Friday, July 16, 2010
I only had a few minutes this morning, but I wanted to check in with my SP friends! After being sick on Sunday night and into Tuesday morning, then the car accident on Tuesday, followed by driving 11.5 hours (instead of 10) on Wednesday, I was kinda out of sorts!
But yesterday dawned bright and clear. I got to spend some time working with two of my sons on the conference organization! And renewed friendships with folks I only see once a year. And typing this, I was thinking of the things that went wrong - and boy, did some things go wrong! But all in all, it was a great day. I got up, I moved, I laughed and I was loved. I think I sometimes focus on all the crap that happens instead of the good parts.
Today, 2600 plus people are going to arrive for a wonderful weekend of renewing their lives in Christ. New friendships will be forged and old ones renewed. Someone will shift their thinking to a more positive avenue. Someone will go home a changed person. It's gonna be awesome!
Have an awesome __________________! (You fill in the blank!)
Hugs, peace and many blessings!
Monday, July 12, 2010
We had a great time this past weekend, walking constantly and dancing and moving. I was loving it! Got some great pirate pics and even went to church to commemorate the 400th anniversary of St. John's Episcopal Church in Hampton. Went on a replica of a Dutch ship that is sailed like it was hundreds of years ago.
We stopped for brunch at one of my favorite places downtown. I had Eggs Blue with blue crabcakes topped with hollandaise and asparagus. Small sides of potatoes and fresh fruit. Yummy, but I felt kinda queasy. Walked an hour more and decided to go home. I attributed being queasy to being hot. Once we got home, I felt so bad - I actually took a nap! I had been up the night before do to an unexpected phone call at 1:30 am so I figured I was just a bit tired and cranky.
We had planned on going to dinner with my DS and her teenage daughters. They brought boys along. I hope it is a long time before I have to go through that again. Who said bad manners are funny, because they AREN'T! If you burp at the table, cover your mouth and say "excuse me"! I was very strict with my boys and they will tease, but you are always polite at meals or you get sent from the table - even to this day!.
Didn't sleep well, because of being sick to my stomach all night, it's continued on all day today. I did garden with disposable gloves (I am so OCD) for about 30 minutes. SO came home and made tomatoes and mozzarella on toast for me. It's after nine and I think I'll call it a night and hope for the best. I'm sorry if I sound whiny. I'm really not a good patient.
Saturday, July 10, 2010
Sheeeeze - some folks will tie anything to pirates! Urp, I mean - uh never mind.
After the ball Thursday night, I decided I had waited long enough to weigh in and wanted to know where I am - ta-da! 188.1 Holy cow - I'm finally below 190! I gained and lost that stinking two pounds over and over the past month and finally it's gone.
Been walking and walking and walking and dancing at the Blackbeard festival! We ate fried flounder sandwiches the first night there. Actually, we ate part and threw the rest away. We are definitely not used to fried food anymore. Both of us felt queasy and decided to eat mostly at home. Good for us!
Breakfast at home, then walked the festival again and met up with some friends. I knew I wanted a smoked turkey leg - wasn't fried and most definitely was lean. I had most of one
and was done. Not too bad. With all the walking in this heat, I've gotten my water each day. We decided to go once more tomorrow, starting at the waterfront and then to the 400th anniversary of St John's Church. Brunch downtown, then I think I am pirated out! The best things are the new friends we made, the great scenes I could never have imagined )and some I'd like to water-pic from my brain!) and being surrounded by the historical celebration of a city marking 400 years. This is a replica of a ship from Blackbeard's era.
Friday, July 09, 2010
Where to start - oh, where to start???
Okay - first - I passed the state exam for Realtor - YEA! I was so scared leading up to it, but the night before I knew I had studied as much as my brain could hold (thus it was spilling over onto my hips!) and I was calm and into the next day. I set myself up for success and passed. I know there is an analogy there for me to stay on track with weight loss. Hmmmm...
Second - painted the kitchen. Almost. I need a quart more paint! Oh, well. Himself said he'd do if for me or help me finish this weekend. Did the ceiling in Satin White and the walls are Satin Sunshine yellow with glossy white trim! It is so blinking bright in there, I no longer need to turn on the lights! SO gave me a window frame that is special to him to hang on the wall. It will frame four of my photos that can be rotated seasonally. Once I get it up, I'll put up the picture, so to speak. lol!
Also completed another CTAC challenge. Eggplant with Toasted Spices. Okay - separate blog for that.
Lastly, didn't lose the challenge weight, but we went to the Pirate's Ball last night. Oh my goodness! We had a blast! Food and beverages were ongoing and we ate abundantly, I thought. But looking back on it, I really didn't eat that much, which would account for the beer headache I have this morning. . I normally don't drink beer, but there was no wine. (I whined!) We danced and danced and danced. Oh, my aching feet! Even got to be friends with the band and took a picture with a Senator. No clue who he was!!! SO wore a kilt with a dinner jacket and was approached by many men complimenting him. Boy, that sounds odd! But the band was all in kilts as well. And some of the costumes... I saw more flesh than Blackbeard did! I think it was Pirate Ball aka, Fredrick's of Hollywood showcase.
Still gardening and fighting the garden pests. So far me - nothing and them - everything. Today, I'm making a nice organic onion bath for the whole garden! Lotta crying going on in my kitchen! Then I'll treat myself to some pirate fare at the festival!
Thursday, July 01, 2010
From the NY Times
Cucumbers contain most of the vitamins you need every day; just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3
Vitamin B5, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, and Vitamin C. Cucumbers also contain Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus and Zinc.
1. Feeling tired in the afternoon, put down the caffeinated soda and pick up a cucumber. Cucumbers are a good source of B. Vitamins and Carbohydrates that can provide that quick pick-me-up that can last for hours.
2. Tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the mirror, it will eliminate the fog and provide a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
3. Are grubs and slugs ruining your planting beds? Place a few slices in a small pie tin and your garden will be free of pests all season long. The chemicals in the cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent undetectable to humans but drive garden pests crazy and make them flee the area.
4. Looking for a fast and easy way to remove cellulite before going out or to the pool? Try rubbing a slice or two of cucumbers along your problem area for a few minutes, the phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten, firming up the outer layer and reducing the visibility of cellulite. Works great on wrinkles too!!!
5. Want to avoid a hangover or terrible headache? Eat a few cucumber slices before going to bed and wake up refreshed and headache free. Cucumbers contain enough sugar, B vitamins and electrolytes to replenish essential nutrients the body lost, keeping everything in equilibrium, avoiding both a hangover and headache!!
6. Looking to fight off that afternoon or evening snacking binge? Cucumbers have been used for centuries and often used by European trappers, traders and explores for quick meals to thwart off starvation.
7. Have an important meeting or job interview and you realize that you don't have enough time to polish your shoes? Rub a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe, its chemicals will provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also repels water.
8. Out of WD 40 and need to fix a squeaky hinge? Take a cucumber slice and rub it along the problematic hinge, and viola, the squeak is gone!
9. Stressed out and don't have time for massage, facial or visit to the spa? Cut up an entire cucumber and place it in a boiling pot of water, the chemicals and nutrients from the cucumber with react with the boiling water and be released in the steam, creating a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown the reduce stress in new mothers and college students during final exams.
10. Just finish a business lunch and realize you don't have gum or mints? Take a slice of cucumber and press it to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds to eliminate bad breath, the phytochemcials will kill the bacteria in your mouth responsible for causing bad breath.
11. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your faucets, sinks or stainless steel? Take a slice of cucumber and rub it on the surface you want to clean, not only will it remove years of tarnish and bring back the shine, but is won't leave streaks and won't harm you fingers or fingernails while you clean.
12. Using a pen and made a mistake? Take the outside of the cucumber and slowly use it to erase the pen writing, also works great on crayons and markers that the kids have used to decorate the walls!!
Get An Email Alert Each Time WINE4GIRL Posts