Thursday, April 28, 2011
For those of you NOT barraged 2 weeks ago by my huddle annoucements on every single team I belong to, I have
Actually, as of my initial and official “100 pounds down” weigh-in, I lost 101.4 lbs. That’s 39.3% of my highest weight.
I can’t put into words all ways in which I’ve changed. There are the inscrutable nuances, the subtle shifts, and the hit-you-over-the-head/ flashing-neon-sign transformations. Here are some highlights:
I went from hating/dreading/putting off exercise to loving it and getting ûber-cranky when I can’t work out as often/long/hard as I’d like.
I used to say that the only way I’d ever run is if I was being chased by someone with a knife—and believe me, I meant it. Last summer I graduated from the C25K program and ran a 5K. I’ve improved my speeds, I’ve run further than I ever thought I could, I've started looking at places through a runner's eyes (i.e. "omg, this is so beautiful! It's PERFECT for running!!!)……And I’ve loved it.
I grew muscles. Visible ones.
I decreased my body fat percentage by 15%.
I made over my taste buds. Oh, I still love sweets (do I EVER!)—but who knew, for example, that I’d learn to LOVE broccoli? I remember puking it onto my dinner plate as a kid. hahaha TMI
I genuinely started caring about the nutritional value of food—not just for weight loss but for what it could offer my body.
I lost inches:
Right Wrist: 1
Right Tricep: 5.25
Right Upper Thigh: 6
TOTAL (by doubling wrist, arms, & leg losses): 68.25!
And let’s not forget the glaringly apparent change in appearance.
(Btw, I’m wearing the same pants and sports bra in all the pics. It's also taking a lot of balls for me to post the before pics, so please be kind.)
Friday, April 22, 2011
^!^ B2W MISSION 18! ^!^
1. TELL ME WHAT BIG THINGS YOU ACHIEVED THIS PAST WEEKEND!
- I managed to hit the gym Friday, even with all my busy packing and preparations for going out of town.
- I got in my 8 cups on water Saturday, even with being stuck in the car for over 9 hours.
- I did ab work for the first time in ages on Sunday.
- I painted a room on Sunday.
- I took an hour-long leisurely walk on Sunday just cuz.
2. THIS WEEK- It's all about staying organized! Sometimes when we really get going with our fitness efforts, some of the important things along the way get shifted aside. So this week- it't time to catch up on all those things that, if left ignored, will come back to bite your hiney!
Play catch up this week with things like:
- I so would have loved to do this but I've been out of town and couldn't. I've been visiting my brother this week and have, however, reorganized his mess of a fridge and helped paint and decorate his house and reorganized.
3. TAKE A REST DAY if your weekend made you sore. Seriously. All you can do on a rest day is go for a walk and/or stretch- donï¿½t hit the gym if you ran a half marathon last night.
- Saturday and Sunday were my rest days last week. My workouts were thrown out of whack this week by being out-of-town (and having a holiday [i.e. lotsa unhealthy FOOD] coming up]; I worked out every day this week and actually tacked on extra non-cardio walks.
4. Give me at least two days this week where you thought you were going to be too busy to workout- but found a way to squeeze in 20 minutes.. somehow.
- Time wasn't a huge issue for me this week;logistics was. I really had to confront my all-or-nothing thinking this week when I realized there was absolutely no way I was going to get 5 hour-long cardio sessions in. Between the cable cutting out intermittently, issues w/ On Demand workouts (either too short/not intense enough to get me into the aerobic zone/too high-impact for my knees), knee pain preventing me from daily long runs outside, and the inability to walk fast enough (about 4.5-5 mph) to keep my HR in the aerobic zone, I had to adapt. I also had to work around renovations in the house and not necessarily knowing how or when I was going to work out--that usually gets me really nasty and stressed, but I did a lot better keeping my cool than usual.
Wednesday, April 20, 2011
I'm late in reporting, but this is my first time online since since Friday night.
*!* Balls 2 the Wall Mission 17! *!*
Look how far we have come!!!! Mission 17!? Only TWO WEEKS of the challenge are left!!
So this weekend, let's go for reallllllly enthusiastic. I mean really, seriously EXCITED to exercise.
Your mission this weekend is simple. On Monday I want you to report in on one of these things:
A. Total cardio calories burned. (Make it a BIG number)
- 499 [Sat & Sun were my days off]
B. Total fitness minutes reached. (Make it a BIG number)
- About 80 mins (incl. cardio, stretching, & ab work)
C. List of new Personal Records in things like pushups, situps, pull ups, run times, etc.
D. A list of wonderful happy active things that you participated in.
1. Plank: 2 mins 10 secs
2. Crunches: 60!
Friday: 1 hour Zumba class + stretching
Sunday: 15 mins core work, 1 hour leisurely walk outside, & painted a room
Drink your water, eat beautifully, smile and report in on your Missions on Monday.
- I ate ok on Friday and Saturday and pretty great on Sunday. I managed to get 8 cups of water in on Saturday despite being in the car for 9+ hrs (and drank 5 glasses Fri & 7 ½ Sun). I did some smiling.
Monday, April 11, 2011
~^!^~ B2W MISSION 15!! ~^!^~
How did you do with your B2W challenge to amp it up this past week??
- I didn’t kick it into overdrive liked I’d planned/hoped to.
It's April!!! Spring is springing in *most* places by now and it's time to breathe in that sweet smell of spring cleaning and fresh starts.
Step One: Forgive yourself for anything less than stellar you have done as of late.
Step Two: Pick a spot in your house that has obviously got winter depression written all over it, and spruce it up/clean it out/open the windows/wipe it down/wash it/dust it- whatever needs doing to it to get rid of that heavy grey winter neglect.
- Done—What a great assignment for me! Dusted, windexed, and de-cluttered my bedroom. Still gotta vacuum; I think I’ll organize and redecorate a bit, too. My room needs a ~massive~ overhaul to get rid of the winter depression!
Step Three: Get Enthusiastic! Losing weight and getting healthy should be a joyful journey- not one filled with self-hatred and disappointment. Find something you would kinda like to do- and build it up into something you CAN'T WAIT to do. Use your mind to motivate yourself.
-Done! Instead of thinking “Oh man, I have to ST [to hit my weekly quota, because of B2W, etc]”, I convinced myself how much I missed ST when I didn’t get all my sessions in. I reminded myself that I ~wanted~ DOMS; I focused on strengthening my legs to heal my knees; I got excited about pushing my muscles to exhaustion, seeing just how much weight I was capable of lifting, and feeling hardcore.
Step Four: Fuel yourself wisely. Use this weekend to prove to yourself that you know how to use food.
Went grocery shopping and loaded up on...
My fav cereal:
(fyi: I took this pic after the mango was ¾ of the way demolished. It looks in such a sad state here. LOL)
(Already ate some lettuce & turmaters, too. nomnomnom)
Lots of snacks:
(for trail mix)
Step Five: SHINE. Go out there and get sweaty and stinky and disgusting and shine with uncontainable pride in yourself.
Friday: 65 mins cardio (Zumba + elliptical) + 20 mins stretching + upper body ST
Saturday: 54 mins cardio (kickboxing) + 20 mins stretching + lower body ST
Sunday: rest day
Get An Email Alert Each Time STARDUSTD Posts