Friday, March 02, 2012
I was having a bad day today.....
My daughter came to me during all the morning craziness to say she couldn't find her guppy. He was dead :-( All the water parameters look good (but we are still NOT fully cycled so the fish are always stressed) but we lost a fish... MY fish... my ONLY fish. I was bummed and not happy with having to do water tests and a huge partial water change during the morning routine. I'm still bummed that we lost him. He was beautiful.
Then I had to deal with all the snow on the van. Which had turned to ice underneath. So we could only get the driver's door open... neither slider. I was so cold and wet and frustrated by the time I got DD to school. I turned around, came home, and let the van run for half an hour until I could get all the snow off (even from the top because I HATE when it comes flying off the back or slides down the windshield).
Then I hit the redbox... no movie I wanted to see.... and the sporting good store which now doesn't open until 10.
So I hit the gym. Not Dunkin. Not Starbucks. The gym. Ahhhhhhhh. 30' on the elliptical and I felt better.
Hit the sporting good store but, again, NOTHING I liked in terms of long bras and no capris/bermudas in my size for under $50.
Popped over the the grocery store and decided tomorrow would be appetizer night... baked lamb samosas, baked lowfat crab rangoon, and a low-fat warm spinach dip with raw veggies (baby peppers, carrot chips, pea pods) and nacho chips. Hopefully we can find a good movie tomorrow. Might toss a game or two into the evening.
Decided that a treat would feel REALLY good so I decided to NOT wait for my birthday for new workout clothes (that there's a very good chance noone would get for me anyway because they are 'boring' to people who don't exercise). I've been at the gym almost a year and aside from replacing what got too big I haven't retired any workout clothes. I ordered 3 long bras/tops and 3 coordinating bottoms from Kohl's. Got free shipping and 20% off so it's better than going to the store! They'll arrive for my one year gym-iversary :-)
I'm so glad that when I went to the grocery store I didn't buy ice cream or sweets or fattening stuff... just stuck with the plan to make a spread of healthy appetizers for an at-home date night. The gym clothes are a lot more expensive (in the short run anway) than crappy food but if I get some birthday money they'll be partially paid for and if not... well... I guess I got my March maintenance reward a few weeks early!
Wish I could hotlink pictures to my blog. It's too much work to download them from kohl's and then upload them to sparkpeople.
Thursday, March 01, 2012
February was not the best month for me. It never is and, as one should expect, meeting my weight loss goals didn't magically change my life :-) I met some goals, didn't meet others, and am marching onwards.
1. Finish phase 4 of the female body breakthrough and meet with Dave before the end of the month to discuss a muscle building plan. --- Done. I didn't see a whole lot of change (although I haven't taken measurements in forever so maybe I just don't SEE it) in this last phase. I definitely feel ready for a change and my new workout should be a nice change.
2. Maintain in the 120-124 range (no change). I joined the Springiest Maintainers challenge and my allowed range is slightly wider than this (122 plus or minus 3%). --- Yep. Fairly easily. Never went above or below. Saw a-l-l sorts of numbers in the range though.
3. Add muscle. Don't add fat. (I don't have the numbers right in front of me but I do have numbers for each.) --- Nope. I maintained. Muscle is about the same. Fat is about the same. I just can't seem to find the magic combination of exercise, diet, and supplement to add muscle or shed more fat.
4. Get each kid to prepare at least one healthy dish. --- ABSOLUTELY NOT. With as off as I felt all month I'm just proud of MYSELF for managing to get so many healthy dishes on the table myself.
5. Finish at least one scrapbook layout. --- NOPE. It's all just sitting there on the desk behind me but, again, with as off as I've felt all month I am not surprised and not upset.
6. Go OUT on a date with DH. --- Yes :-) We went out to dinner. We've also done a lot of family dates. I have gotten over my fear of restaurants. One week I think I ate out 5 times. It happened to be the week I was near the top of my range but managed just fine!
I am doing well with my 2012 goals. Half of them feel like established habits now: I am maintaining my BF% under 20. I still working towards 18%. I am maintaining my weight loss. I am logging food and exercise. I am continuing to reward myself for maintaining my weight loss (sparkly shoes and purse this month). I am staying active with sparkpeople and loseit.
I've made progress on 2 other goals. My daughter now works with my trainer 1x a week and needs to do her workout at home 2x a week. I now supervise that, joining in where I can (without overdoing things - her workouts are TOUGH). This fits my goal to exercise with someone in the family regularly. AND I got my navel piercing. I guess that one is permanently checked off!
That leaves 4 goals yet to address or yet to address fully. I need to work more on healthy meal planning and prep with the family and get back on top of the housework. The house isn't in as good a shape as it was at the beginning of February. I am working on it and having my trainer show up to work with my daughter forces me to not let things slide too much! I still haven't opened my knife skills book and I haven't made much time for my hobbies lately.
So... what's up for March? Well, I'm going to keep it simple this month. I want it to end with me feeling a little more accomplished than this month!
1. Maintain below 124.
2. Lower body fat. As we move towards summer and 2 cruise vacations I want to be leaner.
3. Take pictures on the 1 year anniversary of joining the gym. I wish I had taken pictures when I joined but I didn't realize what I was getting myself into!
4. Go out on another date with DH.
Wednesday, February 29, 2012
I met with my trainer today and we talked a bit about goals. I really don't have any except to keep on changing things up as things get too easy and keep on doing the things I like. I suppose that's an odd goal but, aside from tweaking things about my body, that's where I'm at and I am happy with that.
He looked over my workouts for the last few months, we talked about what I liked about them and didn't like about them, what I'd be open to doing. Then he did a bit of TRX work with me to see where I was at in terms of strength, balanced development. He's going to work up a 12-15 component total body workout for me. That gives me the length workout I like, the constant movement from exercise to exercise (to keep my heart rate up), and the challenge I want. He'll work in moves to work on my problem areas as well.
He showed me how to use the foam roller. I can do that at the gym or at home. He'll give me some stretches to do at the gym after I work out.
We talked a bit about nutrition. He agreed that 2000 calories seems reasonable for me so I'll keep my calorie intake up. He thought the 150g of protein recommended by the other trainer was overkill. Good thing because I can do 125-130g (average) but going higher makes me feel like I am shoving protein in my face just to hit some number (not because I'm hungry). He doesn't think that my failure to gain muscle is related to not eating the right foods.
We talked about cardio. I very much want to keep doing cardio because I LIKE it. We talked about what would be best for my goal of gaining muscle, getting leaner legs, working my core. He said I can do 1-2 30' sessions a week but I should be sure to carbo-load - a good dose of carbs no less than 2 hours before the session (the night before for a morning session, in the morning for an evening session). I may be such small glycogen stores that I am digesting away any muscle I add when I do these cardio sessions. I am happy to give this a go. I love pasta as much as the next person and my family will be delighted!
I liked this session a LOT. Before I did The Female Body Breakthrough I felt like my sessions were instructive but not necessarily necessary in conjunction with the book. After wrapping up the book I felt like I needed 'more' and didn't really see how just picking another book (The New Rules of Lifting for Women) or a workout program for my ipod was going to step things up sufficiently. I think a personalized total body workout will do that very well!
Get An Email Alert Each Time TANYAP71 Posts