Monday, June 30, 2014
After my kiddo went to summercamp today, I decided to do dance/Strength Training while doing laundry.
Essentially, it goes like this: I turn on some party mix music and dance as I fold and hang laundry. However, as I'm folding, I'm putting them into piles as far as where they belong. Sometimes I do Strength Training as I'm putting them down, sometimes I do it when I "empty" a spot (finish putting it away), sometimes I do both.
The kiddo left late today, I only did my strength training as I emptied the spots.
I also did my laundry in the living room, which is across the house from the bedroom.. so every time I finished I pile, I carried the hung clothing into the bedroom, and went back for more.
Overall, I laundry-cized about 16 minutes and burned 127 calories. Not bad. Especially since my goal (for now) is at least 100 calories burned every morning I do this!
Edit: My son went to summercamp, not school. Oops!
Sunday, June 29, 2014
Well, SparkFriends, I'm back for now!
Hopefully this time will be longer than last time, but I'm a bit wary of the site changes, so we'll see. (I do like the Recent feature on the Nutrition Page, though!)
I can't say I'm a fan of the new Start Page. It is functional, yes, in that it lets you track all in one place... but, it took me 4 days... FOUR. DAYS. to find where my blog link went to. I even went to the Community/Blogs page, and I didn't see the link there either.
It could be because I'm blind as a bat, but that's a discussion for another day.
Another thing I'm a bit wary of is the changes to goals. I know SparkPeople did their update where the Fitness Page and the Nutrition Pages talked to each other and would give you your recommended calorie range based on that...
..but, since I was here last, I gained 20 pounds (more on that later).. and really ought to readjust my calorie goals. I tried doing that, but apparently the site won't automatically do it for you anymore unless you've got it set to talk to the fitness page. Which, I'd rather not do at this time.
If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know!
Once I get past the first page and the site trying to push the new Nutrition/Fitness page OTP on me, I'm pretty good. The site looks pretty much like I remember it being. The added features are.. interesting.. but I can ignore those for now if I choose to.
After all, my main goal for being here is to get recommitted to losing weight and living a healthier life.
At about this time last year, I was 180lbs, give or take. We were house-hunting, and we finally found a house. The house was not without its expensive problems, and it's been a bit of a stressful 6 months since we've moved in (Feb 2014.)
Adding to that, my fitness routine took a backseat to everything else - chores, namely - as I tried justifying to myself that a clean house and clean laundry come first, and that I could move while I was doing that. Yes, I did dance and fold laundry at the same time- but, it really doesn't burn that many calories.
And right when I was starting to think about walking in the mornings before work - Summer Break hits.. and now my son doesn't leave the house until much later in the mornings. I -could- leave him home alone to go on my walks, but I'd rather not.. and after he leaves, I won't have enough time to walk, come home, clean up, and prep for work... without running the risk of being late for work. After work doesn't work either, because I eat pretty much right afterwards, and my family, sadly, is the kind to ramp down and relax after dinner.
Obviously, something needs to change - but the above scenario is where I've been at the last several months.
Nutritionally, I thought I was doing okay. A large banana (sometimes with Peanut Butter) in the mornings, an apple for snack.. but then we have unhealthy dinners, which I eat for lunch as leftovers. So, overall, I guess that's kind of a wash, as well.
Which is why it's super important for me to figure out where my calories NEED to be, so I can correctly gauge if I'm eating the right amounts of my calories.
Since I'm still kind of searching for the right fitness routine for me, controlling my weight through diet is going to be important. I know there was a calculation guide somewhere on SparkPeople for the recommended weekly/daily calorie intake. I guess I'll have to find that and use that for now.
As far as fitness, just because I'm not sure what I want to do right now doesn't mean I'm giving up on it either! I'm going to try going on at least two walks a week (Sunday/Wednesday), and from there try to figure out what I can do on the other days of the week. I'm thinking maybe an after-dinner dance session or something.... but we'll see for now.
- I cut my hair the shortest its ever been!
- Going to be starting a Square Foot Garden soon. Waiting on rain gutters to be installed.
- I have a flower pot garden - the poor flowers don't like the Florida heat so much though, so I have to water them daily and be careful of overwatering.
- i turned 31 last Monday! I had the best chocolate cake with peanut butter cream cheese frosting ever! It was so good and rich that no one, not even my brothers who could eat ANYTHING, could finish their slices. This, and the weight on the scale the next day, prompted me to get back here!
- My last blog mentioned my cat had some eye problems - she's doing just fine right now!
- Oh, and the house we bought was NOT the house from the update last year. That house had termite problems that would've been a major headache for us to handle. So, we bought a different house instead. Still in the same City/County, though (♥ Brevard!)
I'm going to try to blog daily, or at least weekly. I will NOT make any promises though, because if I promise, and break it, I'll feel bad, and that may make me stop alltogether. But, I'll try.
Monday, August 12, 2013
- The 30 Day Shred workout on Thursday is still kicking my butt (or legs, actually) today. Though, if I'm going to be honest, I did do a leg workout on Saturday, and it's probably taking its time to heal with that.
- I did NOT exercise Friday or Sunday. I wanted to swim and exercise today, but the pool's closed, and after taking the kiddo to a park, I am completely zapped of energy. I did manage to swing for a little bit, but I don't think that really counts as exercise.
- We put up an offer for a house we really liked. Many negatives of the house are minor repairs, like screen repair, re-sodding the lawn.. but we don't know how old the roof is, so we need to get that checked out (bank owned property, that know nothing about the house.)
- Cat's eye seems to be bugging her. I thought it was just one of those "happens every now and again" type of things, but her eye's been half-closed, off and on, for the better part of a week now. I made an appointment with the vet on Wednesday.
- Took the kiddo to registration for school today. He starts on Wednesday.
- Foodwise, I've been making some pretty decent decisions. I am snacking a lot on chips/crackers though today, and need to curb that.
Thursday, August 08, 2013
I didn't use any weights.
I modified the exercises to take it "easy" on myself.
Those exercises are KILLER!
I managed to do it all, however... but now- 13 hours later- I am really starting to feel it. Makes me wonder about tomorrow and how I'll feel then!
It's the last day of Summercamp for the kiddo, so although I told him we were walking, I might treat him by driving over instead... and take it easy on any sore muscles I may have!
We'll see how I'm feeling tomorrow though.
Wednesday, August 07, 2013
Overall, today was a good day.
I got a good workout in. While it wasn't intense, it was still a pretty good calorie burn (brisk walk.)
I ate fairly decent for most of the day, very little junk food (one gummy bear.)
We saw houses, found one we really liked and contacted our Realtor about possibly making an offer on it. We're waiting to hear back from a few parties regarding that portion of the process.
Tomorrow, I need to drive kiddo to school, so my fitness will be randomized from the flash cards I made a few months ago. Let's pull it now: 30-Day Shred, Level 3
Hooboy. I think I'll leave the weights in the corner when I do that one!
Get An Email Alert Each Time SHINAKO Posts