Friday, March 04, 2011
I have battled the scale up and down my whole life. At 56, on HRT, and 30 lbs overweight, I was committing to making a LIFESTYLE change, not a diet. A program offered by the medical university in my town worked. The battle mostly is behavior modification and commitment. period. We're smart and capable, but our brains test us. ;-). Stay engaged. If you have a bad moment or day, ride the wave, get over it and re-commit.
I AM in charge of how I am going to lead my life. I'm the one with the brain- not that tortilla chip I want to eat.
These rules helped me meet my goal of losing my weight and FINALLY - keeping it off. for life.
1. Exercise is mandatory. I mean sweat equity for life.
2. Nutrition? For me my best weight loss occurred maintaining a intake of 1200-1400 calories. If I went below, I could not lose. Eliminate all processed foods; remove added salt and sugar. for life.
3. Drink water. Lots of it. No sodas and very very little alcoholic beverages. for life.
4. Be mindful of everything you do and eat. If it's not GOOD for you, don't eat/drink it. Get off the couch and take a hike for life.
5. This is what worked for me for life.
6. This is NOT a diet. This is a Lifestyle. Moderation is key. Be smart and realistic.
7. SparkPeople was key. It helps me especially in journaling my nutrition and exercise.
When it doesn't work anymore, I'll re-evaluate.