Wednesday, December 02, 2009
I took my pre-vacation weigh in this morning. I stepped on the scale, prepared to face the music for Thanksgiving week. I prepared myself for the worst, rationalizing after I get back I'll be in control of counting calories and regular workouts again.
The scale flashed 'wait' for what seemed forever. Then finally, the number. The number that I hope to maintain while on vacation.
I didn't believe it. I stepped on the scale again. Certainly there must have been some momentary planetary flux that threw off the numbers.
How did I *lose* a pound over Thanksgiving week??
I have no idea how I did it. By my estimates, I should have been maintaining, or...gulp...gaining. I consumed about as many calories as I was burning, according to my food logs and GoWear Fit. Maybe I overestimated my calories? Maybe you can eat more and lose weight if you exercise? Maybe I was implanted with an alien weight loss chip during the planetary flux?
I don't know, but I'm going to roll with it. Yay!
So 131.6 is the number to shoot for when I return.
Take care, friends! Have a wonderful week where ever you are!
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
December is going to be a serious challenge. I am attending a friend's wedding in the Bahamas tomorrow with endless buffets and drinks. I am visiting my parents at the end of the month for the Christmas and New Year holiday. Seriously rough time keeping my food and fitness goals in check as I will not have a routine schedule for many days of the month.
Thus, my goals are fairly generic.
- Focus on maintaining. Weight loss is probably going to be unrealistic. I am, however, willing to be 'disappointed'!
- Do lots of fitness activities. In the Bahamas, I will be snorkeling, swimming, and kayaking as much as possible. I'm not much of a sunbather pool lounger. I want to PLAY in the ocean as much as I can! It's a treat that I don't usually get to do!
- Avoid sunburn. I will be using lots of SPF 50 sunscreen and covered up as much as possible. The sun is a treat for this sun starved Seattlite, but a sunburn is just not worth it. I'll be getting my 10-20 minutes of vitamin D love, then slathering on the sunscreen and sunhat. The last time I went snorkeling, I didn't reapply enough sunscreen after getting out of the water and ended up with sunburns on my back and legs from the snorkeling. I bought surfer swim shorts and swim shirt designed to prevent this problem. If I don't end up with a bronze tan, I'm ok with that. I really don't want red, peeling skin.
- Plate portioning. At buffets, I will eat a salad plate, and then plate portion my meals. 1/4 protein, 1/4 starch, and the rest steamed veggies. This always fills me up. When eating at restaurants, I will try to order ala carte for breakfast. Lunch and dinner I'll pick the leanest options.
- If my portions are too large, I'll just have to be ok with not eating all of it. I won't have a fridge. It won't do me any good to clean the plate.
- Skipping the dessert trays. Cocktails will replace them as my treat.
- Sip alcoholic drinks sloooowly. The slower I drink, the less I'll drink. I'm going to try for mostly vodka tonics. But I will have a few fabulous fruity cocktails. I'm looking forward to the dirty bananas!
- Focus on doing activities while visiting my parents. I'll also be showing my boyfriend around my hometown. We'll hit some of my favorite hiking trails back home. Unfortunately, we won't be able to do any skiing this time due to his back injury, and we don't have a lot of discretionary money. (Bahamas was already preplanned).
- Look forward to the wedding celebration and holiday dinners. If I can keep moving around, then I should be able to keep my goal to maintain.
Happy holidays, and best wishes for your December goals!
Monday, November 30, 2009
The date is finally here. My friends' wedding in the Bahamas is just 3 days away!! I'm so ready for sunshine love!
I've got all my stuff ready. The most important of course - my bikinis and sarongs! I'm a couple pounds short of where I was hoping to be, but that's ok. I am in much better shape than I was in 3 months ago!
After all this hard work, I am actually kind of worried about how I'm going to handle the buffets and endless Bahama Mamas. I usually do well with the food, but the alcoholic drinks are pure calorie hell. The wedding dinner and reception are pre-planned, so there shouldn't be too many problems there.
I don't plan on counting calories. I do plan on being very active. Snorkeling and kayaking are my passion. I will be swimming/snorkeling every day if I can help it. I will not be diving this time since my dive buddy isn't coming with me. When my boyfriend and I vacation, we are adventure seekers. I will miss my exploration partner. My friends are pool loungers, so I will probably be slightly less active than usual due to that.
I'm going to try my best not to obsess over food or overindulge. I am merely shooting for maintaining. I will not be losing weight, that's a given - lol. However, I do not want to completely unravel all my hard work. I'm sure I can enjoy what I want, but sensibly. Fortunately, my sweet tooth has mostly been eradicated, and I'm confident dessert plates won't be causing trouble. Burgers and alcohol on the other hand...
I'm still not sure how I'm going to handle the alcohol. I know from previous experience that the food on vacations doesn't make me gain nearly as much as the fruity booze. What to do, what to do?
Friday, November 27, 2009
Yesterday was a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends. I enjoyed sharing food and stories, and spending time with great people.
While yesterday I wrote my goals that I wasn't going to worry about calories and dieting, it would be dishonest for me to say that the thoughts didn't cross my mind. I used my plate portioning strategy to pretty good success. 1/4 turkey, 1/4 mashed potatoes and stuffing, dinner roll, and the rest green beans and other greens. However, I went back for an extra portion of stuffing. I'm a stuffing monster!
I tallied up my calories consumed from yesterday and started to groan. I was getting worried as I kept adding and adding dishes. However, if I calculated correctly, I ate 1800 calories for yesterday, which is about what I planned. Take a look at my food tracker for yesterday if you're curious how it all came out. I took a 40 minute bike ride in the morning, so at least I got some exercise in.
Not knowing how many calories I ate, I was worried. But now that I know, I'm feeling great! Yes, 1800 calories is over my normal daily allotment, but it is within my expected boundaries, and I'm fine with that.
Even though I used my plate portioning, it's clear to me I will always have a problem with wanting to pile food on my plate. I like to eat a lot of food. I have to be ever vigilant and mindful of that. Because I like to eat a lot of food, I will have to continue my exercise regime forever. I expect at maintenance level, I will have to do 5 hours per week of vigorous exercise. Good thing I found exercises and activities that I like to do.
How was your Thanksgiving?
Get An Email Alert Each Time VHALKYRIE Posts