Saturday, February 05, 2011
This is how I often feel about logging calories...guilty
One of my biggest hangups on the Spark has always been inconsistent calorie logging.
I always log breakfast. Why? Because I (am boring) and eat the same thing for breakfast every day. 1 cup of Kelloggs Raisin Bran Crunch, 1/2 cup of soy milk and 1/2 cup of fruit (usually blackberries, sometimes strawberries). Total ~275 calories
After logging, I pat myself on the back and think: today is going to be a good day.
Then comes lunch. Have I ever mentioned my husband packs my lunches? Turkey sandwich, chicken vindaloo, veggies and/or fruit. Pretty painless to log.
Then....comes evening. On a "good day" after dinner I behave (ie don't snack for hours) and log my calories...On a bad day - I have a snack-a-palooza. A rice cake, hmmm....no not what I was "hungry" for, maybe some crackers, nope...maybe I want a few M &Ms (always starts with 10)...all the sudden I don't want to log anymore....so I don't
(I always thought M & Ms were the reason I didn't log calories, the truth is that guilt is what got in my way)
This week, one of my goals was HONEST logging. I actually did it (everything that went into my mouth got logged) and interestingly (despite 2 days over 2000 calories)...I STILL LOST WEIGHT. Even more interesting, I didn't feel as guilty about what I ate once I logged it. I felt honest. I felt accountable and you know what, it felt pretty good!
I have always been afraid that logging my "bad days"would make me feel worse, more guilty (if that is possible). What an a-ha moment to realize it actually did the opposite!!
Pretty eye opening for me.
Any of you have this experience?
Tuesday, February 01, 2011
Beating the Winter Blues
1. GO OUTSIDE. Yes I am serious. It isn't THAT cold. Buy some long underwear, layer, do whatever it takes, but GET OUTSIDE. There is sun out there somewhere
2. Exercise - only have 10 minutes of spare time - get it done! Have longer to exercise - consider yourself lucky!
3. Eat when you are hungry: like many people I will use any excuse to eat: I don't feel good (eat), I am stressed out from work (eat)...it is cold outside (STOP -DON'T do IT!!!) Remember food is only fuel
4. Ignite your Spark buddies - We are all in the same boat (except those of you who are lucky enough to live in Cali or Florida) it is cold, dark and somewhat depressing at times in winter. Now is a great time to reconnect with Sparkies for the support you (and they) need!
5. Warm up with a cup of tea. Preferably cinnamon spice, but any kind you like is fine
Hang in there Sparkies...winter is halfway over!
Sunday, January 30, 2011
This is mostly for me. I have been struggling with consistency recently (ironic, as usually this is my strength). I want to post some obtainable goals to help keep me accountable this week. So here goes:
1. Exercise every day, at least 30 minutes
2. Track all calories...especially the chocolate ones (for some reason I REALLY struggle with this...denial much??)
3. Log into Spark daily, support my teammates and friends
4. Forgive myself for not being perfect
5. Stay off the scale.
I will let you all know how I do...
It looks easy right? Lol!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SPUNKYDUCKY Posts