Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Just as I was about to pronounce holiday recovery complete DH and I got hit by a stomach bug that is ripping through our town. My little gift from volunteering in the schools so many hours last week, I assume. Ugh.
1. It's important to feed your body when sick but you'll pay for it. I had the WORST carb binge of my life this weekend. I got my calories in, oh yes I did, because I did not want to digest any muscle as fuel! I think I was at 89% carbs on Saturday and 72% carbs on Sunday and those were NOT complex carbs... not with a stomach bug! My weight dipped a bit Saturday (the day I was sickest, barely got out of bed, ate my BMR but not much more) and rocketed skyward by 2.2 pounds Sunday as I began to really push fluids and ate 400 calories over budget. Really, I felt cheated. I got a stomach bug and GAINED weight? Really, seriously? WTH?
2. Carb calories, especially soda calories, add up FAST! I was astonished at how many calories I consumed on Saturday and Sunday given that I felt like I 'barely ate anything'. I was 400 calories over on Sunday and I really felt like I hadn't eaten 'that much'! But I was drinking regular coke (it helps my stomach... I hate it when I'm feeling normal... I think it's an emotional thing since it's what my mom gave us for upset tummies) and eating refined carbs. Those things are NOT as filling as protein and veggies! Now I see how I felt so full when I started eating clean but eating fewer calories.
3. Recovery from the carb-athon is apparently very fast. Yesterday I returned to 'clean eating' and those pounds came off in one day. It was actually pretty amazing to see that happen so quickly so I'm a tad concerned that there's even more water in my body and that I did truly lose weight while sick (and therefore probably some muscle).
4. The BRAT diet may not be very good for people who normally eat clean. I tried it and, OMG, it did what it was supposed to do to the EXTREME and I will NOT be doing that again! I was going to lay off the coffee for a few days because of my stomach and I had my coffee yesterday just to undo what the BRAT diet had done.
5. My muscles are SHOT and I don't know when they will recover. Friday I did an intense workout. It was great. I felt so strong. I dead lifted 100 pounds a dozen times a set for 3 sets. Pffft. Saturday I couldn't lift my ipad without shaking. Sunday was only a bit better. Yesterday I broke out in a cold sweat walking slowly on the treadmill (at home! I don't want to spread this) and found carrying several hard cover books while straightening my son's room 'heavy' lifting.
6..... to be continued if more interesting developments occur as I recover. Right now the plan is to do cardio on my treadmill until I don't break out in a cold sweat on it and to test out my strength using my weights here at home (which aren't nearly as heavy as I use at the gym). My fingers are crossed that I'll feel up to my centergy class on Thursday. It's the workout I look most forward to all week and I will really miss it if I have to skip it.
I hope all of you are staying healthy in the new year! This is my first illness since joining the gym in March and my first unplanned extended break from the gym. It's an exercise in learning to go with the flow and maintain APPROPRIATE healthy habits in a quest to life the HEALTHIEST life possible. Old me would have given up altogether, stopped exercising altogether, and the weight would have piled on. Old old me would have not eaten Saturday, saw a drop in weight Sunday morning, thought 'Woo-hoo, I lost weight, let's do it AGAIN!' and not eaten Sunday and then worked hard to keep any weight I lost while sick off. This me - the healthy me - is all new... and a work in progress :-)