Saturday, September 08, 2012
I was writing this brilliant blog (LOL) about how I found my inner jock, when it disappeared in front of me. Oh, well. So much has happened, I'll just stick to my usual updates of my life in the maintenance lane:
* First, I have water!! The kitchen now has a working sink, dishwasher, and ice maker. I have counters. There is still a matter of the cabinet doors, tiling the backsplash, and the counter edges, but I really can cook now. Thank heavens! Maintenance will be easier for me.
* I went in faith. My hubby dropped me off this morning at 6am and left to go see his beloved Vols play football today. He took the car. It is 5.12 miles from our running start point home and I figured I could walk it alone. Didn't want to, though, due to dogs and high grass and bad traffic. I got a ride half way home and walked mostly on sidewalk the rest of the way. I really enjoyed the 5 mile group run.
*I should confess, though, that a fast car startled me when I was crossing and I backed up on the curb, missing in my klutzy way. I scraped my elbow a bit and I bet my backside will be dark for a while. No real harm done.
* While hubby is gone for 3 days, my plan is to eat like I was at a spa. I have plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, skim milk, tuna steaks and chicken breast, brown rice and quinoa. I've never tried quinoa before, so I'll let you know what I think.
* I do have one meal out planned, though. Monday is grandparents day at my 5 year old's school. The baby and I are invited to go eat in the cafeteria. I'm hoping it will be something healthy, but if not, I'll eat a little and talk a lot!!
Hope all my SparkFriends and SparkFriends-to-be are having a great weekend!!
Friday, September 07, 2012
Just 6 days of really good eating at the bottom of my maintenance calorie range and I registered a loss of 5.6 pounds at Weight Watchers today. I went from last Saturday weighing the most I'd weighed in 2.5 years to today being my lowest weigh-in since February of this year. What a surprise!
There is a lesson here. I really don't think I should sweat these fluctuations so much. That said, it's far better to address a 2 or 3 or 5 pound gain than let it build to 10 or 15 or 25 pounds like I have many times. Still looking for the right balance.
I'm not surprised that after 3.5 years of maintaining an 80+ pound loss, given my 5 decades of living overweight, I still don't have it all together. Honestly, I'm more surprised to see how well I am doing!! But that doesn't mean I'm complacent. I still want to aim for excellent eating habits and a very small range of weight fluctuation.
Thursday, September 06, 2012
Another good healthy eating day yesterday, hitting all the nutritional goals I track (calories, carbs, fat, protein, sodium, fiber, calcium).
Despite the fact that I am just eating at the bottom of my maintenance calorie range, it didn't take me near as long as I thought it would to get back within my goal weight range. This morning I was there, near the top, at 129.0 pounds, down 5 pounds from Saturday. (Maybe water weight? I have been eating out more as kitchen is being remodeled.) I would like to stay around 126 with a range between 124 and 129, but my actual range is more like 129 to 134. So I'd like to lose around 5 pounds.
For now, I'm just going to continue to eat at the bottom of my maintenance range and see how that works out. Definitely want to keep up my energy for running. I don't think that is just an excuse. It's not, is it?? I enjoyed a great 50 minute TM run today and felt full of energy!!!
And while I'm asking questions, are any of you, my SparkFriends, tired of me moaning about little gains? Especially when the gain doesn't last but a few days? Perhaps I should start keeping these gains to myself!! I do have some WW friends that don't consider it a gain unless it lasts a month. I'm still afraid to go that long without tightening up my eating. How do you look at it??
Wednesday, September 05, 2012
* No change in the kitchen. (Grrr-rrr-rrr. Arggghhhh!) Predictable, but frustrating anyway.
* Did 30 minute stationary bike and 30 minutes elliptical trainer this morn at the Y.
* Last night I ate nothing after supper -- absolutely nothing. Hooray!! I haven't done that for months and months. It wasn't even hard. I was ready for it. Ate at 5:30 pm and went to bed at 10:30, did not wake up in the middle of the night, and did not wake up this morning ravenous. I hit almost all my nutritional goal yesterdays: calories, protein, fiber, calcium, sodium. I was slightly over on carbs and slightly under on fat, but will be sure to get in my olive oil today and cut back a touch on the fruit. (There's this new fruit stand between my house and my daughter's house and the plums, the peaches, the bananas, the honeycrisp apples, the berries -- well, yum!!)
* Scale was down 1.4 pounds from yesterday. Only .3 from being at the top of my acceptable goal weight range and 4.2 over my "happy weight" of 126. In response to comment yesterday, I would love to be able to get an accurate body fat percentage reading in order to rely less on the scale for feedback, but my attempts with static measures and calipers have been obviously flawed. There is no BodPod close to me and even if there were I might be too claustrophobic to do it. I've also read that BodPod is not precise either. My body fat percentage has varied from 26.7% to 33.5% using the imprecise measures I have available. I think those rather poor numbers are due to years of yo-yo dieting when I undoubtedly lost a lot of muscle and gained back mostly fat.
* In answer to a question on my blog yesterday, the qualifying statewide 5K Road Race for the national senior games is on Saturday, December 8th, in my hometown. Women's qualifying times are 27:21 for ages 60-64 and 28:09 for ages 65-69. If I don't qualify this year, maybe when I move up an age group?? I'm 63 now.
Tuesday, September 04, 2012
* Went 4.5 miles on TM today, running 3.1 miles of it. If the TM was calibrated correctly I ran my fastest 5K ever, 27:30. For my age group, to qualify for the national senior games 5K you have to run 27:21 or under. Who knows? I just might achieve that!
* Kitchen remodeling is crawling along. Currently have stove, microwave, and refrig, but no water, no sink, no dishwasher. Cabinets are in but without doors. Everything that is finished looks good.
* I'm weighing on the average about 2 pounds more than I did a month ago, and that was 3 pounds more than I wanted to weigh. Not going to do anything drastic, but just going to try to focus on healthy, healthy eating. Will be easier when I have a full kitchen, but I am not gaining one more ounce no matter what!
* I've asked myself if I am nuts, and I've decided I'm not. I think it is perfectly okay for me to celebrate 3.5 years maintaining a big loss (80+ pounds), but still bemoan that it's not always easy; that I'm not always eating with the control I want; and that my weight is a pound (or 5) more than I wish.
Get An Email Alert Each Time SLENDERELLA61 Posts