Yea! I did it! I finished my first 5K today! I ran with over 1800 women from Uruguay and Argentina! I kept running and beat my personal best! The race was organized in South America by McDonald's (trying to be healthy) to raise money for Breast Cancer Research. Here are some photos and highlights of my big day!!!
1. Here I am on my way to the race and feeling very nervous! I made myself eat eggs on toast.
2. I arrived really early...my husband came along to support me and take photos!
3. We warmed up to Latin American music Zumba Style! It was the real thing and fun! Learned some new steps...
4. The race is on...I knew I wouldn't be the last across the finish line when I passed a lady pushing a stroller in the race! We ran along the beach road for 5K!
5. I crossed the finish line in the middle of the pack at 36:10. I felt proud and happy to achieve my goal!!! I even got a medal to hang around my neck!!!
I dedicated my race to two teacher friends who have survived breast cancer: Kathy and Ann! A special memory to Karen Rosenbaum,a teacher friend who lost the fight, but was brave to the end!!!
Nothing to chop, nothing to prepare, nothing to cook?
A handful of almonds will help your heart more than you know!
Just TWO ounces of almonds DAILY for TWO weeks lowered LDL Cholesterol levels and insulin resistance in a study with prediabetic patients.
For people with normal blood sugar, almonds are also beneficial to reduce inflammation and lower LDL Cholesterol levels.
So the next time Halloween candy tempts you, just reach for a handful of heart friendly almonds!
Here is the photo that inspired me to sign up for my First 5k! I took this photo of a 10K race along the beach Oct.1. I was still midway through my 5K SPARK Rookie Running Program. I decided that I would be ready to run this race next year. Then I saw I sign advertising a 5K on Oct. 30. So I signed up. I am on Week 8 of the training now and am enjoying it. Running makes me happy!
I was always the slowest in the 600 yard run in elementary school. I still remember my time of 3:15. I may be slow in this race too, but I will be happy to reach my goal. So stay tuned for photos of me dashing across the finish line.
I joined the Rookie Run to train slowly over the past 7 weeks with Spark. I am not and never have been a runner. So, at age 57 I decided to give it a try. Guess what, I like it.
I have one more week of interval training to do. I started walking 4 min. and running 1 min. intervals. Now I do the opposite and can run 4 min. at a time over a period of 35 min. I even look forward to it.
I found a 5K in Uruguay Halloween weekend that I want to sign up for. I have tried to twice on the Internet, but it is in Spanish and I need to find someone to help me. Stay tuned...and you may see a photo of me running along the beach. I hope so...