figure that out.

Report Inappropriate Comment
ROSES4UN4ME 8/20/2010 5:00PM

    WOW WHAT AN ORDEAL did they say what was wrong was the car rabic ??? hope you all r ok.....
but the good thing was u lost weight emoticon emoticon


Report Inappropriate Comment
MPONTERIO 8/20/2010 4:59PM

    What a terrible ordeal! I am glad you are home and hope no more issues.

Report Inappropriate Comment
TWOTIMESS 8/20/2010 4:40PM

    So sorry to hear this! Hope you and your kitty are OK!

Report Inappropriate Comment

Five Things

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I came across this exercise on another person's blog: 5 answers to 5 questions.
Thought I'd share my own answers to these 5 Statements:

I am good at ...
---teaching others
---taking direction
---creating ritual
---making things of beauty
---healing (myself and others)

I am happiest when ...
---I am being productive
---I am not in pain
---When I am with my family
---I am learning new things

I wish time would stand still when ...
---Mother Nature is showing us all her glory with lightning and thunder storms
---One of my grandsons smiles at me
---The sunset rages with brilliant oranges and reds
---The full moon is so bright that it casts shadows
---The power and the radiance of the Goddess surrounds me

I am most proud of myself when ...
---I have learned a difficult new procedure
---I have written a beautiful poem
---I can help a child or another adult to learn something
---I have reached a goal I've set for myself

My greatest impact is when ...
---I can help others reach THEIR goals
---I can create ritual to change reality (mine or others')
---When I can show by example that the impossible can be done (like losing 140#
in one year)

  Member Comments About This Blog Post:

WALEB1002 5/18/2010 6:23PM

    great list! love it!

Report Inappropriate Comment

1 2 3 4 5 Last Page