Tuesday, May 24, 2011
I canít believe 2 years have gone by. I would have thought I would have been further along, in fact I was hoping all of my weight would have been off by now and I was just maintaining. Alas I have only lost 60 pounds. I weighed in today as I only weigh in once a month because I have scale issues (more on that later) and as of today I am minus 60 pounds. Not good especially when last year I lost zippo pounds but in fact gained back almost all of the weight I lost. In fact my 1st year on Spark People I was down 73 pounds in 6 months.
Last year was the pits for me on so many levels, the main one being I was on steroids for almost the entire year. I just stopped weighing myself because I did not want to know how much the steroids were adding. I actually did not think it was that much because my clothes still fit. Boy was I wrong!
Figure that one out. When I did weigh in I was shocked I could not believe I had gained and gained that much. I was baffled because even though I wasnít weighing myself I was staying within my calorie range. I pretty much following a vegetarian diet with occasional animal protein here and there. I kept trying to get back to 100% Raw but I kept failing. I would be good for a day or two and then I would just break down and eat a cooked whole grain or pasta. Yes it was still healthy but I wanted - NO I needed to go back to 100% Raw.
I finally got off the steroids at the end of November, I think (my memory fails me which is why I am now in an Alzheimerís study). I had no excuse other than I chose not to to do it but I still didnít go Raw. It was too hard at that time of the year; the Holiday season. I knew my willpower would not get me thru all of the goodies. My biggest downfall were the chocolates and egg nog.
I had a very bad case of shingles near my eyes for almost the entire year. In late October I had a car accident of which I am still paying for. I just had rotator cuff surgery on April 19th, this year . In late November I broke my foot. 2010 was not my year.
2011 rolled around and I told myself, Enough is enough!. I said I have to go cold turkey Raw because I canít keep going on like this. Well I didnít go 100% Raw by the 1st week but I think by the 3rd week I was 100% Raw. I was also losing a pound a day and that was terrific. I think what it was is that most of the weight I gained back had to be water weight due to the steroids because otherwise how could I lose so fast? Still doesnít make me feel any better because it still set me back. I am no where near my goal.
So what have I learned in the past 2 years:
1. Spark People gave me my life back. I have never stuck with anything this long.
2. I have learned there are some really great people out there in Spark People land. I have made many friendships that I know will continue with or without Spark People. I treasure these friendships and all of the love, motivation, and support they have extended to me.
3. I have learned to love the Nutrition Tracker. I actually learned that in the 1st few months of my Spark People membership. I used to fight my doctor tooth and nail to use a food journal. Now if I donít track it BEFORE I eat it, I donít eat it.
4. I have learned to like (not love) exercise; as long as I can do it in the pool. I hate to sweat.
I have not been back to the gym since my car accident at the end of October or maybe I did go till the 1st week of November. My memory fails me here too but it is one of them and it is way to long. Now my Surgeon tells me still no gym till September.
I hate walking (sweating) but I have recently been turned onto Belly Dancing. It is fun and you don't feel as if you are exercising, you are dancing. It is still a little too much with my right shoulder even in its sling so I have to be real careful. You Ďd be surprised just what does and does not move your shoulder. I will only do about 30 minutes of Belly Dancing until I am able per my physical therapist to use my shoulder more. No lifting but just moving it. So walking it is that I must still do.
5.That the saying you can eat whatever you want in moderation is not true for everyone. Not for me, I have to make sure I stay away from my trigger foods. I no longer beat myself up by feeling bad that I canít manage to be able to eat foods in moderation. It used to really bother me that I could not do it and I felt like I failed. I know me I just have to stay clear.
6. I am addicted to food. It kind of goes with the above line. I live, eat, and sleep and food is always on my mind. The thing I have learned how though is to make healthy choices. I may talk or blog about it a lot but the choices are nutritious and healthy alternatives to what I used to eat.
7. I have learned one of the best things I like about Spark People is sharing. It can be sharing knowledge, feelings, tips, motivation, recipes, etc. I believe in giving back and sharing what I have learned with other people. I enjoy writing my food blogs because it most cases it introduces something new that some of you may have never heard of or thought of preparing it in a certain matter. I donít believe eating healthy is a death sentence; it can be really delicious. Now I have been told by one Spark member that my blogs are stupid but I have more people telling me they enjoy them and learn something from them.
8. I have learned to eat 5 or 6 mini meals a day and love it instead of thinking it is a chore. It keeps my metabolism burning and it is a great strategy for my Type II Diabetes. It works well for Raw too because most of your raw food is water and gets digested quickly by your body.
9. I do better by not eating out. # 1 I have greater control as to what goes into my body. I know exactly what all of the ingredients are and how it is prepared. # 2. It is much easier to stay on my food plan. #3 I save money that way.
10. It is true if your friends are overweight you are more than likely to be overweight. The Framingham Heart Study found that when a person becomes obese, the chances that a friend will become obese increases by 57 percent. Siblings of obese people have a 40 percent increased risk of obesity, and their spouses' risk increased by 37 percent.
I have a number of friends who have told me that I am no fun anymore because I am not their eating buddy anymore. Think about it.
11. I have learned to put myself and my needs 1st. One easy example is that for years I put off buying a food dehydrator which comes in handy with the Raw Food way of life. I couldnít justify spending the money for one. This year I changed my mind. I was worth the expense and it was something I knew would keep me on my Raw Food because eating just raw fruits and veggies or salads all of the time would be boring. I needed to get into more of the recipes. I invested $169.00 in me for a Good4U dehydrator and i have never regretted it.
12. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I HAVE LEARNED IS THAT THIS IS NOT A DIET. IT IS A LIFESTYLE CHANGE. Sorry I am not shouting at you in anger. I am shouting to pound it into my head as well as yours. Until you realize this it will never stay off. It will just be on ongoing yo-yo process. You are not choosing a death sentence but you are actually choosing life.
Saturday, May 21, 2011
I was in Church tonight at 6 PM because I go to the 5 PM mass on Saturday night so I can sleep in on Sundays. Mass went a little over because 14 children made their First Communion. Our Church is so big that the Church needed to spread the First Communions over 6 different masses at different times.
I spoke to Father Mark before Church as I usually do and after we talked about my shoulder, he asks every week I made a comment about 6 PM. I told him I know he is not a betting man as he is a priest but I said," How much you want to bet Church is packed tonight because of "The supposed Rapture?" He laughed and said I was probably right. I was, Church was packed.
It was packed with so many faces I did not recognize. Usually the Catholics that only go to Church on Christmas Day and Easter are not that up on Church doctrine. As Catholics we believe that we will not know when the end of earth as we know it.
Matthew 24:36-44 No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man.
Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.
Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him
Trust me I think half of the people there tonight do not know this as they just make the 2 appearances each year. I think they were buying extra insurance. You can't buy extra insurance, either you believe Christ died for our sins and we are supposed to live like good Catholics 365 days a year and not their courtesy 2. Sorry my opinion. Yes I was happy they made it to Mass but I wished they loved the Lord enough to come every week.
Anywho back to I am still here, what about you? I am saying that in jest because I know today was not Armageddon. However tonight I am attending an After the Rapture party at my girlfriends. She is going all out. Djay and everything. Her backyard is huge with a pool but I think it is too cold to jump in the water tonight. the weather is beautiful tonight and kind of still warm out but not enough to jump in the pool. Who knows the partying may get so rowdy some idiots may jump in.
We are requested to come dressed as either an angel or the devil. I am going to dress as an angel and one of my girlfriends is going to help me with my costume since I can't do anything with my right shoulder yet. She'll just pinup a sheet to make it look like and angel's robe. This angel will have one broken wing though and I will wear my sling tonight as I don't want anyone to bump into my shoulder. We made our halos during the week as well as our wings. They are cute.
I banked calories so I can eat up to 700 calories tonight if I have to. I plan on drinking water so I am not going to be drinking the calories. I am hoping I don't even hit 500 calories so I can be at the lower end of my calorie range. It should be a fun party. it gave a really good theme to a party even though none of us believed the world was going to end at 6 PM.
Off to go to the party and to get into costume. It will be amusing to see who chose to dress as a devil.
Get An Email Alert Each Time TRAVELNISTA Posts