Monday, November 01, 2010
Let's face it we've all asked questions, hoping to get answers only to be greeted by a return question that basically says, "You know the answer to that question" or better "ONLY you know the answer to that question" or worse "Only you can figure out the answer to that question."
You know return questions like:
* Why ARE you doing that to yourself?
* What CAN or SHOULD you do about the situation?
* I KNOW you are, but WHAT am I?
* Is the garment in question even MADE of WOOL!!!??
I'd answer the 3rd, but I think I know what question would follow.
Recently, a dear spark friend of mine who I love very much has been struggling with motivation. How she's having a hard time getting back on track. She wrote a blog basically asking....
Question: "Has anyone seen my motivation?"
I know the frustration. Honestly, I've kind of stagnated and felt like I've gone nowhere in the past three months health-wise. I absolutely know that it starts with motivation.
While I know that the question wasn't really meant to be answered (or greeted with another return question), here it is. I'll respond as anyone asked if they've seen someone or something that has been lost (cat, child, etc.) would....
Response: "What does it look like?"
What does it look like?
Going below 200 was a big deal for me. I did it. I went below 200! I lost for three more weeks. I ate out only twice a week and was loving it. I felt the healthiest I ever had.
Now I'm back over 200, not eating healthy and barely treading water exercise-wise. What happened?
I didn't have a vision that went beyond a number. Once I broke through the dissatisfaction of being over 200, I didn't have any reason to keep going but to hit another number.
In a leadership class that I took a couple of years ago, the teacher taught us that there are three factors that affect motivation to change
* Dissatisfaction with current situation
* Vision of the outcome of the change
* First step and success there of.
While he taught that if any of the three factors were missing, motivation was kaput, I would argue that any of the three can be strong enough. The first two are crucial. The third to me is the litmus test of the the other(s) (vision or dissatisfaction.)
I personally am not as dissatisfied with my situation as I was 23 pounds ago. For now I think I can psyche myself up over the next 7 weeks to hit 195 to say that I've met my goal. It will be freedom. A great accomplishment. I will write a blog. All of my friends will be happy for me!!!! Fireworks!!!!
yeah. Then what?
So let me ask you some questions, if I may. These are questions that I will need to answer over the next few weeks myself:
- What about your life makes you miserable enough to make the decision to bump a healthy lifestyle to the top of your list (even if it's tied with something else)?
- What are you missing out on doing in life?
- What did you have when you were healthier that you don't now?
- How tired are you really of looking in the mirror? Wearing the same limited number of unattractive clothes? Feeling sluggish? etc.?
- When you hit your goal, how will your life be better?
- What will you be able to do?
- Who will you inspire (yes, SparkFriends count also)?
- Bottom Line: What is going to make it worth it for you to make the decision to make the change and live differently even when old bad unhealthy habits call you. What will make you stand strong. This gives you something that *D* can't give you after initial victory.
- If there are 100 things you can/have to do to reach your goal what are 1 or 2 really easy things you can do to get some quick victories?
- If those don't work what are 1 or 2 other things?
Again, I'm asking these of myself as much as I'm asking you. I'm psyched about hitting my goal of 195, but I realize that that will last about two weeks once I hit it unless I develop a real vision of what a 188, 179 and ultimately 165 pound Trentdreamer (or his life) will look like.
So, in conclusion, . . . . . . . . . . . . What does it look like?
- TD Out!
Sunday, October 31, 2010
ok s0 from the beginning of september until h4lloween, my goals have been the following:
* make page all dark +dreary
* delta my profile pic @least 1ce a week
* make my profile pix scary/halloweeni5h
* write everything in some weird internet/im/martian language
* maybe do this...
but only if necessary
Starting w8: 199
g0al weight: 195
last week 200.4
ok, so i didnt lose the w8.
@ th3 same time:
* i wuz active on spark
* stupid as all 4 of my main goals were, i did maintain all 4 of them, even when i wuz tired of them (trust me, my page background is not going to bl4ck again anytime s00n)
I now have a fire in my belly to hit 195 by the end of the year (and no itz not from the burrito w h0t sauce i ate yesterday)
s0 starting tomorrow, my spark page will be colorful again, my prof pic will ch4nge roughly every 2 weeks, the pictures will be funny but not scary (at least not intentionally so) and i will 6o back 2 speaking normally (with some exceptions uv cours3. never th1s b4d tho).
im going 2 try to g0 back 2 the superfood diet i wuz trying back when i went b3low 200 back in july (wow that wuz a while a6o).
thanx 2 all of my friendz who have stuck it out with me thru this.
u all r0ck!
az this pooch, whoze having a 600d time on a trampoline wuld s4y...
thats right pooch having a 6ood time on a trampoline, preach it!!!111
ps when i joined sp, i actually thought that thi5 wuz how everyone on social networking sites talked. i have a friend who iz into anime, s0 i wuz thinking based on that.
Saturday, October 23, 2010
i get asked a lot of ?s by beautiful women (*1). oh sure, u never actually "ask" the qs, but ur thinking them. (im a guy, i can re4d womenz' minds). u ask the tough 1s. ?s like....
* "why dont u post pix of urself"
* "where did u g3t the idea 4 ur username?"
* why ru writing like ur a 15 yr old?
* "when r u going to settle down + find a nice 6rl so i can have grandchildr3n!?/" (*2)
* "h4ve u tapped in2.....the P0W3R!!!???//
theyr g00d ?s. i would even argu gr8 ?s (*3). but they miss the point.
the real ? is.....
q: how many weeks until 2011.
i want 2 make this real simple. no gimmickz, nothing fancy. oh sure i have 1 more week of this annoying writing and stupid profile pix, but even so...
its time 4 me to refocus. i want 2 hit my goal w8 by new years day.
That's 5.5 pounds in 10 weeks.
im up to 9 minutes of cardi0 a day (*4) and 6 days of strength and conditioning.
its now about the eating and sl33p. So i will think about how to handle both this week. any insights would be appreciated.
* how do u control hunger when strength training.
* how do i decrease chocolate and sugar intake (sl0wly or cold turkey?)
* what has worked 4 u when stagnating?
* am i asking the right ?s
h3y, i answered ur tough ?s earlier in the blog lol (*5)
az this 14 year old chihuahua would s4y:
(*1) hez talking about u, si11y
(*2) ok maybe he gets that 1 from hiz mom more th4n u
(*3) he actually wrote "questions", erased it and replaced it with "?s". w3ird. sad and w3ird.
(*4) adding 1 minute each day
(*5) no he didnt
Get An Email Alert Each Time TRENTDREAMER Posts