Tuesday, October 02, 2012
Give 3 or 4 reasons and for each (reason/excuse on why my diets and exercise plans have not been well-executed in the past) write a strategy that will keep me on track for 8 weeks.
I read this on BEATLETOT's blog and decided it would behoove me to do it.
"I am craving something sweet."
Strategy: Chew sugar-free gum. Buy the yummy dessert-flavored gums.
"I am craving pizza/cheese sticks/pure fat."
Strategy: Eat a piece of cheese, not 10 mozzarella sticks! I am going to have to outlaw pizza entirely, because I can't eat it in moderation. The craving comes from that salt-fat phenomenon. When I eat salt and fat together, or sugar and fat together, I want more of both! It's like food crack.
"We have nothing to eat that is on my diet."
Strategy: Be prepared to shop consciously at the grocery store. I need to focus on the periphery of the store, where the meats, fruits, vegetables, and *fresh* foods are.
"I really want a drink."
Strategy: I need to get over this one. It is not a healthy way for me to manage stress. I have to remind myself that nothing (especially alcohol) tastes or feels as good as being at my goal weight will feel after all of this trying and starting over.
"Free (insert calorie-dense snack or treat here)!"
Strategy: People at work make things all the time and bring cake and whatnot in constantly. It is almost daily that I face temptation. Just because it's free doesn't mean I should eat it.
"I'm tired and I don't feel like exercising."
Strategy: I'm committing to at least ten minutes of exercise per day. I can walk around the block (.5 miles) at least daily, and I want to make my goal to do 20-30 minutes of walking and exercise of any sort at least 5 days a week.
I use that excuse not to exercise almost daily. I have what is clinically known as "tired all the time" syndrome.
Anyway, that is the assignment and I am crediting BEATLETOT with the idea to write a blog about it. I have a lot more diet excuses than exercise excuses. I usually blow my diet before I don't exercise.
I hope you all are having a great October! I, for one, am taking charge of my life!
Monday, October 01, 2012
It is officially my favorite month of the whole year: October. Ah, yes. The month of perfect fall weather has started.
I am also officially on induction phase of the Atkins diet. I am going to do Induction for 2 weeks, and then go into phase 2 of Atkins. If I can make it this two weeks, I am going to be so proud of myself.
Eating at work is my main problem. They had family night at the nursing home last night and we all get free food afterwards. Namely cookies, cake, and meatballs. How do I overcome this?
I read a really great blog yesterday. It reminded me that I need to make specific goals instead of broad ones that I can manipulate to my advantage when I binge.
Goals for October
1. Eat within my calorie range for 2 weeks of Induction, and stay within it for the rest of the month! This is going to be a hard one.
2. Get 500 monthly fitness minutes. I have never made it all the way to 500 minutes, or if I have, it was only one time in the YEARS I have been on this website. Exercise is a bane to my existence. I know if I only can get started, I will enjoy it, and there will be benefits for me (ex. mood stabilizer, antidepressant, energy). So my goal is small, just get about 200 more fitness minutes in for the month. I should be able to do that walking 150 minutes a week (30 minutes 5 times a week).
3. Walk at least 5 times per week, even if it's just for a mile.
Sunday, September 30, 2012
I can't believe tomorrow is October 1st. I am totally ready for my favorite month! Also, the Fall 5% challenge starts on October 6th. I am ready to get started! To remind me why I want to continue to strive toward a thinner and healthier me...
Why do I want to lose weight?
I have always been chubby. Or, at least that's what I thought. Looking back, I have never been skinnier than when I'd thought I was fat. Now that I am in the "overweight" category by almost 20 lb. I can see the insanity there.
1. I want to be healthier. I want to live a long and healthy life, and not be victim to disease that affects the overweight.
2. I want to start a family. I want to be a good role model for my future children, and I don't want them to have the same thought process regarding food as I have. I want them to be "normal."
3. I want to feel better about myself. I love some parts of myself. I want to love my body more, though.
4. I want to fit into my clothes again.
5. I want to stop having to buy larger and larger clothing.
I have many more reasons, but to start the month of October on the right foot, I wanted to remind myself why I am doing this thing, and all I have to gain from reaching my goal.
Saturday, September 29, 2012
Well, day 3 didn't go as planned. I am ok, though. We all slip up now and again. I am starting fresh today and back on plan, feeling motivated to do this thing! It is hard because my husband brings treats into the house.
I am talking about those evil "Fall Party Cakes," which are those Easter cake things that are covered in white chocolate and taste heavenly with all their trans fats. I ate 4 packs of them. It was a full on binge. I narrowly avoided eating a chocolate bar we have left over from s'more-making a few weeks ago. Plus, I ate a big plate of rice with dinner. So the day ended poorly. Started great, though!
The lesson from this story is don't let the hub bring things into the house, and if he does, make him keep the stuff in his car or something so I don't eat it!
Get An Email Alert Each Time WHITNEYLD Posts