Friday, August 28, 2009
GOALS for September and how I plan to achieve themÖ
Goal: Strength train 2x a week.
Plan: I am currently doing it weekly with a trainer, but I am inconsistent with doing it another time a week. I am never going to get anywhere if I donít pick it up a little. I am so bad at motivating myself to do this and not cardio because, while I know itís beneficial and aids weight loss it doesnít provide me that satisfying high calorie burn for the amount of time I have to spend doing it. Strength train on days when I plan to run outside or do a class in the evening. Get up in the morning and do the strength training routine. I am unlikely to skip a cardio workout but much more likely to skip a strength training one if I did that in the evening. Then I will strength train but not feel like I am missing out on cardio for the day because Iíll do it later. I think I am going to invest in Jillian Michaelís No More Trouble Zones.
Goal: Run 8 miles by the end of September.
Plan: Gradually build on weekly long runs by a half mile each week. SoÖ 6.5 by the end of the first week of September, 7 the next and so on. If it looks to be too much mid-month then I will scale back, I donít want to injure myself because I pushed too hard but I need a couple goals that are a BIG DEAL, and not some ďsafeĒ amount, and this is one of them.
Goal: Beat my first 5k time of 32:30 at my 5k on September 12th, the Lung Run.
Plan: Initially my goal was to run this in under a half hour, but in August I worked much more on distance than speed. With my recent toe injury I donít know that Iíll be able to pick it up that much by September 12th. Iím just going to try my hardest and if I am under 30 minutes, thatís awesome but Iím just looking to beat my time. When I get back on track with the running this week Iím going to work on speed as much as I can with a weekly long run and 2 sessions of working to go faster.
Goal: Have my 10k time COMFORTABLY down to 70 minutes or less. This is an 11:30 pace
Plan: I am pretty sure my firs 6 mile run was like a 10:30-11 min mile pace, but I want to be able to do this without my heart feeling like it is going to explode. Basically I want to have this 6 mile run pace be my ďeasy runĒ for the week. I want to focus mainly on speed for the 5k at the first half of September and then once that is over Iíll be focusing more on distance. First 10k October 25th.
Goal: Try yet another new fitness class
Plan: This one is pretty simple. My gyms class schedules change September 1st, so see if thereís anything new that fits into my schedule Iíd like to try out, and try it out. Also check the gym thatís in between my work and home to see if there are any good after work options.
Goal: Try swimming laps.
Plan: Get a speedo or something similar (should be some great clearances this time of year) and some goggles and DO IT.
Goal: Eat more fruits and veggies at work
Plan: I love fruits and veggies, why donít I eat them more? Mainly I eat them at home and for dinner, but I lack at work. We have those v8 drinks (For FREE) that are 3 servings of veggies, so Iíll drink those. I am drinking one RIGHT NOW. Iíll have salad for lunch more or get extra veggies on my sandwiches. We have fruit at work, generally just apples and sometimes they get bananas and oranges. but Iíll eat apples and Iíll start bringing containers of cut up fruit to keep in the fridge.
Goal: Cut back on the diet soda and the coffee
Plan: Yikes I have developed this terrible coffee drinking habit the last couple months. I am going to switch that out for green tea! Diet soda plan is to stick to 1 a day. I usually have one at work for lunchtime. I'm not going to purchase anymore to keep around the house. Eventually I'd like to cut this out entirely but I will start small.
Goal: Do a better job spreading my calories out
Plan: Snacking is great and all and I do awesome at the ďproperĒ snacking techniques during the day. I have a little something before I work out, a little something after, and a little something at work. Then a small snack of likeÖ cottage cheese and an apple early afternoon, then a late lunch of a sammich or something like that. At night thoughÖ I eat a small snack when I get home. Then I have a light dinner around 7 or 8. After that point I usually have a bunch of calories left and even though Iím not hungry I eat granola bars and chips and yogurt and fruit or a bowl of cereal and stuff just cuz I can do it and stay in my range. So Iím going to try to eat a little more at each meal, spread out throughout the day. I am not used to how many calories I can eat because of how much I workout.
Now that weíve got past fitness and nutrition goals, onto the weightloss goal:
GOAL Ė 189 by September 30th.
Plan: Try to meet all my goals and keep working out the same amount/intensity and sticking in my calorie range. If I do all this and I still donít meet my weight loss goal then so be it.
-and ya know, try to work on extinguishing that nasty scale habit and stick to the weekly weigh ins as much as I can stand to do so.
No other real personal life goals I have to work on haha... that might be something I need to work on. Come up with other things to think about and occupy my time besides fitness and my diet.
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
30 lbs by Turkey Day Daily Challenge was to check up on how the August goals are going and figure out what still needs to be accomplished, all that good stuff.
Here's a basic overview of my August goals:
-Get under 200 and hopefully down to 195 by the end of the month.
-Run 6 miles without stopping
-Improve my mile time to a 9min/mile
-Bike the whole lakefront path
-Try a fitness class at the gym
-Do 2 90 minute workouts a week
-Stick to weekly weigh-ins
* Oh I got under 200 August 2nd haha. I mean I was hoping to in July so I figured August for sure. I am at 196 right now, so I will hopefully lose a pound this week like I have been pretty consistently.
* I ran 6 miles on Thursday! It was so hard, I ran with a pace group that went faster than I was used to. It was good for me to push myself. I feel confident about doing the 10k in a couple months, for sure.
* I was going to run a 9 minute mile Sunday. I figured... no problem I can do one at that pace even if it'll make me tired. Then I promptly broke my toe (or at least stubbed it REAL hard, swollen, pretty colors all over) Saturday, so I have not run since my 6 miler on Thursday. This may not be a goal i am able to accomplish in August. I am okay with that though, it was out of my control. It's much more important that I don't make my injury worse than to meet this goal in a rather arbitrary timeline.
* My Dad came to visit this past weekend and he biked the path with me. It was 38 miles total. My butt was more tired than anything. We stopped a few times to admire the view and have some water and chat. It was nice.
* I did 2 fitness classes this month. Cardio kickboxing one time, and I've done spinning twice. I found a new love in spinning! I probably will do it more regularly come winter when I'm not actual biking some of the time. I'd like to a couple times a week.
* I'm not positive if I've done 2 workouts a week thing for that long, but... I kinda feel like "whatever" on this one because I've been burning over 5,000 calories a week. I workout 6 days a week, sometimes more than once a day and I walk to and from work. My workouts are generally about an hour and then any extras probably ad up. I'm workin it, it's all good.
* Weekly weigh ins = FAIL. I am improving though. It's not multiple times a day and obsessively like usual. More like checkin in once or twice extra throughout the week than I should be. So... okay I will not weigh myself this week until my Monday weigh in. I am making strides though, it's all good. It's more curiosity at this point than unhealthy obsession, and getting rid of the latter was really the main idea.
All in all... not bad. I wish I would've been able to have more scale willpower and that I had tried to get that 9 min/mile in before the toe incident but, oh well. I'm losing weight steadily. I am less than 20 pounds from a "healthy" weight at this point so I don't feel that losing much more than a pound a week is reasonable. It used to be 2-3, and yes I miss those days but I'm happy with where I am. I'm hoping to go for about 5 a month from here on out.
Time to start brainstorming for September goals... I'm at a loss for what else to add since I've really got all the major obvious stuff down but there are ALWAYS things to improve on, and I will find them!
Monday, August 24, 2009
Due to the broken toe, I realize I'm not going to be able to be as active as I normally am so I will need to set myself up for the week to ensure I can still be successful.
- Normally I burn at least 5,000 calories a week. I already took a day off yesterday that I normally wouldn't have, and I am not doing my 25 minute walking commute 2x a day on nice days either. I just don't want to overdo it and have the toe swell up too much. Unfortunately this is also 20 extra dollars a week in bus fare. bummer!
- I've adjusted to try to burn 3,000 calories this week. I plan to do the elliptical tonight after work, and maybe TRY to run just one mile to see how it feels, but I will stop if it's too much. My main concern is trying not to run because I'd have a limp. This could cause me to have some knee and hip issues. I should still be able to get some good calorie burn. I am planning to go ahead and do my Wednesday run because it's the very last night of the group, and I don't want to miss out. It's only a 2 mile, not 6 and I plan to tape up good, take it easy and have this be the only run. Call me an idiot if you need to haha, maybe I'll have to reconsider, or maybe it'll be a lot better by Wednesday!
- I'm going to go for some spinning class tomorrow and Thursday mornings! Spin class is about an hour and it is high intensity so these should burn in the neighborhood of 800 calories each day. I think I'll also try out the 30 Day Shred a couple times. The cardio is minimal in this video and that way I can still work on some strength and ab work. I think I will also go for a real bikeride this weekend if it's nice. I meet with my trainer Saturday. Maybe I'll walk to or from work a couple days this week later in the week if it's not feeling too bad.
Any other lower impact cardio ideas? Maybe this week is the week to try out water aerobics!
- So I also am needing to adjust calories for the week. Boo! I'm used to getting to eat as much as 2200 a day so this will be tough. It's now telling me 1560-1910. I took a couple weeks off of nutrition tracking to see if I could just make smart choices and still lose weight. My calorie range was so high I figured I couldn't screw up too bad. None of that this week... I will be tracking calories diligently and staying in my adjusted range. I need to lose a pound this week so I can meet my August weight loss goal! I'm not gonna screw up just because my pinky toe hurts. I can still do plenty of working out and I can watch what I eat better. Perhaps this lower intensity week will do my body some good in general and help push off a plateau a little longer.
Okay so I'm gonna try to be good and not run too much... definitely not gonna do a long run. It's just such a bummer because I FINALLY got up to my 6 mile run and now I'm gonna have to ease back into that over the next couple weeks. At least my 10k isn't until the end of October. And I have a 5k September 12th so I'll have to adjust my expectations for doing that faster because I wont be able to start pushing my speed. The plan was to do that this week... work on improving my shorter run time now that I've built up the distance, and just hold steady at the 6 mile weekly long run, then go back to distance once I finished my 5k. I'll have to see how things go. It's possible it's not broken and just really hurts and is ugly colors and once the swelling goes down it wont be too bad.
- Also once this heals I'm gonna try to start wearing shoes around the house haha. 2 times in 6 months i've kicked a door hard enough to maybe break a toe. Not good! not good!
Gonna lose that pound (and maybe more) this week!! DETERMINED. Wish me luck :)
Get An Email Alert Each Time TEAM-SARAH Posts