Wednesday, October 31, 2007
I was thinking about how color affects me. For some reason, my eyes automatically fall on pink things, esp. when they are a shade of fuchia. I feel warmed, lifted, and comforted by it! I remember back to learning the seasons of color for choosing the clothes I purchase and wear. I was confused about it for awhile until I began to think over my favorite clothes when I was a child - like in elementary school. Wonder what happened to those things? Sure wish I had a few of them right now!
My mom used to respond to my color choices with "Thatīs morbid!" and "Why donīt you wear this instead." I know now that her color scheme was like the opposite of mine, so anything I favoured, she did not prefer. I think that contributed to my sense of not liking what I saw in the mirror - when I wore the chartreuse sweater she picked out for me, I looked sick, ill, like I was probīly gonna vomit any second, get outa my way!!
I loved how I looked in that soft grey dress. I still gravitate towards black, grey, chocolate brown (betcha wouldnītīave guessed that one!), and burgundy. But the splashes of fuchia, turquoise, and silver make my heart skip a beat! When Iīm wearing those colors, my face loses some of the wrinkles, looks softer, and healthy!!! Note to slimming self: As I redo my wardrobe, find more in these colors.
My October Goals were:
~3500 Exercise minutes
~Walk 5X/wk doing 3-5 5Ks and 1-10K
~Do Strength Exercises 3X/wk
~3290 Exercise minutes
~Walked 5-6X/wk doing av. 4.5-5Ks and 1-10K
~Did Strength Exercises av. 4X/wk
Now, for November, I will do:
~3000 Exercise Minutes
~Walk 5X/wk, at least 5K each time & 1-10K/wk w/a 15K sometime
~Strength Exercises 4X week
~At least one other session of another cardio exercise each week
Monday, October 22, 2007
Last November, GODMYFULNESS, who has become a good friend on several Message Boards, started "Signs of Progress other than the scale". She provoked my thinking about how to measure my progress in distinct ways that have encouraged me through many a tough spot on my SparkJourney. Now, I mention some of the things I mentioned there, as well as, some of my recent thoughts in this GBFU blog challenge.
* My Great Dane is not knocking me over anymore! Iīm standing-my-ground!!
* Itīs easier to eat just enough, then push my plate away, listening intently to the stimulating conversation, passing food, and drinking my glass of water. When not chatting, I donīt need to reach for more food and I donīt even think about it at all!! Itīs amazing to me - how I have changed!!
* Often, I get 24 (100%) on the Healthy Lifestyle Scale!! I didnt believe that would ever happen to me!
* Whenever I serve (baby shower, bridal shower, wedding, socials), I get by almost unnoticed as far as eating goes. I eat before I go, then just drink my water and walk around with a half full cup or plate so noone notices Iīm not eating!!! I donīt miss it either!
* One day, in a morning class, we were trying to fit everyone in. I ran around helping to get equipment for the visiting teacher. Others were squeezing chairs in the empty places. We needed to fit in two more chairs, so I asked everyone to scrunch. Well, one woman, who is crippled, couldnt possibly move her own chair. I went over, smiled big, and proceeded to lift her, in her chair, to move her to the left!! The whole class watched and then clapped. Before SparkPeople, I would not īave dreamed of doing that!!
* I was downtown with my daughter shopping. I thought I had plenty of time to get to the mall - walking. Before I knew it, I was running late! Daughter had some other things to do downtown, so I took off, walking quickly, carrying a bag of fabric that must īave weighed at least 20 lbs! I was about 2/3rds of the way there when I paused to have a sip of water. Light went on in head! I have WonderWoman strength!
* Sagging undies. I discovered that I can pull them up to maybe 4 inches above my bellybutton!!! What an amazing feat!
* I can stand on one stair step and touch the bottom of the next step with my fingers. I never did THAT before in my life! I am SO PROUD!!
* I tried again weeks later and can now reach just below the next step for a total of 7 inches below my feet!!
* I am determined to KEEP GOING!
* I choose to eat right even when others are not!
* I no longer feel jipped because I choose to eat differently!
* I have greater stamina!
* I assert myself more often when someone verbally attacks!
* I actually enjoy walking!
* I consistently choose what is good for ME!
* I no more feel winded at slight exercise!
* No more knee pain!
* I still have an occasional desire for reactive eating, but catch myself thinking about it and when I go looking for something, I usually end up choosing NOT TO EAT!
* No more feelings like I am punishing myself by dieting because of overeating and BEING overweight!
* I KNOW Ive chosen a better, healthier way for the rest of my life!
* Its MY choice AND its MY Life!
* MY inner voice has changed to approval of my choices and of the reflection in the mirror!
* In early March, I was able to move my Mothers ring onto the finger it was made to fit!
* I did my first 5K on April Foolīs Day 2007. Now, Iīm walking more than 5K almost EVERY day Mon-Fri!
* Iīve done many 10Kīs and have done a 10K every Sat. of October!
* In April, I began wearing a belt with my jeans for the first time in many years!! It wasnt so much for style as to hold up my pants!
* I donīt bring home bad snack food anymore and NO more cravings!!
* I can now run up the stairs and NOT regret that I did THAT!
* I do exercises nearly every day!
* My posture is improving.
* My attitude in regard to what I can do has changed a great deal!
* Im no longer turning to food to relieve the stress!
* I am no longer down-on-ME for other peopleīs bad choices!
* I no longer react negatively by giving up, giving in, and vegetating!
* I choose to NOT drink sweetened drinks away from home unless I know what sweetener is in it AND its what I prefer.
* I no longer eat because EVERYONE ELSE is eating.
* I ONLY eat what fits in my preplanned, thought-out nutrition plan.
* WHEN I bake anything, I divide in weighed and measured portions, wrap, label, and freeze it.
* I eat my fruits rather than drink them.
* I regularly get at least the minimum of 24 grams of fiber daily.
* I donīt hesitate to do a job cuz I know Iīm up to it!
* When I look down, I can no longer see my stomach!
* No more obsessing about food.
* Water is my first choice drink!
* Empty calorie foods do not satisfy me.
* My clothes are looser fitting. Yay!
So much more I could add! The list keeps growing in SparkTime!
Saturday, October 13, 2007
Thinkinī it over, these things motivate me in my SparkJourney:
1. Taking care of ME! I used to think that in order to be a good person, everyone elseīs needs should come before mine. I put myself last, always. And I was neglected, always. I was having a hard time and unhappy. Life is so much better now that I have given myself permission to take good care of my physical, mental, and spiritual health.
2. Knowing that it is MY choice! I used to believe that I had no choice but to follow the leadership of those for whom I work and live. I was wrong. They went down paths I believe are wrong for me. How liberating it has been to listen to my heart and believe in the process of maturity that has taken place within me. I found out that I can trust the voice within me rather than trying to follow every whim of those around me. It has made a huge difference!
3. My kids are my loving advisors on everything from clothes to management skills and PR! I often imagine them cheering me to push myself just a wee bit harder!!
4. My SparkFriends keep encouraging me along the way. They are my cheerleaders!
5. The Message Boards and the teams to which I belong. What fun weīve had and continue having together!!
6. My SparkPoints that I have worked hard to accumulate. Now, I have read a LOT of positive and negative comments in regard to SparkPoints. I know they wonīt buy me anything, not even prestige! But it is Party-Time-for-One when I make it to a new SparkTrophy!! I lack just over 2000 points to get my next trophy. And THEN, I just need to get 20,000 points to get the top SparkTrophy!!! At my present rate, by October 2008, I will have it!
7. How good I feel! I feel and am stronger, lighter, more determined, wiser, better focused, and bravely pursuing my goals by taking the necessary steps to reach them.
8. Memories of health challenges that no longer plague me! My reality WAS fallen arches making it near impossible to go barefoot (I can now!) or wear high heels (which I havenīt tried yet!), constant pain in my knees esp. on stairs and walking lots (only rarely now), breathing problems (I am asthmatic now only using my inhaler perhaps once or twice a month!), huffing with any exertion (no more!).
9. Trying new recipes that are good for me. I L-O-V-E to cook and always have! Most of my adult life, I have preferred organic and nutrient filled foods; however, I allowed stressful events to affect me in such a way that I began to turn to empty, pretty carbs that gave me a lift. I had to eat them often to keep feeling good. It was BAD and I went over the line into obesity! NOW, I am loving trying new recipes and making old ones good-for-me!
10. My imagination in thinking about what I am capable of doing now! I keep challenging myself to do a little bit more, a little bit longer.
11. Rewards for my efforts and sticking with it! New clothes and other great stuff! Of course, financially we canīt do a lot. However, I have found some fab ways to treat myself to some great new things to honor my commitment to reaching my healthy lifestyle goals. Here are a few: sudoku, online game free limited downloads, used furniture bargains weīve refinished, a long bath, a home facial, occasional manicure, phone a far away friend or our kids, extra time with pets, a silly online quiz, workout clothes, a new DVD.
SparkPeople.com has made my life better all īround!
Tuesday, October 09, 2007
For the spirit of my dorm team -
Here Ya Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey, Blue Mountain Girls, Are you ready?
To eat right, exercise, and win?
Straight to the top! Weīll NEVER stop!
Vic - tor - y wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!
*****GO!! TEAM!! GO!! GIRLS!!*****
Weīre up to the challenge AND glad to be here!
Never give up! Never give in!
Cheering each other
To WIN!! WIN!! WIN!!!
*****GO!! TEAM!! GO!! GIRLS!!*****
Hey, SPARKPEOPLE! Can you hear it?
Can you hear the G-B-F-U spirit?!?!
Blue Mountain Girls will rock
All the way to the top!!!!!
*****GO!! TEAM!! GO!! GIRLS!!*****
Hey! Blue Mountain Girls, are you ready?!
Our time has come!!
Keep pushing hard and steady!! Yeah!!
Letīs show īem how itīs done! Yeah!!!! WOW!!!
*****GO!! G-B-F-U TEAM!! GO!! BLUE MOUNTAIN GIRLS!!*****
Friday, October 05, 2007
Read the following quote this morning and have been thinkinī on it ALL day!
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your
eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford (founder, Ford Motor Company)
Like when I take off my bifocals and try to read, my goals become a blur and frightful obstacles appear if I let myself be distracted by the number on the scale, a moment of weariness, feeling hungry when Iīm not, feeling intimidated by others about my choices, and so on.
Let me tell you about MY scary obstacles!
* Well, DH is no longer among them. Heīs been walking with me, quit buying sodas to bring home, is drinking mainly water now, lets me purchase some things I need and want for healthy living, and is becoming a kindof cheerleader sometimes.
* I used to be obese - no more!!
* I used to have all kinds of cravings - wow! Itīs been awhile since I lost control! Miraculous relief!
* It used to hurt a LOT to exercise - now I sometimes have a few sore muscles, but the stairs are no longer a challenge. AND Iīm breathing easier.
* Oh, really! When Iīm sick or sad, well, THOSE are absolutely obstacles to me. I struggle to jump over the hurdles. And, when DH and I have a disagreement, itīs like the energy drains right outa me onto the ground! I canīt get over those things quickly and usually need a break from everything. Total rest might be nice, but I wonīt let myself have THAT unless an illness makes working too difficult. So, when Iīm sad, sick, or shaken, I try to keep right on going but at a slower pace. Would be nice to have a SparkPerson nearby to call up and meet for a chat face-to-face, or even one of my real life friends.
Wouldnīt it be nice?!
Get An Email Alert Each Time TAZMOMSGOL Posts