Saturday, October 11, 2008
Super Size Me--a movie--answers to questions for a nutrition class in college
1) What was Morgan Spurlock’s, lowest blood pressure before he started eating the McDonald’s diet? 120/80
2) What was his total cholesterol? 168
3) What was his triglyceride level? 43
4) What did the doctors expect his triglyceride levels to do? Expected them to increase
5) How tall was he and what was his starting weight? 6 feet 2 inches; 185.5 pounds
6) According to the BMI chart found in the very back of your text, what was his starting BMI ? 24
7) According to Morgan the average New Yorker walks how many miles every day? 4 to 5 miles per day
8) Where are there more McDonald’s than anywhere else in the world? Manhatten Island, New York
9) Morgan’s girlfriend is a vegan chef. What is a vegan chef? Uses no animal products at all
10) How many rules did Morgan follow for the month of McDonald’s eating? 4
11) According to the video, Americans eat approximately 40% of our meals at fast-food restaurants?
12) McDonald’s lures in children with toys, playgrounds, birthday parties, happy meals, etc.
13) In what year did the Surgeon General of the U.S. first call attention to the obesity epidemic? 2000
14) One typical bagel is really 5 servings of bread.
15) According to Morgan our toxic food environment is constant to cheap, available food.
16) What techniques does McDonald’s use to “brand imprint” children? Good associations-being with mom and dad, birthday parties, toys, fun with friends playing on the playground, warm feelings especially being with mom and day.
17) Burt Baskin, co-founder of Baskin-Robbins, died of a heart attack at age 51
18) On average how many calories/day was Morgan eating after just 5 days on the McDonald’s diet?
5000 calories per day.
19) How long did it take Morgan to get bored with McDonald’s menu?9 days
20) The average American child sees 10,000 food commercials per year on TV – 95% for these foods
3) Sugar cereals, soft drinks, candy
21) How did the Appleton, Wisconsin school solve their at-risk student’s discipline problems? Changed what they fed the students & quit offering food with sugar, high fat, processed, with preservatives, food colorings/dyes, etc.
22) The alternative school at Appleton serves food that is low fat, low sugar, non-chemically processed, has no dyes, or preservatives; however, their meals are full of whole grains, and fresh fruits and vegetables. As a result, students’ behaviors are better and they seem more focused. Their teachers get better performance from them in class.
23) Of the top 15 fattest cities in the U.S. how many are in Texas? Five.
24) What is a calorie? An energy unit of measure. It is defined as the energy required to heat one gram of water by one degree C.
25) Only 7 items at McDonalds do not have sugar. Even the salads contains sugar.
26) About ½ way through the month, the doctor advised Morgan to stop the McDonald’s diet because he was hurting his liver
27) At Morgan’s final weigh-in, he weighed 210 lbs., a gain of 24.5 lbs. in 30 days.
28) He doubled his risk of coronary disease.
29) Morgan consumed 30 lbs. of sugar during his 30-day McDonald’s diet and 12 lbs. of FAT.
30) It took Morgan 8 weeks to get his liver and blood levels back to normal.
31) It took him a total of 5 months to lose the weight he had gained on the 30-day McDonald’s Diet.