Wednesday, February 16, 2011
I do believe I have lost weight through my hard work and determination. I have gained a lot of knowledge and gained many skills. Beck suggests we list what we have learned:
A. From Weight Watchers I learned:
1. Improved food choices; greatly reduced margarine, sugar, and white flour use
2. Learned to track food, including weighing and measuring
3. Learned portion control for protein, cereal, bread, and many items
4. Learned how to adapt some of my family's favorite recipes for greater health
5. Got in the routine of cardio - usually 30 min 5x a week
6. Learned to celebrate my weight loss and some non-scale victories at meetings
7. Learned to eat breakfast
8. Learned to eat frequently, but less; learned to rarely, if ever, allow myself to be hungry
9.Learned to satisfy cravings with lower calorie foods
10. Learned to think of 155 as my goal weight
11. Learned, after years of struggling, to begin to forgive myself for slips, and not give up; found tracking my binge free days with a group on WW message boards is helpful
12. Learned to keep symbols of my success around to remind me (key chain, mirror, refrig, bookmarks, magnets); anchoring
13. Learned about reframing and looking for the positive intent
14. Learned to gradually add back in food for maintenance
15. Learned to weigh and record weight regularly
16. Learned to include all foods, including some treats, in my plan
17. WW taught me how to get down to about 149 pounds
B. From SparkPeople I learned:
1. How much sodium I was eating and how to reduce my sodium intake, which I am doing
(For example, learned to drink skim milk rather than have fat free cheese; add unsalted veggies to reduced amounts of Healthy Choice soup and spaghetti sauce.)
2. Learned how important strength training is and included it for the first time.
3. Got up the nerve to join a gym, encouraged by SparkFriends. I can see muscles now!!
4. Learned more about portion control and tracking all foods.
5. Got lots of ideas about maintenance meal plans which I had never seen before.
6. Found many more good recipes; made some
7. Learned that more cardio is good; increased to 360-540 minutes per week; encouraged to try many new things: elliptical, trail bike riding, race walking, pilates, Zumba, etc.
8. Learned that 8 glasses of water per day is helpful
9. Learned that sleep matters even more than I thought & increased sleep (more needed)
10. Learned I can include nuts in a healthy eating plan; learned I need to eat more fat, (but don't always - hard to do and stick to calorie limit)
11. Learned that I need to limit artificial sweetener to no more than 4 packets or equivalents per day; on my To Do list! Have already cut down a great deal on diet drinks.
12. Learned to gradually expose myself to foods I thought I could not handle; I can!
13. Learned more acceptance of myself including my body
14. Enjoyed opportunity to be of help to others
15. Came to understand at a deeper level the importance of progress, not perfection
16. Learned about calorie deficits
17. SparkPeople helped me get down below 130 -- to the weight I've wanted to be since I was a teen!
C. What Beck has taught me:
1. Learned the importance of sitting down to eat - almost 100% of the time now
2. Learned I can handle hunger -- it does not even cause me to binge, at least not now
3. Learned to recognize hunger much better; Hunger is not an emergency. It goes away.
4. Learned I can tolerate cravings. Cravings are not emergencies. They go away.
5. Learned I can leave food on my plate
6. Learned that deciding to eat or deciding not to eat reduces my anxiety
7. Pre-planning food allows for NO CHOICE and NO STRUGGLES; I have actually planned food up front for the first time
8. Learned that the more I resist food temptation, the easier it becomes
9. Reviewing all the reasons I want to maintain my healthy weight at least twice a day is (surprise!) very motivating
10. I've learned to give myself credit, so I rely on the awards and applause at Weight Watchers much less; still enjoy my SP trophies and streaks, but probably I don't need them
11. I've learned to prepare myself to step on the scale in a way that avoids much of the disappointment I used to feel; learning to use the scale as a tool
12. Beginning to learn portion control on fruits and vegetables
13. The Beck SparkTeam rocks!!
14. Beck has taught me that I have learned the skills I need to maintain my healthy weight for the rest of my life.
This very long list I suspect has not captured near all my learnings. I appreciate Beck giving me this activity. It does raise my confidence that I have learned what I need to know to maintain a healthy weight for the rest of my life.
I DO Believe!!!