Thursday, December 30, 2010
Hey everyone, Hope you are gearing up for a great New Yearí Eve. This year will be a little different for Tom and I. For starters he will actually be home on a holiday for once and I love it. Secondly I of course will not be partaking in alcoholic beverages which is a little disappointing because I love champagne toasts, but itís for Baby Sweetpea!
Yesterday I had my second doctorís visit. We went over the results of my blood work and early ultrasound. Everything looks good, cholesterol, weight, blood pressure, etc. Doctor says Mom and baby are healthy and should continue doing what we are doing. We did talk about working out since I have been taking it easy because of morning sickness and he assured me things will even out soon and I can get back to normal workouts. That made me feel good since I am starting to get stir crazy. We did try and find the heartbeat so I could get a listen but itís still a little too early for that. Hopefully in the next few weeks we can see and hear the baby! Overall the visit went well and we are scheduled for another ultrasound in a few weeks and another doctorís appointment the following week. In the meantime I am looking for a new doctor. I like this doctor a lot. Heís easy going and relaxed which I like and never makes me feel uneasy but he delivers at a hospital in a questionable part of town that I am not comfortable in and itís an old run down place. Currently we are looking for a doctor that delivers at the hospital like 10 minutes from our house(probably closer than that but Iím being generous). Itís hard because there arenít many since they just opened their birthing wing in the last 3 years. I am calling around and reading reviews so I hope to find someone soon. Itís hard when you donít know many people in the area that you could ask for referrals. I just hope something comes up soon so that I donít get too attached to our current doctor.
In other baby news, husband and I are going to start our registry this weekend. I know itís crazy early but I want to get a jump start on it especially since we plan on having the baby shower earlier rather than later. My sister had hers around 34 weeks and was miserable because she was so big so we want to do it around 30 weeks. I know thatís awhile from now but hubby and I donít have many off weekends to just traipse all over looking at baby stuff so itís nice to get a head start. We are definitely not finding out the sex though so I know that will make things a little more complicated. I think you only get a few chances in life to be truly surprised and the sex of the baby is one, so I have already put my foot down!
Other than the registry I am pretty cranky still which the doctor assured me should clear up soon. Iím just not sleeping well- still having vivid crazy dreams, sometimes nightmares. I also sweat my buns off and have to get up and change out of sweats into shorts most nights. Iím freezing when I lie down and then I just get so hot, itís crazy. It doesnít help that you canít get a full nights sleep because of peeing all night either. Morning sickness is in full effect still which makes me irritable. Nothing smells or tastes or sounds like it will taste good so I donít want to eat, however if I donít eat I feel worse so I am working on tolerating some foods. I eat a lot of oranges/clementines and saltines. Not the most nutritious but what can you do. I know it will end and I canít wait to get back to a normal eating pattern!
Lastly we made our big announcement to the friends and family who didnít already know over Christmas. Really the only people who knew were my mom and sisters. We wanted to wait and tell Tomís family in person so on Christmas night Tom set the camera tripod up and made everyone squeeze in for a picture. The first take he said ďEveryone say ĎCheeseíĒ and then he reset it for a second shot. This time he said ďEveryone say ĎJulieneís Pregnant!íĒ. Everyone was shocked. They all started giggling and crying. It was nice to have the moment on film until I looked at the pictures, you canít see me and the picture is so off to one side it cut his pap out altogether. It was still nice to be able to spring the surprise on them!
I think thatís about it for now, Iíll update as the weeks go on so you can all follow in the progress of Baby Sweetpea!
Wednesday, December 01, 2010
I can't believe it's December 1 already. Wow where has the past year gone. In just 10 days I will be celebrating my 26th birthday as well as my 1st wedding anniversary. I say to my hubby at least 1 time a day how fast this first year of marriage went. I still can't believe it. We definitely had some ups and downs but I think our first year was great without too many glitches. I think living together for so long helps with those first year wedding growing pains. We have exciting things planned for the upcoming months including a trip to Disney to see my sister in 10 days. We also plan on going to Pittsburgh for Christmas and spending it with both sides of our family. The new year will hold lots more exciting things I'm sure, hopefully including looking for a bigger house with a yard for our doggies!
Onto the goals- Below are November's goals and overall I think they were great, I am down some weight and couldn't be happier. I am comfortably fitting 6/8's and it's the smallest I have ever been in my life! Life couldn't get much better but we can certainly try!
Goals for November included
1. Workout 25/30 days and get in 250 cardio minutes a week.
Result- I worked out 24/30 days since the doctor had me on rest for the last few days. I averaged 287 cardio minutes a week and burned 13,754 calories this month, overall a huge success!
2. Drink a gallon of water a day-
Results- my water intake has naturally increased because I eliminated coffee and soda so I am averaging a gallon on most days so again success!
3. No soda-
Results- my first soda in a month was today and I actually just had a ginger ale to calm my bellyache. SUCCESS!
Results- I had no problem staying within range all month, even Thanksgiving. Since I cooked myself I had more control of what we ate and what went in it. I still indulged this month, including Oh Baby bars and Mexican take out so it's proof you can do it
Results- My IT band issue has prevented me from running too much. I did squeeze in a few runs but not nearly as many as I had wanted, however the doctor has warned me to stay off running until my IT feels 100% to prevent further injury. I guess not so successful here!
6. Lose weight-(SW Nov 1- 155.6)
Results- I weighed in at 148.8 this morning so that's a total of 6.8 lbs for the month. I moved into maintenance mode because I want to see how it is to maintain for awhile and hopefully shed the last 5 lbs naturally. It's amazing how focusing on the above goals this month helped me shatter the plateau I was in and get me the hell out of the 150's
1. Work out consistently even with the holidays. I would like to workout 24/31 days this month. I would also like to continue to average 250 cardio minutes a week
2. Strength Training- part of my success in November I can attribute to getting back to strength training. The months I lost the most weight I was ST 3 days a week, I want to continue that through the New Year.
3. Nutrition- I want to continue focusing on filling my belly with healthy, whole foods. I want to try and listen to my hunger cues and eat when I'm hungry not just because the food is there.
4. Stress- the holidays can create stress overload so I want to work on eliminating that by remembering that it's just a day and no need to freak out. Gifts aren't important and neither are foods/cookies/toys etc. I want to focus on family, friends and just the spirit of the holiday
5. Lastly I want to make sure and enjoy time with my husband this month. He is working more and more lately picking up overtime to save up some moolah for some changes we want to make to the house(before we move I hope!) so I want to enjoy the time we do spend together and I don't want it to be in front of the tv
I think those goals are pretty attainable this month, I hope everyone else has some good goals in mind too. Before we know it we will be making New Year's resolutions!
Have a great day!
Wednesday, December 01, 2010
I too am bored at work, the holidays tend to be slower for us so I need to find things to occupy my mind(otherwise I eat to occupy my mouth!!)
A is for Age: 25- 26 in 10 days!!
B is for Booze: Hmm, I don't really drink but I like margaritas or mojitos if I do.
C is for Career: Sales Manager
D is for Dad's name: Robert
E is for Essential items to bring to a party: good music!
F is for Favorite song or music: Currently I am jamming to Keri Hilson Pretty Girl Rock
G is for Goof off thing to do: act silly with the hubs, we dance in the car or in stores H is for Hometown: Pittsburgh PA
I is for Instrument you play: None, I am not musically inclined at all.
J is for Jam or Jelly you like: Strawberry jam please
K is for Kids: None yet
L is for Living arrangement: Townhouse with hubby and our fur babies
M is for Mom's name: Cindy
N is for Name of best friend: Staci
O is for Overnight Stay in a Hospital: Just once when I was younger and had hip surgery
P is for Phobias: oh man I am a scaredy cat, I don't like needles, heights, creepy crawlies, haha I could go on and on
Q is for Quote you like: Be wise enough not to be recklss, but brave enough to take great risks!
R is for Relationship that lasted longest: current- 7 years and going strong, love my hubs!
S is for Siblings: 2 sister, 1 brother. 2 step brothers
T is for Texas, ever been? Yes, I was in Houston this June. It's hot!
V is for vegetable you love: Man I love a lot of them, corn or broccoli are the top of my list
W is for Worst traits: Procrastinator, know it all
X- is for X-rays you've had: Teeth, leg, arm, stomach
Y is for Yummy food you make: I love to bake, cupcakes or brownies are my specialty. If you mean real food, probably homemade spaghetti sauce
Z is for Zodiac sign: Sagittarius
Tuesday, November 02, 2010
Holy cow I can not believe that it is already November. Where did this year fly to? I keep saying to Tom "Can you believe we have almost been married a year?" It seems like just yesterday we were getting engaged and now it has been almost a year since the wedding. It's amazing how fast time flies!
November 1 is officially the start of the holiday season in my mind. Thanksgiving will be here before you know it and even sooner will be Christmas. I love the holiday season for all the special memories and the sense of joy and warmth it brings me. I can't think of the holidays without being reminded of how lucky I am to have such wonderful things in my life. As happy and joyful as this time of year is it can also be stressful and super busy. I read somewhere that most people put on 10 lbs between Thanksgiving and New Years and although that is frustrating I can definitely understand how it happens. This is a very food oriented time of year, there are parties and sometimes multiple dinners on the same night that most people indulge at. Time seems to be sucked into warp speed and with shopping, planning, partying and work time for healthy choices seems nonexistent for most people. However I am vowing to not get sucked into that statistic. My goal is to actually lose weight this holiday season, much like I did last year. Between Thanksgiving and New Years Day last year I actually lost 6 lbs. I was a much higher weight at the time but I am still determined to keep the weight off this year. I plan to indulge but in moderation and still enjoy myself without focusing on food.
Goals for November include
1. Workout 25/30 days and get in 250 cardio minutes a week. I like the idea of allowing myself a few days of rest. When I first started on Sparkpeople I felt really guilty when I didn't work out 7 days a week and I realize now that I have to allow my body time to recoup.
2. Drink a gallon of water a day- I manage to get at least 100 oz a day so the extra ounces shouldn't be such a struggle.
3. No soda- I am a diet Pepsi addict but haven't had one in 3 days and want to keep it that way. It's amazing how different I feel when I am not all wound up on caffeine and I am actually switching to decaf coffee.
4. Calories- My goal is to stay within calorie ranges even on holidays and special occassion days. It's so easy to say today is a holiday who cares about calories but I always regret it later so I plan to splurge but only when it's really worth it. For example I don't like pumpkin pie so why waste calories on it when I would much rather save those calories for a treat that I enjoy!
5. Run- I want to continue running outdoors as much as possible. I want to try and maintain some of my mileage so that in the spring I don't have to start back at square 1 for my next race. I hate the treadmill so I plan to get as much running in this month as possible.
6. Lose weight- I don't want to put a number on this, mainly because I beat myself up when I don't reach my goals. Overall I just want to lose weight no matter if it's 1 lb or 5. (SW Nov 1- 155.6)
That's it for this month. I know I can do it, I just need to stick to the program. Since we only have 2 months left to 2011 I thought this was about time to reevaluate my 2010 goals and see what I still have left to accomplish.
1. Weight loss- I want to continue on the path that I am heading and get to my goal weight and maintain it. I want to focus on truly becoming a healthy person, with a healthy mind and body. Tom and I both made this a focus this year and I know that we will accomplish this together. (Update- definitely moving in the right direction, not at goal yet but leaps and bounds from where I started the year- Jan 1 187 lbs Nov 1- 155.6 lbs)
2. Money- pay off as much debt as we can this year- hopefully about 1/3 and also start saving money. I want us to build up our savings, which we depleted when we had to put Sophie through so many surgeries. I know that we can pay this debt off we just need to buckle down and do it. (Update- We paid off a lot this year. We managed to pay off 2/3 and are well on our way to paying off the rest. We have not much saved yet because we are focusing all efforts on paying off)
3. Wife- work on building our relationship as husband and wife. Take time each week/day to show Tom my appreciation of him and all that he does. I want to spend time doing the little things that I know make him happy, even if it's just making him a delicious dessert. He is a great man and an awesome husband so far and I don't think I tell him often enough that he is amazing. (Update-This has been fun, I spend time every week doing something for Tom. Sometimes I bake his favorite snacks for him to share at work, or make a special meal ahead of time that he can enjoy at work all week- he does shift work so dinner isnt always at home with me. I have left cards and notes on his car and sent emails just so he knows I care)
4. House- finish painting the rooms of the house and work on hanging things up so this looks like our home and not a rental. Determine what changes we want to make this year if any- flooring, appliances, etc. We have lived in our house for almost 2 years and have only 1 room completely finished. Sometimes working on the house takes a back burner to other things going on, so I want us to make this a priority. I will never consider Baltimore my home, especially if our house doesn't feel like it's ours. (Update- We have painted every room except the kitchen and that's a chore since you have to move appliances. We have definitely made the house feel more like home but a home is always a work in progress)
5. Puppy- adopt or purchase a dog and get them adjusted to our home life. We have been scouring the ASPCA websites as well as contacting breeders. I would love to have another mini dachshund, mainly because as silly as it sounds, Sophie does recognize other dogs of the same breed. She gravitates towards them, probably because they are on her level. I really want to find a puppy friend for her to help us make this family more complete. (Update-Remi has lived with us almost a year and he is growing on us more and more. He is neurotic but so loveable and he and Sophie wrestle and play and keep us entertained)
6. Baby- start trying for baby Seftick #1 before the end of the year- begin the process in October 2010. October is a tentative date for us. We know we want to start a family we just aren't ready at this moment. Tom wants to make sure he is secure in his job, he is always so practical and we want to make sure we don't rush into anything, especially since we have been married less than a month. Regardless I am excited to bring a baby into this world, especially if they look like him, I think he's gorgeous. (Update- this got pushed back a little since I had some health issues that prevented this from happening. We are working on the health things and plan to start trying after the New year)
7. Dates- really make good use of the time Tom and I have together. Plan dates, vacations, weekends away so that we can spend quality time together. We have limited time together. Since he works nights his schedule is weird and we don't often end up with 3 weekend days together. I really want us to focus on having quality time together even when the quantity isn't much. We often just spend a night on the couch watching movies and I think we should focus on getting out more, especially since we haven't done much exploring of Baltimore. (Update- again another fun one. We have enjoyed exploring new restaurants and parts of Baltimore. We go out together alone at least once a month and always try a new place and so far haven't had any dates we haven't loved)
8. 5k- run at least 1 5k this year and encourage Tom to run it with me. This is self explanatory. I have been upping my mileage on the treadmill and have been running 3-5 miles at least 3 days a week so I know I can do it, it's a matter of committing to a date now. YIKES (Update- well I skipped right over the 5k and went straight to the half marathon. I ran my first on Oct 16, 2010 but am still trying to squeeze in a 5k this year, maybe Turkey Trot or Holiday Run)
9. Housework- get better at managing my time and housecleaning so that I donít have to spend an entire day cleaning. Truly strive for the clean 1 room a day plan so that I donít have to spend 8 hours cleaning on a Saturday. This is something I worked on for awhile and when it was getting done it was beautiful, but then Tom started working nights, making it me cleaning all the time. Not to mention when is home I would rather sit and cuddle with him than run the vaccum. This will be a big one for us this year, working on balancing it all. (Update- Check check check. Tom and I have been super dilligent with cleaning 1 room a day. It makes life so much easier because we spend way less weekend time tidying up. We do a deep clean once a month and we tackle that in a few hours on a Saturday but other than that our weekends are free)
10. Family and Friends- be a better friend, daughter, daughter in law, sister, aunt, etc. I didn't get to spend nearly as much time in Pittsburgh in 2009 and I want to spend more in 2010. My family and I are very close and when I only get to see them 1 time every 3 months it takes a toll on me and my relationship with them and Tom. I want to encourage them to come visit me more often as well (Update- I wish this was better, I travelled to PA a few times this year but wish I could have gone more. I also wish my family could have gotten here more but that's the way life is unfortuntely. I need to remember to focus on this again next year)
I think that's it for today. Today is dragging and I wish it were Thursday and not Tuesday but what can you do. Hope everyone is having a great week and a fantastic start to November!
Get An Email Alert Each Time WHITEJM11 Posts