Thursday, March 04, 2010
You have been on the spark journey for a long time now and you have fallen off track many times. Enough is a enough! You want to be healthy, happy, and strong. You know what you need to do and you know what it takes to make it to your goals. But, when you have become really depressed or overwhelmed with life, you have forgotten. So let me remind you why you joined spark people:
1. TO BECOME HEALTHY: Yes, your original goal was merely to lose 70lbs, but its more than losing weight. You want to become healthy. You want to lose weight, gain muscle, flexibility, and a healthier lifestyle. Losing weight should make it so that you can stop taking medication for headaches and so you will stop coming down with major illnesses every month or so. Your back, legs, and feet will stop aching once you lose weight and gain strength. You want to have energy, vitality, and fun!
2. TO ENJOY LIFE: While overweight, you are not enjoying your life. You hide in the shadows in public events and do everything you can to keep people from looking at you. You avoid public events or seeing old friends and family because you do not want to see people who could comment upon your weight gain. You cant do most of the activities that you used to love--like hiking, biking, motorcycling, kayaking, swimming, snowshoing, or just walking! You are not enjoying life and you are too young not to!
3. TO HAVE MORE CONFIDENCE: I know you think that if you lose weight you will magically have confidence. Time has taught us that nothing magically happens, but you know you will gain confidence with weight gain. Not so much because you will suddenly be thin and beautiful--you will gain confidence because you have achieved something for yourself that you have so badly wanted. If you can achieve your weight and health goals then you know you can do anything! Plus, when you are physically strong you will feel mentally strong! Nothing will get in your way!
4. TO ENJOY CLOTHES: Lets face it: tomboy that you are, you still enjoy buying new clothes, wearing something sexy, or merely feeling pretty and feminine. You are not feeling that way now. You hide in your oversized clothing and pull every bit of clothing away from your skin when it clings too tightly. You gaze longingly at the clothing in your closet that used to fit and used to be used as an expression of your personality. You want that back! And you have to follow your weight loss goals and health goals to get there!
5. TO ENJOY YOUR HUSBAND: When you met your husband, you were healthy, energetic, and happy. You were active and made sure that you had fun. You are not that way now, as you have let your poor health and weight gain stand in the way of having fun and being active. You want to enjoy your husband again. You want to go on adventures and just feel like a sexy wife.
6. TO START A FAMILY: You want to have children, as afraid as you are about doing so. But you know that you have to be a physically and mentally healthy mother before you will even consider getting pregnant. You know that being overweight increases pregnancy risks (including gestational diabetes) and that losing weight after pregnancy will be much more difficult if you are already overweight to begin with. Plus, your chances of having post-partum depression increase if you are overweight. You need to get healthy and strong so you can bring new life into this world.
You know what your goals are. You know what you want. Now you have to take the steps to get there. You know what doesnt work. You are an emotional eater, a binge eater. You are not addressing your emotions or the problems in your life. Instead, and especially when you are overwhelmed, you try to hide your emotions and frustrations with food. This isn't helping you. It makes you feel worse. You know you cannot have temptation food in the house because you lack the strength and willpower (at least now) to avoid those foods. You also struggle with depression, and even though you know the best thing for depression is to exercise, you don't do it.
Now is the time to change! And this is how you are going to do it:
1. Follow the basics: drink your water, eat your fruits and vegetables, stay within your calorie range, track your food, and exercise. The basic baby steps will bring success!
2. Stop the fried food. It makes you physically sick each time you eat it (that's why you're having chest pains). While you're at it--stop the Starbucks. Thats too many liquid calories and its draining your bank account.
3. Wake up in the morning! You know you're pulling yourself out of bed, barely dressing yourself, and sneaking into work 5 minutes late. Wake up early. Do a Yoga or pilates video. Then take your time, eat your breakfast, and go into work--on time!
4. Exercise! You have a gym membership. Use it! Make it a habit. You have to drive by the gym to get to and from work. Use it!
5. Watch your snacking...measure, measure, measure. And remember, snacking is not a hobby or a pastime or something to do when you are bored!
6. Make YOU time. Dont wait until you are "thin" to do your hair, your nails, your makeup, or just to shave your legs. NOW is the time. You derserve it now and you will feel better about yourself if you do it. And feeling better about yourself means you'll take care of yourself through diet and exercise and then feel even better about yourself. (See where I am going?)
7. Stay away from negative people! This one is important.
8. Take care of yourself mentally and emotionally. Talk with old friends--dont ignore their emails or let their messages go into voicemail. Text message isnt real communication. Read some good books. Walk in the woods. Play with your cat. See your counselor. Play.
9. Make your schedule around activity and fun--and dont make your schedule dependent upon the tv schedule, eating, or laying around on the couch.
10. Work is not your life. This one is important. Dont work more than 10 hours a day and no more than 1 weekend a month at the office. On your death bed you will never be stating that you wished you had spent more time at work. Spend more time at life!
You can do this. I am proud of you. I am supporting you. Keep your goals in mind, the reasons why you are making life choices, and the steps you need to take to get there. You will reach your goals.
P.S. Enjoy the ride. You will learn so much along the way.
Thursday, February 04, 2010
So I started seeing a Chiropractor to help heal my feet and back so I can really start exercising again. It has been helping a lot! I now have orthodics for my feet and I am able to walk again (without a very sexy gimp!) I am still working the kinks out of my back but I am getting better every day. I worked out one day this week on the treadmill and bike (yes!!!) without severe pain and I am going again tonite. With my treatments, I tend to get really sore and have to go home and ice afterwards, so I cant work after a treatment. I need a day of rest.
Baby steps, right? I may have fallen off but I am back and doing the little things to take care of me!
How are y'all?
Thursday, January 21, 2010
This has occurred to me over the past few days, especially as I have been battling a cold and have been trying to get my health back on track. (Lots of Flu bugs going around!)
I have not been making any time for me over the past few months. I work 12-13 hour days just to come home to cook and clean and go to bed and start it all over again. I do nothing for me and I am constantly stressing and thinking about work and feeling totally inadequate in that arena. (Unfortunately, I know have one of those PDA devices so I am ALWAYS attached to my job. I get very excited when I am out of the service area!)
This has to stop. I was doing so good there for a very long time. Taking care of myself, eating right, working out, balancing life and work. Enough is enough!
Get An Email Alert Each Time STRONGMELISSA24 Posts