Friday, February 19, 2010
One of my arch-enemies in life has always been running.
In high school I played varsity volleyball and basketball, and running laps around the court was something I literally dreaded. I have been married for almost 15 years and my husband is a "natural" runner. In college we used to run around the NYC reservoir (let's be honest, I only did it to spend time with him, ie we were still dating and I was trying to impress him)...Since then, not too much running.
When I started this journey nearly 7 months ago, just walking on the treadmill was hard. I tried various "weight loss" pre-set programs on my treadmill and found out I couldn't do them yet. So I set it to 3.0 and plugged away. Eventually I got up to bursts of 4.0 and even 1-2 minutes of joggging here and there. Then about 2 months ago my treadmill broke (arrrgghhh!) and finding the right spare part took forever to replace. So I just kept working out on other equipment until it was fixed this week.
Today, I got up early to get in my exercise before work (for those of you who don't know me -"early" is anytime before 9am. I didn't have to work until noon). LOL! Anyway I got on the treadmill and found myself wondering if I could run for 2 minutes still. I got engrossed in the movie we were watching and then looked down...What? 5.5 minutes? Seriously??? So I finished out that minute and walked for a few minutes. Then I did it again - harder to get to the 6 minute marker the second time, and even more so the third. But I DID it! I didn't do it fast, or with any particular grace, but today was the first time I believed that I could run since I was in college.
To anyone out there who thinks they CAN'T do it - just keep working at what you CAN do. The human body will sometimes surprise you, even when you don't expect it.
Get out there and get it done!
Saturday, February 13, 2010
When I began this journey 200 days ago, exercise was a way of reminding myself every day that I could do something positive for myself. It was my way of proving I could "stick with it." I logged every day's cardio in my journal and as the weeks passed I had a growing sense of accomplishment. Even when I had been thin before, I had never exercised every day. 30 days passed, then 60 and suddenly when I hit one hundred days, I was overcome with happiness. And other people were inspired, leading to a feeling of hope for helping others. I started the 100 Day Challenge team, which now has over 80 members trying to prioritize exercise in their lives. Everyone has different goals but it has been truly amazing to watch others reach the same goal: staying true to themselves.
So what did I accomplish in the second 100 days of my journey?
Stationary bike: 32.7 hours
Treadmill: 2.8 hours (it broke and took nearly 2 months to get fixed!)
Stair stepper: 6 hours
Cycling: 4.5 hours
Walking outside: 30.5 hours
Elliptical 29.6 hours
Circuit training: 7.7 hours
Yoga 3.8 hours
Snow shovelling: 3.3 hours
Snowshoeing 5.6 hours
Cross country ski: 8 hours
Downhill ski: 11 hours
TOTAL: 156 hours
My resting heart rate is 60
I can do the things I want to do: ski, dance, yoga
I feel fit...I don't feel thin yet, but wow, feeling fit is an amazing feeling
So now I am onto my 3rd 100 days. Can't wait to see what days 201-300 will bring!
Can I make it for a year? I think so...I really do
Below are some pics along the way...
Anyone wishing to see my blog on days 1-100, here is the link to paste in your browser:
This is me July 25, 2009 ~286 lbs
Picture of me November 1, 2009 after 100 days of exercise ~ 246 lbs
This is me Feb 9, 2010 after 200 days of exercise ~214 lbs
I like that you can see the seasons in these photos: Summer, Fall, Winter...
Can't wait to see Spring!
Sunday, February 07, 2010
I really got a kick out of the "ABCs of Me" messages last week but never got around to posting mine - then I saw this today and decided to do this one. Hope you enjoy getting to know me better!
If you are reading this, you have the honor of copying all these goofy questions and writing your own responses! paste these instructions in the body of your blog.
1. What time did you get up this morning? 10:30 - worked until 1am last night in the Emergency Department so enjoyed sleeping in a bit
2. How do you like your steak? on someone else's plate (but on the rare occasion that I eat one, rare).
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? The Lovely Bones, which unlike the critics, I actually liked, because visually it was stunning.
4. What is your favorite TV show? All time favorite is Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I am somewhat of a fanatic. Now watch Supernatural, Biggest Loser, Lost and Grey's Anatomy
5. If you could live anywhere in the world where would it be? I love it where I am actually...West Virginia is a hidden heaven.
6. What did you have for breakfast? Oatmeal with blueberries and a small apple
7. What is your favorite cuisine? Indian
8. What foods do you dislike? Brussel sprouts, cliched but true. Not a fan of red meat. I like veggies much more than fruit. Don't like fast food
9. Favorite Place to Eat? Love asian fusion foods. Never eat fast food. Love indiam, ethiopian and Thai
10. Favorite dressing? Vinigrette, just a little
11.What kind of vehicle do you drive? Silver Z4 roadster...love it. Of course, it is stuck in my garage until the snow is gone...
12. What are your favorite clothes? For comfort, blue jeans and a turtle neck. Love necklaces, scarves and comfy shoes.
13. Where would you visit if you had the chance? I have been to most states and >40 countries, but I have never been to Hawaii or Australia (how wrong is that?) Planning to go to Hawaii for our 15th anniversary in September.
14. Cup 1/2 empty or 1/2 full? Full. I am generally very happy with life.
15. Where would you want to retire? Somewhere quiet with great hiking
16. Favorite time of day?Love late nights...wish I was a morning person, but never have been
17. Where were you born? LaCrosse Wisconsin
18. What is your favorite sport to watch? Anything live...not a huge fan of tv sports, except the Olympics which I love.
19. How many siblings? One sister who is 3 1/2 years younger
20. Favorite pastime/hobby: Photography, hiking
21. Who are you most curious about their responses to this? Spark buddies that I am still getting to know.
22. Bird watcher? Sometimes, we have a big bird feeder behind the house which is always busy. Also have turkeys who roost in the trees behind my house so I see them a lot
23. Are you a morning person or a night person? Night
24. Do you have any pets? A doberman, a deaf boxer, a tuxedo cat and a bunch of tropical fish
25. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share? I am speaking at an teaching conference in March in Orlando, which I am very excited about.
26. What did you want to be when you were little? a rock star, then an actress, then a skater, then a doctor...
27. What is your best childhood memory? Making angels in the snow with my mom
28. Are you a cat or dog person? both. My cat acts like a dog though, so maybe more dog than cat.
29. Are you married? Almost 15 years, to my best friend
30. Always wear your seat belt? Always...please wear your belt people, Cleaning people up after they go through the windshield at 65 mph is not fun...
31. Been in a car accident? Yes, 55 mph when I was 17. I can still hear the glass breaking
32. Any pet peeves? People who don't have a strong work ethic or who don't advocate for their patients
33. Favorite Pizza Toppings? Extra sauce, tomatos and onions
34. Favorite Flower? Bird of paradise
35. Favorite ice cream? Phish food, then rocky road
36. Favorite fast food restaurant? Panera - yummy sandwiches & soup
37. How many times did you fail your driver's test? Once...car stalled in the front parking lot so I had to come back the next day
38. From whom did you get your last email? Spark!
39. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble - I read a lot!
40. Do anything spontaneous lately? Signed up for a SCUBA class with hubby, why can't I find a nice CHEAP hobby? LOL
41. Like your job? LOVE my job. Feel incredibly lucky to care for people and teach medical students and residents (I am an Emergency Physician, flight doc and I run a residency program).
42. Broccoli? Yes!
43. What was your favorite vacation? Tie between travelling around China seeing the beauties of the past (and the pandas) and being on Safari in Kenya - both were fantastic!
44. Last person you went out to dinner with? My students and coworkers to celebrate something from work
45. What are you listening to right now? The superbowl...although I really just enjoy the commercials
46. What is your favorite color? Purple
47. How many tattoos do you have? LOL, none, but I really want one...I suspect that will be a reward for me at some point...maybe this summer?
48. How many people will fill this out? no idea...I'm hoping a few do!
49. What time did you finish this quiz? 2nd quarter of the superbowl
50. Coffee Drinker? Never...love hot tea though...Especially apple cinnamon spice
Get An Email Alert Each Time SPUNKYDUCKY Posts