Thursday, August 19, 2010
When I was at camp, I was surrounded by a handful of beautiful girls that all hated themselves. It soon became apparent that I had the highest self esteem which was ironic since I was the biggest size (not so big these days..hehe). With the personal growth and physical changes in the last year or so, I guess my self-esteem grew. I find it sad that these great women basically hated themselves.
These girls aren't alone. It seems like it is typical.
But why do they? I know it is media but who is the media? Aren't we the media? We work for the media, don't we? It is not robots.
Did you know that as our obesity rate grows, the smaller the model is expected to be?
Even more than that, it seems like models are not even real but really airbrushed! www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/vi
Talking about people in the media eye, did you know that Marilyn Monroe's size sometimes range between a 12 and 16?
So, next time you think about how not perfect you are.. please think of Marilyn Monroe. She was no size 2 but she is considered the 50's sex goddess. I am sure there were things she did not like about herself too but I think it is important to embrace what we love about ourselves.
Can you name 5 things you love about yourself? I can!
5. I love my calfs!
4. I love my natural curves!
3. I love my short, dark brunette hair making me unique!
2. I love my heart to help people!
1. I love my funky, crazy personality!
Yup, I am choosing to love me!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
Even as a little girl, I didn't take to people telling me what to do. It is no wonder I don't take to a well known personal trainer giving me a basic program.
Initially, I tried Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shed. It was alright - it did what I guess it is supposed to do. It made me sweat and I could feel it working my muscles. After a few days, I got bored. I need variety in life.. and that program gave me none. The same workout for TEN days! Hats off to the ones that can complete it and even love it.
Than, came the Couch to 5K. Even before losing weight, I have wanted to run a 5K and complete this program. I really want to say I have completed it but even more so, I want to be able to run 3 miles. How awesome would that be. I guess for me.. when it is planned, it turns into a chore. In the last week or so, I have not done the C25K. I have found I do better if I randomly decide to start running and see how far I can go. Also, I know once I get into running, I want to it like everyday... which is a huge no-no. *sigh*
Than, I was thinking maybe I just need to key it down a bit. I could do the 200 crunch program like BAILEYS7OF9. It is simple.. but yet on the other hand, it seems like if it is too simple, I am not excited about it.
Most recently, my friend's bother did the Power 90. I was looking at it and it really piqued my interest. It looks like it would be challenging but could I keep up with it for 90 days.. 3 months? It is a video and in my past experience, I have learned I do not like doing videos. Sooner or later, it gets to be a hassle, a chore and tedious.
With all this thought, I was thinking maybe I would be better off with keeping with what I have been doing. Why change something that isn't broken, right?
So far I have been doing the elliptical, walking from time to time (I still have a LONG walk to keep training for), and run sporadically. I saw today that the campus pool is open again during the noon hour so I am thinking of trying to take advantage of that in the next week and half a few times. Once school starts, I am going to enroll in Zumba at a local technical college and try to treat it as a college class. It might, in the end, transfer back to my degree. That's a plus!
So, what are your thoughts? Should I try to do a program? Or keep with what I have? Do a mix of both?
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
A - Available or married? Neither? I'm single but not really dating.
B - Book? The average romantic smut!
C - Cake or Pie? Chocolate moist cake.. yum!
D - Drink of Choice? Water
E - Essential Item? Chapstick
F - Favorite Color? Pink
G - Game to play or watch? Texas Hold Em Poker
H - Hometown? Ellsworth, WI
I - Indulgence? Shoes, clothes or eating out
J - Job? Student?
K - Kids? Um, no. I have enough on my plate, but thanks!
L - Life is incomplete without? Family and friends!
M - Music group or singer? Anything country
N - Number of siblings? Two sisters
O - Oranges or apples? Oranges - my gums cannot handle the apples
P - Phobias/Fears? Any situation where I can fall and get hurt, disappointing God, and not preparing my future children for the world
Q - Favorite Quote? So many... "People are like stained glass windows: they sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light within."
R - Reason to Smile? I am alive and have a fairly good life.
S - Season? Summer
T - Tattoos? 3 - one flower, dragonfly, and butterfly. They represent rebellion and personal growth. When I have lost all the weight I want and kept it off for one year, I am getting a phoenix!
U - Unknown fact about me? Um, if I tell you, it's not exactly unknown anymore, is it?
V - Vegetables you love? So many.. I don't know.. spinach? Cucumbers? Carrots?
W - Worst habit? Being sarcastic?
X - X-Rays you've had? I have never broken a bone.. so teeth are the only x-rays I have had.
Y - Your favorite food? Fruit.. like strawberries, bing cherries, and mango. I know, shocker!
Z - Zodiac? Aries - are we compatiable?
Monday, August 09, 2010
Last week I went on a seminar, as a team leader, for Leadership in Sustainability. I am not going to lie. There were definitely low and high points.
- On Monday, one of the girls in my cabin blew up at me. She was upset because she couldn't leave camp and it was highly encouraged not to use our cell phones. Later I found out that I went sheet white.
- On Tuesday or Wednesday, it was found out that one of the guys was being very inappropriate and was acting like a peeping tom. Without going into all the details, I am not sure how else to explain it. It was eventually decided he had to be sent home. This was very hard for me. I feel like I met two different people.. one that I liked and one I didn't. It seriously broke my heart and I am still not okay. I really wonder if we may have misperceived some of it. I hope to talk to my counselor about it so I can find peace with it.
- On Thursday, I think it was, three girls started a rumor that another girl and the other team leader which is a guy were doing inappropriate things like sex and stuff. I can honestly say I never care to see those girls again. They don't get how they were mean and why it was like High School.
- Than on Friday, two girls went canoeing and didn't bring a watch. They thought we'd come and get them. *shakes her head* They are adults and can deal. The 38-year-old woman walked in, saw her partner presenting, said something and walked out. In essence, it was not the mature thing to do. Because she did not stay and watch the other presentations, she failed. She has a fit, much like a 5 year old but with expletives. Later on she and one of the instructors screamed at each other in the middle of camp.
-In addition to all that drama, I endured LOTS of complaining about mosquitoes, showers, or anything else they thought they could complain about. The two instructors told me that I earned my Noble Peace award.. hehe.
- I formed lasting friendships with three other people. One of the people I am quite surprised we were able to because we did not like each other when we met each other prior to the seminar.
- I have learned that I can be strong and calm when the situation called for it.
- It is nice to be friends with people that care about me rather than want to use me.
Earlier this morning, I was majorly stressed out! I woke up and had no electricity which means no shower, no breakfast, no internet. In fact, I am at the library chilling. I did run into a friend of mine and he told me that I am really slimming down and this is the second time in like a week I have been told this. I am really wondering if I could be under 190. *Cross her fingers* Time will tell, I guess!
Get An Email Alert Each Time THECRAZYMANGO Posts