Tuesday, May 17, 2011
1. Why did you sign up for EPIC this leg? I was new to the team and I wanted to get involved and meet my teammates! Plus, anything that was going to hold me accountable for my actions was a definite plus.
2. How has EPIC helped you thus far? EPIC encourages me to work out on those days that I can't encourage myself. I am extremely competitive so I strive to get my full 7 points each week.
3. If you could change something about EPIC, what would it be (don't worry, my feelings won't be hurt and I want EVERYONE to be happy-- ideas are welcome)? This is really my first experience with EPIC so I can't really say I'd change anything. I like the system how it is, but if I think of anything I'll be sure to let you know!
4. Have you really dedicated yourself to this challenge, or have you been coasting by? (I want you to really dig down into the heart of this question and really examine your past couple of weeks) I have definitely dedicated myself to this challenge. It's my first team challenge and I didn't want to let myself or the team down. The whole point is to use it as another tool to help us reach our goals, so why anyone wouldn't give it all they've got is besides me.
5. How should we shake the challenge up in the next leg? Maybe there should be a subtraction in points for those who sign up and then don't participate like they should. This challenge is completely voluntary, so why sign up if you're not going to do it? I understand things happen, but communication is key! Instead of two large teams, what about a few smaller teams? Just thinking out oud....
6. What Improvement challenge would you like to see in the future? It will have to be something general since we're all at different fitness levels. Since we all have our different workouts that we do, we could start challenging ourselves to push harder. If you normally do 30 minutes of cardio, try increasing to 40 min this week, you normally walk a mile, try walking a mile and a half, etc. Sometimes we put limitations on ourselves without realizing we're doing it. If you know you have to keep moving forward, it keeps your motivation up!
Monday, May 16, 2011
The weekends are quickly becoming my downfall! It seems by the time Saturday and Sunday come around I'm really tired of tracking and counting calories, but mainly it is being out and about. During the week I follow the same schedule everyday. I get up at the same time, eat breakfast, workout, have free time, eat lunch, workout, have free time, cook dinner....and the cycle repeats. I try to follow that same schedule on the weekends, but something always happens to throw a wrench in my plans.. Don't get me wrong, that's part of what I love about the carefree days of summer and I wouldn't trade my trip to Bubba's Big Deck (who doesn't love a good biker bar on the river with live music?) and Lone Star Float House and Grill yesterday for anything, but I can't seem to figure out how to fit the weekends into my new healthy lifestyle. It's so frustrating to feel like my whole week of hard work has been flushed down the drain. But I want to still be able to enjoy life with friends and family. If that means drinking beer while blues plays in the background and kids are splashing in the river, then I'll just have to figure out how to make it all work for me.
On a side note, does everyone love the changes Spark made to the food tracker? It is SO MUCH EASIER to add food, whether you're searching for it or adding it from favorties. Now you can add multiple items at once! Finally!
Saturday, May 14, 2011
So I've been staying away from fast food since I joined Spark because I just didn't trust myself to choose the healthy menu items over my fatty favorites. I knew that eventually I wouldn't be able to avoid it and I hoped I was prepared to make the right decisions. I got my chance twice this week to see how I'd hold up under pressure.
Round 1 - Taco Bell (my FAVORITE and worst enemy)
I got the grilled chicken soft taco off their Fresco menu which I was pretty pleased with. It was tasty and the tortilla even seemed thinner than the regular ones they use. I ignored the beef supreme chalupa and nachos bel grande calling my name!
Round 2 - Chik -fil-a
I got the grilled chicken sandwich on a wheat bun and allowed myself to "splurge" a little and get the waffle fries. Again, it was pretty tasty and I was very satisfied since they don't skimp on the chicken! No fried chicken sandwich or nuggets for me. I was a little torn, but I stuck to my guns and was happy I did.
I stayed in calorie range for both days, so I'm pretty pleased with myself. Will I be able to make those same decisions every time? I don't know. What I do know is that doing it the first time was the hard part. Now I've done it and I know I can do it again. I kind of had an "aha" moment because I asked myself: Is 10 minutes of pleasure worth all the guilt I'll feel afterwards if I don't make a healthy choice? No! I don't think I ever realized how much guilt I was carrying around with me always eating fatty, unhealthy food. I always had an excuse why it was ok. I needed to celebrate, I needed to make myself feel better, I'll do better next time, I'm starting a diet next week.... After years of those silly excuses, enough is enough. I just can't allow myself to continue destroying my body. It's the only one I have and with so much life in front of me I need to start taking care of it.
Have a great weekend guys! Get out there and enjoy this beautiful day!
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
So my new workout schedule started today! Cardio workout 1 of 2 complete! I can't physically do a straight 60 minute workout right now (and really give it my all) so I'm breaking them up into 30 minute sets. I was already kinda trying to talk myself out of two workouts as soon as I woke up this morning. Does anyone else have that problem? As soon as I start working out I feel great and I'm so proud of myself for doing it, so why is it such a struggle?
I got a special treat today when I noticed that I wasn't struggling quite as much with my push ups, I was able to keep going a little further w/out having to take a break, and I wasn't thinking about how much time I had left! I just kept thinking, "You're doing it! No more jiggle, no more getting winded walking up stairs, no more worrying about how uncomfortable I'll be sitting in desks at school, etc."
Now I have to keep up that energy and enthusiasm for workout 2 of 2 later this afternoon. Anyone, have any motivational ideas that might help? I posted signs on my bathroom mirror, pantry door, and fridge, which helps with non-hunger eating. But I haven't really found anything to motivate me to work out besides knowing that I have to and that I don't want to let my EPIC teammates down. The wifey is great, always encouraging me to keep going, not to give up, and give myself time to see changes, but it's almost not enough. I don't know, I just feel like I'm always sabotaging my own success. I don't work, so I have all summer to really devote to working out, eating right, and establishing good, strong habits before school starts again in August. Why is it such a struggle to take advantage of this opportunity? 60 minutes, 4 days a week....come on! I can do this. I just need to stop feeling so lazy!
Spark on my friends! Let your light shine brighter than the brightest star!
Tuesday, May 10, 2011
SO I decided to re-vamp my workout plan today. I need to take advantage of how much free time I have and increase my cardio to 60 minutes a day. Also I decided to start doing strength training 3 days a week using some resistance bands that I forgot I had!
I made cesar dressing yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how well it came out. I want to try making it again when I can make the real version with anchovies and all. Going to try my hand at spicing up brown rice tonight for dinner. I'm a little scared it might come out cardboard-ish, but I have a plan!
I should have down cardio on Monday, but I was having a lazy day so I feel guilty, but I'm fully prepared to make up for it tomorrow! I hope everyone is having a great week! WE CAN DO IT!
Get An Email Alert Each Time TAMARA6905 Posts