Thursday, August 21, 2014
I'm not going to lie. I have been severely lacking on keeping up with the program. Somewhere along the line I just stopped. Stopped tracking, stopped intentional exercise, stopped eating even remotely healthy. And I am ashamed of myself.
I'll make up a lot of excuses. "My back hurts", "I'm too tired", "I'm too busy to put in the effort". But you know something? That's what they are. Excuses. Yes, it is true that I have been experiencing a lot of back pain, and I've been looking for options to help me with that. In fact, I start physical therapy in 2 weeks. And for whatever reason I'm nervous as hell about it. As for "I'm too tired, and too busy", well, maybe I wouldn't be so tired if I did put in the effort and bang out those workouts. Even if it's just those 10 minutes. And I'd have more time if I included the kids in it. Hell, maybe it'll even tire them out and they'll take a nap.
But the truth about all of this is, I'm not happy. And I want to be happy. Who doesn't, right?
I'm telling you all this hoping that maybe, just maybe, it'll keep me more accountable to myself. Because I don't want to put on the charade of talking the talk if I'm not walking the walk. I'm counting on myself to not only do it for myself, and my family, but also for you.
On that note, I'm going to go get a good night's rest so that I can start fresh and get myself back on track, first thing in the morning.
Wednesday, January 01, 2014
So the new year has dawned, and while I've come a long way, I'm not 100% satisfied with where I am now. There is definitely room for improvement. Not that I'm beating myself up over it. Quite the opposite. I see my own shortcomings and can recognize where there is room for improvement. The obstacles that prevented me from reaching those goals last year aren't completely out of my view, but I know how to tackle them now. And I'm ready to do it.
I'm starting the new year out with a brand spanking new gym membership. And I've already used it once (WOOHOO!) That will definitely give me a leg up training for my 5k, and surprisingly enough, it's easier to get to the gym than it is to walk out the door and run through the neighborhood (I can't be the only person not wanting to run outside in below freezing weather, or just barely above when it's pouring rain, or that lives in a city that has beaten it's record number of homicides this year).
I know where things are going with my back, so that's a plus (Though I do need to call a chiropracter)
I have an appointment with a surgeon this month for a consultation about my gallbladder, though the doctor thinks that the stones should resolve themselves on their own and not require surgery.
I'm not pregnant anymore, so that's not limiting me.
All in all, I think it's going to be a good year to reach my goals.
Saturday, November 16, 2013
Here I am, 12:30am, and what am I doing? Eating a bowl of bananas and peanut butter and simply listening to my kids breathe. I wish that I were sleeping like they are. So why aren't I? Well, because my toddler keeps trying to kill my newborn. I was getting the 3 of us ready for bed when I had to run in the bathroom to put on deodorant. Generally, I keep it in my nightstand, but I ran out, so I had to steal some of the hubby's. When I left the room, Xena was laying under the blanket with her head on the pillow. Isis was laying at the foot of the bed in the opposite side. She was crying. I left the door open and just ran down the hall, the 10 feet to the bathroom. Only a couple of seconds. But by the time I got back, Xena was in the middle of the bed with Isis in a choke hold on top of her. So that leaves me here now, laying awake, listening to both of them breathe but mainly paying attention to Isis hoping she hasn't been injured and paranoid that she's going to stop breathing (really not helping that I have a friend who list her daughter to SIDS this morning and she was just 10 days younger than Isis), and eating because that's what nervous mothers paranoid that their kids are going to die do. However, I'm going to look at the bright side of things. Of all the things in the kitchen and pantry, I went for the peanut butter and bananas. There's a gallon sized Ziploc of Halloween candy and 3 cans of Pringles in the pantry with the peanut butter. Just a few feet away from the fruit bowl is the freezer with 3 cartons of ice cream, all sorts of sundae toppings in the fridge, and ice cream cones. That's pretty darn good of me, don't ya think? I mean, yes, I am emotional eating, but I chose something healthful. And besides which, I was feeling hungry anyway. If I had actually been intending on still being awake, I was actually leaving more towards a sandwich, but I'm not really starting awake... even though I am. A technicality, ya know. Technically awake, but not accomplishing anything. On a brighter note, I can read some emails and charge my Fitbit without missing a step. Ugh. So tired though. I wish these kids could just get along (or more so, that Xena would behave and not try to hurt her sister who is to young to protect herself).
Anyone with tips on quelling sibling rivalry?
Sunday, November 03, 2013
Today is the last day of the fall challenge, and I feel like it has been successful for me, at least for the purposes I joined it. I didn't expect to "do well" or to lose a lot of weight. I just wanted some motivation to keep me off my butt through the last weeks of pregnancy and postpartum. It's been successful at that., What's more, I'll credit it for making my labor and delivery so easy and my recovery so quick. (20 minutes later I was jumping out of bed to use the bathroom. Totally flabbergasted the nurses.) I've come to learn that I'm capable of a lot more than I thought I was. I even signed up now for Run or Dye in April. (I'll admit that I'm a little nervous about that because I am definitely NOT a runner... YET, and it's going to be darn cold out when I should be training for it and it's not going to be easy for me to drag myself outside to run.)
So here's the questionnaire we were asked to complete as part of the final challenge.
1) What was your start weight? 234.5
2) What was your end weight? 206.6
3) Did you reach your ending challenge weight?
4) Did you reach your goals? Well, yes. And no.
5) If so, which ones did you meet? My main purpose for joining was to keep myself active and off my butt during the final weeks of pregnancy and postpartum, which has been successful. I kept moving in some way shape or form the last 2 weeks of the pregnancy, and even postpartum, have beaten some of my previous fitness bests. (Hello finally reaching a 10,000 step day!)
6) If not, which ones did you not meet? I haven't been meeting the challenge goals, which is disappointing, but it's definitely not easy with both a toddler and newborn. The fact that I don't feel like a complete failure for missing what I did, to me at least feels like I really did give it my best.
7) What did you struggle with? Time. Energy during week 2. But most definitely time… I need there to be more than 24 hours in a day.
8) What did you do well on? Honestly, I feel like I didn't do particularly well on anything but Week 1 cardio, Week 1 & 2 ST, and Week 1 of Get Extreme
9) What challenge did you like best? I actually think the Get Extreme. Even though I only completed the first week, doing it really made me feel good.
10) Which challenge did you hate? I think the challenge of the 10's. That was the week that I had the baby, so I really had NO TIME whatsoever. The doctors/nurses sure wouldn't let me exercise in the hospital the way I would have liked to. I was a "disease control risk" so I couldn't leave my room to walk the halls. And when I got home, I was on my own with 2 kids and no real help.
11) How was your nutrition during this challenge? Eh, it could have been better. I kinda used the whole I'm pregnant/breastfeeding as an excuse to pig out
12) What suggestions do you have on future challenges? Honestly, I don't know...
13) Are there topics/threads that you wish were included and weren’t? Not really.
14) Did you have fun? Yes
15) What did you learn about you? That I can do anything I put my mind to
Get An Email Alert Each Time URBANAUDREYE Posts