Wednesday, August 31, 2011
The "Fan Saga" PART 1: I took down the "old" fan myself...up on a very tall ladder, with a 40 pound fan to wrangle down. So...then I unboxed the "new" fan and checked it all out. I started to assemble it and was well on my way. I wrangled the "new" fan Ithe heavy 40 pound motor part) up the very tall ladder and finally got it suspended from the ceiling. At that point, I saw the 12 color-coded wires that needed to be cut, stripped and twisted with like matches on another part of the project, plus the "live", neutral and ground from the ceiling. In a blinding burst of sanity, I sought out a retired electrician in my neighborhood. He was at home, nothing to do. He came over and did the electrical wiring thing, then we assembled the rest of the fan. We tried it out...It didn't work...not at all. So we disassembled, he rechecked and redid all the wiring...we tried it again. No go. So...we have power through the ceiling wires...Not the new fan. We spent a few hours at it. Decided to give it a rest 'til this morning. I got the tech people at the fan company on the phone just as the electrician came this AM. He said "It's the fan!" Right he is. The tech people said that since an electrician would know how to hook it up, it was probably the module (with the 12 color-coded wires, transistors, etc). Long story shorter...they're Fed Xing me a new module. So, in a couple of days we're going to go through this exercise again. I really hope the new module works. If not, it might be back to old reliable. I do know that if I had done this on my own, they would not have responded so quickly to the problem. Thank heavens I asked my electrician neighbor for help!