Thursday, April 12, 2012
Springtime brings feelings of renewal and change and I feel like I need to do that with my weight loss efforts as well. I have been having a struggle with my health and have had to overcome some serious obstacles along the way. But, I am working with a doctor that is helping me fix these problems and I am starting to feel pretty good.
Now that I am feeling some relief I am able to focus on my fitness goals. What I have done is overhaul my workouts. I have been stuck in a rut. I have been doing the same workouts for the last 2 months and I have seen and felt no results. So, I have compiled all of my workout DVD's and I have arranged them where I have my workouts planned out a month in advance and I do a different DVD every day. I have also put the workouts down on my monthly calendar as an appointment so I have no excuse not to do them. So far I have done this for a week and it seems to be working! I am not bored and I am feeling changes happening in my body! I feel slimmer, taller, and stronger. No change on the scale yet but I can definitely feel the difference! I think I found what is going to work!
As for my nutrition, I have gone out and bought all the healthy foods I need to have a cleaner lifestyle. I have made smart substitutions that are healthier alternatives. For me, food is very important because I love it so much, so I have to find ways of having my favorite foods that are a bit healthier. So far so good on this too. I have substituted ground beef for ground turkey, low fat milk to almond milk as examples. I am also eating more greens and eating greek yogurt and hummus to name a few. I think that making these small changes are going to make a tremendous difference in my weight loss efforts.
As for support, I have my mom who I live with and we help each other be healthier. I have my friends here on Sparkpeople as well as on Facebook who I constantly turn to in times of need.
There are some things that I also would like to work on. One is to get more general daily activity going. Like wear my pedometer and get 10,000 steps a day. The other thing would be to get a Fit Club going of some kind. Where we meet and do workouts or walks together. These things are next on my list.
I am hoping these changes put the spark back in me to keep going and reach my goals!
Thursday, October 06, 2011
I just wanted to share some of my tips and tricks on how I have been successful at losing weight. If you implement these into your daily life and stick to them you will be successful too.
1. Upon waking- Drink a glass of water or herbal tea and do some stretching to start your day. Have positive happy thoughts first thing in the morning. It's important to start your day with good intention and positivity. Start your day with a smile. Read a funny joke or story or something truly inspiring. This will set the mood for your day.
2. Once awake- Within 1 hour of waking up, eat something...even if its just a piece of fruit or a slice of toast...you have to get your metabolism kicking in.
3. Get your workout done early in the day. That leaves less time for procrastinating or using no time as an excuse. It makes it easier too if you wear your workout clothes to bed. You should be doing: Cardio- at least 30 minutes 4-5 days a week and Weight training at least 15 minutes 2-3 days a week. Schedule in your workout time. It's as important as brushing your teeth. Most important, keep your workouts fun and varied to combat boredom.
4. Drink a protein/meal replacement shake as one of your meals daily. I do this after my workout. It gives me my vitamins and nutrients, gives me more energy, keeps me feeling fuller longer, and it reduces my cravings for sugar.
5. Eat smaller portions of your favorite foods. Eat on a smaller plate and use a larger fork. Also, when eating out share a meal with someone else or when ordering your food ask them immediately for a take out box and box half to take home before you start to eat. I also search out healthier versions and recipes of my favorite foods to try out at home.
6. Drink lots of water throughout the day. This helps to not only keep you hydrated, but it keeps you feeling full. Actually our bodies trick us sometimes by making us think we're hungry when we are actually thirsty. So drink up on the H20.
6. Cut back on sugary carbs, drinks, and foods. And, try and stay away from fried foods and fast food!! This is an important one!!
7. Remain active. Find ways to be more physically active during the day. Take the stairs and park farther away and walk. Stand and stretch at your desk. Take mini fitness breaks while at work. Wear a pedometer and track your steps.
8. Track your food and exercise and keep a journal. It's amazing what the power of journaling can do. Writing everything down helps to keep track of what your eating and how much your doing. It's a great motivator to try even harder to stick with your goals too.
9. Have a strong support system. Buddying up with someone is a great way to stay accountable with your goals and can help the other person stay on track too. It's a great way to coach each other along as well. The more friends you have on board that are living a healthier lifestyle the better.
10. Treat yourself on occasion, without the guilt! For me I don't want to feel deprived of anything that I want when it comes to food. Just allow yourself to splurge every once in a while...just do it moderately. It will only make your chances of losing much greater this way. If you are being too restrictive on yourself you are only setting yourself up for catastrophic failure. Also, treat yourself to some nice gifts for a job well done. After all, you deserve it!
Thursday, January 06, 2011
Well this year my only resolution I have is to be down two pants sizes by my birthday. That is six months so I think that is pretty reasonable. I have been walking on my treadmill 5 days a week for half an hour a day and I do my toning bands 3x a week for strength. Since October I have seen a 14 pound loss. So far down a pants size! yay! But of course with the holidays, which have come and gone, I wasn't following a very good diet and I went up a couple of pounds and now I am trying to get it back down again. I am in need of amping things up now for myself now that its a New Year.
I plan to make another change in my fitness plan and to join a fun dance class like Zumba. I need to change things up a bit because I am not seeing as much change happening now with just the walking.
I hope that by adding something new to my routine that it will be just what I need to starting losing those pesky pounds again.
I will keep everyone informed of my progress.
Friday, November 05, 2010
Well guys, I went a made a purchase for myself last week and it was a big purchase. I got myself a really nice treadmill, yep, I was worried about spending the money but now I feel differently. I have been on my new trusty treadmill every day (except for the days I have been working) for 30 minutes at 2mph. And much to my surprise, in one week I lost 3 pounds! I haven't seen the scale budge like that for a very long time! This is just the motivation I needed to keep going. I will eventually increase my speed, incline, and length but for now I am getting into the swing of it and loving it! I have more energy during the day and I can actually feel the difference in the one week. I think that buying this treadmill has been a lifesaver and I have never been so happy with any purchase I have made before. I plan on using it as often as I can because now there are no more excuses for me to not get the exercise! Lovin it! Looking forward to seeing more pounds drop! Yay!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SPARKLYGIRL66 Posts