Sunday, January 06, 2013
Here we are at the beginning of a new week! I've just finished planning out my lessons for the week. I'm teaching a new class at Kaplan and it's all about idioms! I have a book called "A Year in the Life of an ESL Student" and a list of some popular songs (all with idioms highlighted). I have the whole week's lessons planned. I know what I need to make copies of and what to put in a little power point presentation.
When I finished planning that I decided to look through all the recipes that I've saved on Pinterest (and there are many!) and plan some meals for the week. My breakfast will be a smoothie and a breakfast sandwich. I have some SmartOnes sandwiches stocked in my freezer just in case I'm feeling too lazy to make sandwiches from scratch. I also have lots of frozen fruit, some skim milk, and some greek yogurt stocked up. My lunches will be either a SmartOnes meal, a sandwich or wrap, or some bite sized snacks. All of this is aimed towards keeping me away from the hundreds of Dunkin Donuts and other fast food places near my school.
Dinners will be far more interesting. My boyfriend and I are experimenting with some different stuff to pull us away from our all pasta/meat/veggies all the time stuff. And it will certainly keep us away from ordering pizza or subs.
Here are the various things I'd like to try for dinner. We'll see if Boyfriend agrees!
1. Black beans and rice (or quinoa) with diced tomatoes seasoned with garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, and cilantro.
2. White chili (made with white beans, salsa, chicken broth, cooked chicken, and some mozzarella cheese). I want to add a veggie to this, not sure what. Maybe some spinach?
3. Whole wheat pasta in a butternut squash sauce with italian sausage, fresh spinach, garlic, shallots, parmesan, and sage.
4. Turkey stuffed peppers (red bell peppers stuffed with ground turkey, black beans, corn, green pepper, tomato, garlic, onions, cilantro, and cumin topped with monterey jack cheese)
5. Boyfriend makes awesome pizza! He makes his own whole wheat crust and tops it with some sauce, lots of different veggies, and some cheese. Sometimes there's a little bit of pepperoni on there too. Not always. Anyway, his pizza has become a weekly staple for us.
I also plan on making some zucchini tots (with zucchini, egg, onion, sharp cheddar, and bread crumbs) and stuffed mushrooms (maybe with some laughing cow cheese stuffed inside). Those should be handy bite-sized things to keep around for snacks and lunches.
I also am setting a goal for myself this week. Before I eat anything I will think to myself "Am I hungry? Or am I reaching for this out of stress/boredom?" If the answer isn't hunger, I will not eat what I'm reaching for. I also need to get back to the gym a few times this week. I've been lax on it!