I am going to try some "low key" blogs to get going again! In the past two months I have been out of town 5 times: weddings, conferences and yes, even a real vacation! Above are a few pics from our recent trip to the Keys. Nothing too mind blowing or even inspirational today (sorry sparks)....I have been traveling too much, not exercising enough and in general losing a tiny bit of ground. But I am also here right now, working my way back.
So thanks for hanging in there with me....if I can just get over the 1 month hump, you may get more inspirational tales!
Off to Chicago tomorrow - exercise shoes packed!
Love ya all
Hollynn aka SpunkyDucky
I am loving this early spring! If you saw my last blog you know that my good friend and I hit the bike trails last week despite my fears of being out of shape. Since then I have hit the roads several more times with just over 100 miles under my pedals. On other days I have hit the elliptical, stationary bike or walked. I want to say the scale "rewarded me" today with 5 lbs...but the truth is, the reward came every day of the last 11 days.
1. Time with friends biking
2. Increased exercise capacity
3. Sunshine and freckles
4. Better motivation to stay on track
5. The satisfaction of getting up a freaking big hill (thought I was going to die but I didn't)
6. A smaller waist
7. Looser pants
8. Overall improved feeling of health.
Yes, 5 lbs is great (and exciting) but when I first started on the Spark my reason for losing weight was to be able to do whatever I wanted, to live without restrictions imposed by weight, and that includes all of the other "rewards" on the list!
Every positive step you take changes your path
Here are 10 reasons I almost didn't go for a ride with my good friend Nicole yesterday
1. I am out of shape
2. I used to be in shape
3. She is in really good shape
4. I was likely to make a lot of "huffing" sounds
5. She is actually a REAL athlete (not just me pretending to me one) i.e. she races hardcore
6. She might laugh at me
7. She might not have fun
8. There might be REALLY large hills
9. It requires wearing tight slinky cycling clothes
10. I might not be able to go very far
However, I decided to go anyway. Because, every positive step I make leads me closer to my goals. Here is what actually happened:
1. She was delighted I said yes (she was sure I would not go)
2. She modified her cycling so that I could lead
3. She talked and amused me so much I didn't mind my loud breathing
4. She took me to a place I have never been and it was lovely
5. I relaxed and enjoyed the ride
6. She showed me some techniques for getting some speed
7. She had a good time
8. I had a great time
9. I was in both better spirit and better shape than when I got up that morning
10. We went again today
What is your spark this week?
Mine was getting on a pair of skis and carving down the mountain.
And then I did it again 3 more days this week
Interesting things to note:
1. I was happier than usual
2. I felt like an athlete flying down the mountain
3. I didn't care that I sweated through my clothes or had a HR of 160 - I just felt good!
4. I exercised 3-6 hours a day and guess what I didn't do much of....eating
5 I didn't care that I don't look like a cute snow bunny, I care that I was out there doing it
Two winters ago when I lost a LOT of weight I did it in part by skiing my heart out After my husband's skiing accident and subsequent surgery last year, I did not ski as much. This year, I am in full force. I intend to ride this wave to the end (or at least until the snow melts). I would love to hear what sparked you this week. What got you going???
Baby steps people. Life is all a series of small steps, make them positive ones!
So as winter settles in, here are some thoughts on cold winter days:
1. If penguins like it, it can't be too bad
2. Snow falling is one of nature's most beautiful things
3. Every snowflake, like each one of us is individual, and beautiful
4. There are just as many winter sports as summer sports
5. Children love winter, snow and don't mind the cold
6. It is never too cold, you just aren't wearing enough warm layers
7. In a word....SKIING!
8. Winter makes us appreciate spring
9. Hot chocolate is not as inviting in July
10. It is 3-4 months of the year - make sure you enjoy it while it is here!